Achtung! Cthulhu Tactics Coming to Steam Tomorrow

Started by Barthheart, October 03, 2018, 02:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

MengJiao

Quote from: Barthheart on October 03, 2018, 02:12:11 PM
This looks to be right up Airboy's alley...

Cool, but probably the trailer is the best thing about the whole thing.

airboy

I'll probably put this on my wishlist - unless it is unplayable.

At the moment I'm playing Depth of Extinction which is also turn-based, squad combat.  It is just as "meh" so far as the early Alpha game I played two years ago.

Steelgrave

^In your studies you might learn we don't care for spammers....or bots. 

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

FarAway Sooner

He could be a bot...

Or he could be an extra-dimensional being who's feeble awakenings result in seemingly meaningless internet chatter.  Either way, we won't really know until it's too late.

Have you guys any read of the original Lovecraft stuff?  When you realize he was writing after Jules Verne and Poe, but before anybody else, you realize how gifted he was. 

And his stories are really f'ed up.

bob48

Aye, I have read it - I think I've still got some on my Kindle.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

DennisS

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on October 10, 2018, 02:43:45 PM
He could be a bot...

Or he could be an extra-dimensional being who's feeble awakenings result in seemingly meaningless internet chatter.  Either way, we won't really know until it's too late.

Have you guys any read of the original Lovecraft stuff?  When you realize he was writing after Jules Verne and Poe, but before anybody else, you realize how gifted he was. 

And his stories are really f'ed up.

I purchased the complete works of H.P. Lovecraft just a month or so ago. Terrific stories, much darker than Poe or other fantasy writers.

airboy

This will come as a shock, but I read all of Lovecraft's stuff in the 1980s.  I have the books on acid free paper hardbacks.  I also have them on Kindle.

You can get a complete set of Lovecraft books on Kindle very inexpensively.  His stuff went out of copyright a very long time ago.  This is the reason why there are so many games, books and game systems using his concepts.  You don't get screened by the authors descendants and you have free reign to do what you want with his worlds.

It is ironic that Lovecraft suicided after having very little success.  Yet his works are extraordinarily influential in computer gaming, RPGs, tabletop games, horror literature, and fantasy literature.  Tolkien is very influential, but not so much in the gaming world because his stuff is still under copyright.

airboy

The Steam reviews for this game are not encouraging.  There were a swarm of early positive reviews.  Then the reviews started coming in from people who were not beta testers. 

The more current reviews all say the same thing - good and bad.  Not much plot.  Linear combat.  Not a lot of variety.  The game is too easy.

Destraex

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Skwerl

Has anyone played this yet?  I'm on the fence. I'm a Lovecraft fanatic (have been since the paperback reissues in the late 70s) but the reviews make me wonder if there's $30 of value here.

Pete Dero

Different game but might be interesting for the fans.

Call of Cthulhu, the official videogame adaptation of Chaosium's pen-and-paper RPG, has gone Gold, ready for its release on October 30 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC. Today, dive into the Preview to Madness Trailer for a taste of the press' first impressions, joined by a dose of Lovecraftian madness.

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/194422/gone-gold-call-of-cthulhu

Interesting small fun fact : if you run Cthulhu through the spell checker it suggests to replace it with Catholic ...