Foxhole has been released on Steam.

Started by AchillesLastStand, July 31, 2017, 12:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hofstadter

Yeah I shouldnt have bought this game. Very unfriendly to new players.

The current mechanics is basically flipping you off. "go ahead, find something to do, hope somebody doesnt give you bad info or lie, what do i care"
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Dread Rlyeh

Quote from: Hofstadter on August 20, 2017, 11:41:37 PM
Yeah I shouldnt have bought this game. Very unfriendly to new players.

The current mechanics is basically flipping you off. "go ahead, find something to do, hope somebody doesnt give you bad info or lie, what do i care"
A lot obviously rides on the team composition.  Thankfully there are plenty of full servers and I've just been able to switch to another if there were a bunch of excessively toxic players or complete uncoordination.  There is a quite a bit of chaos currently as people learn the game and whatnot, but I expected that to improve as well as the devs improving squads.  In my own experience I've encountered more helpful players than thieves or trolls.

If you are in a newish game and want to practice combat a bit and help out the team, you can either harass or defend scrapyards.  Before they are walled off and littered with foxholes, there is often action.  Just hide in a bush until someone either comes to attack or to mine and let them have it.  Also, people will often try to steal sulfur early on too as it takes 3 hours to respawn. 

Yskonyn

The view was not such a problem for me.
I bailed because I was expecting a big war between two sides on a large single server, not small pockets with a fragmented community where it really depends much on which group of people you join to have a decent gameplay experience.

My two days of play were nothing more than running around looking for something to do, getting scared away from production sites because people were afraid you took their stuff or trying to get people to communicate at all.
There are too much nice games to play for me to try to like this one.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

AchillesLastStand

Foxhole released the Foundation of War update a few weeks ago which added quite a bit of content.

"The biggest update in Foxhole history is live! The entire game has been revamped with a Visual Overhaul, World Redesign, Urban Warfare, and full fledged end game content like Battle Tanks and Ballistic Rocket super weapons".
https://store.steampowered.com/app/505460/Foxhole/

Picked this up on the Steam sale and so far has been worth the 13$,
You can help with supply/logistics or just grab a rifle/ammo and head to the front to try and turn the tide. They even added a small Naval element.

Huw the Poo

I'm very tempted but I try not to buy games in early access (although I can't always resist).  When is full release?

AchillesLastStand

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 01, 2019, 04:23:57 AM
I'm very tempted but I try not to buy games in early access (although I can't always resist).  When is full release?

Got this from the games official site,  "When will the full game be released?

Foxhole is currently available on Steam "Early Access" which you can find here. Given the ambitious goals we have for Foxhole, we imagine it will be quite a long time before we're ready for a "full release".

Not sure when that was posted but the game already has quite a bit of content. Played back when it was free{well over a year ago} and it is literally night and day. Played for a few hours last night and for 13 bucks I consider it worth the money. As I posted earlier you can fight on the frontlines, help with manufacturing{as everything in the game is player made} supply, logistics, even drive a vehicle/tank and there are even 3 different naval vessels. And the world map is HUGE.

Lotsa good info on the wiki    https://foxhole.gamepedia.com/Foxhole_Wiki

Huw the Poo

Thanks mate.  I really am very tempted by this.  Are there guilds or equivalent?

Edit: I realise I can look stuff up but I like to keep a conversation going on the forum. :)

Bardolph

Yes, there are units. Haven't paid any attention to them so far other than to note they exist. I haven't had much trouble finding folks to work or fight alongside when I want to, though the quality of leadership can vary wildly lol!
Easily worth the $12 I spent already.

jomni

Played a lot of this. But couldn't get myself to like the limited field of view.

AchillesLastStand

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 01, 2019, 02:54:13 PM
Thanks mate.  I really am very tempted by this.  Are there guilds or equivalent?

Edit: I realise I can look stuff up but I like to keep a conversation going on the forum. :)

Yes there are guilds.

Ubercat

Is there a good way to pick your faction equitably? Maybe the first thing you do is pick what side to play and I'd like to choose based on whichever side is behind in numbers so I can even things out. Also and related, can you be on more than one server at a time? How do you pick a server at the start?
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Bardolph

Not sure. I joined the Wardens at the start and according to the world map we were doing very well but everywhere I actually went we were being hard pressed by the Colonials.

I think the numbers fluctuate enough during actual play that over numbers don't mean that much. Just a theory.

JasonPratt

It seems like there should be a Groggy guild...  :coolsmiley:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tuna

When it's a new war, do you get to choose a different group?

Bardolph