Ships!

Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

QuoteMontebello, a 118 gun French first-rate ship of the line, laid down at Toulon in 1810, here circa 1850 when she was fitted with an experimental steam engine

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

QuoteFrench Ironclad Hoche, circa 1900

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

QuoteAn MH-60S Seahawk prepares to land aboard the Sea Fighter during flight deck certification off the coast of San Diego

mirth

Airborne Rifles

Pictures of some of the recreational areas of a Russian Typhoon-class sub. I'd heard that since they were designed to remain at sea for extended periods that the ships had been designed with a sauna and a pool. Turns out that was correct, although the pool is a small one.

http://russianambience.com/inside-giant-russian-typhoon-class-submarine-tk-17-arkhangelsk/

As a parent, I also appreciate the Huggies brand cardboard diaper box stuffed into the arcade game:

More at the link.

Staggerwing

Those aren't arcade games- they're training simulators.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Steelgrave

Quote from: Staggerwing on February 25, 2018, 10:05:10 PM
Those aren't arcade games- they're training simulators.

You're correct. Formally Top Secret documentation shows a Russian nuclear war simulation in action below.

mirth

BanzaiCat

Was the FSF-1 ever put into production? I'm guessing no since a Wiki article says it was under development until 2008.

mirth

Think it was just a testbed.

mirth

QuoteHMCS Iroquois firing a Sea Sparrow missile.

mirth

QuoteHMS Queen Elizabeth and RFA Tidespring meet up at sea for refuelling

mirth

QuoteBattleships HMS Barham and HMS Ramillies fire off a salute with the Battleship Dunkerque in the background, dressed up with a White Ensign, Spithead Fleet Review, 1937.

mirth

QuoteKönigsberg-class light cruiser SMS Stettin, veteran of the Battle of Heligoland Bight, guided by a tug.

mirth

QuoteA starboard beam view of the Vermont (BB-20) with a flying boat in the foreground.