Main Menu

Lux Deluxe

Started by solops, September 23, 2018, 10:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

has anyone played this Risk-like game available on Steam? I am curious. All of the Risk PC games are really awful. I wondered if this similar game was any better vs AI.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

JasonPratt

I haven't played it, but my impression is that Lux has a great reputation!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

solops

JP, that is my impression as well based on the Steam feedback and the fact that the boards are still quasi-current. There are enough dissenters to warrant a few questions, though. I also found "Lux Alliance" which appears to be the same game but with WEGO turn resolution rather than IGOUGO. Can anyone shed any light on these and their AI?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Boggit

I have it and play it from time to time when I don't want to invest too much brainpower into a game.

It is basically Risk, but you can tweak it to make it less random in the options. It's not a bad game at all and there are dozens of new maps for it, most of which add some interesting strategic decisions as to whether to risk fast expansion, or to deter your opponent with a more gradual build up. I recommend buying it in a sale, as basically it is a glitter version of Risk.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

em2nought

I played the demo back when it may have been just "Lux",  I thought it was the best Risk game that I'd ever tried.  Plays nice and fast and the various AIs seemed pretty good.  I've bought it since on some sale.  Like most digital games I've bought, I haven't gotten around to installing it.  Not sure what's up with that, I need to look back through many emails to find all the games I've bought.  I just don't seem to have much time for gaming anymore.  :'(
Stolen elections have consequences.

spelk

Lux and all its variations over the years was always about the flexibility of custom maps and downloading new ones to try out. If you like Risk style games, you should give it a crack.

For multiplayer Risk I used to play a fair bit of Conquer Club, which is free to play - but I think theres a subscription model if you want to host (I can't remember the details - it was a long time ago). But again the site has a wide variety of interesting maps to play in a multiplayer, via your browser setting.

https://www.conquerclub.com/

Again, worth a look. Maybe not a sub, unless you get seriously into it.