What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinetree

Turtledove has some great ideas but his writing is truly crap. I've read a few of Bond and actually quite enjoyed them, mostly his early stuff with Patrick Larkin. His sequel to Red Phoenix was pretty good too.

I've just started reading Shelby Foote's Civil War trilogy, I'd read the first 2 1/2 books years ago but had stopped for some reason so trying it again. Really enjoying it, he's a great writer.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Sir Slash

Just started, "Killing England" Bill O'Reilly's latest.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

NPR Interview with Candace Millard, author of "Hero of the Empire: The Boer War, a Daring Escape, and the Making of Winston Churchill"

http://www.npr.org/2017/09/26/544447697/how-the-boer-war-helped-winston-churchill-become-the-hero-of-the-empire
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Greybriar

I just started reading The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History by Thomas E. Woods. (Yes, it is politically incorrect!)
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Sir Slash

I loved all the P.I.G. (Politically Incorrect Guide) books.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Crossroads

Purchased the kindle edition of "Tank Warfare on the Eastern Front 1941-1942".

An interesting read so far, especially as it makes the point how badly Stalin's purges affected Soviet Mech Formations especially, as that's where their most brilliant young commanders were, and those were the first who got executed. Thus, from the revolutionary "Deep Strike" tactic, down they went, and were utterly unprepared to Barbarossa, especially on use of their tank formations.

Strong critic on German approach to war as well, how slow they were in getting modern medium tanks even out. The definitive advantage of their experienced and skilled officer core made such a difference in the beginning of war, when they were so utterly unprepared for a long war in their part.

About a quarter of the book read so far, but can recommend this already. A few dimes under $3.00, won't break your budget either  O0   
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Staggerwing

Thanks for the review. I went to buy it and found that I already own it!  ::)

Now maybe I'll actually read it. Between Kindle and Steam I have enough forgotten books and games to keep me busy until the heat-death of the Universe.

lazy link for US kindles: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OZ3HSNA/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

I read that Schwerpunkt book last winter - it's quite academic. Go to me the 2nd book as well, waiting to be read (1943-1945).

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Crossroads

Quote from: Gusington on October 01, 2017, 10:41:40 AM
I read that Schwerpunkt book last winter - it's quite academic. Go to me the 2nd book as well, waiting to be read (1943-1945).

The first chapter with the background on tank development, trainng, logistics, he could have spent more time with it. Just finished the second chapter, it's back to more traditional Barbarossa writing, but since it is solely concentrating on tank warfare (where combined arms or lack of play a role), it's perhaps not that distinctive anymore.

Yet, the author is denying the German loss reports by David Glantz for instance, so he is offering an alternative view there too.

Very good value for three bucks, still  :)
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

trailrunner

Staggerwing

There was a great episode of American Experience on PBS a while back, called Into the Deep, all about American Whalers. It used the story of the Essex as a sort of centerpiece.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/whaling/
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

^cool. Thanks for the heads up, 'wing.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

I am finally about to start reading Salem's Lot! Either tonight or tomorrow. Psyched!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

I finished Hell Divers II last night - good read. Not as excellent as the first, but pretty good in and of itself.

Now I've moved to a bit of fluff called Zombie Road: Convoy of Carnage.