Am I smoking crack?

Started by acctingman, September 20, 2017, 08:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richie61

Bob is right about BoB too. I have the KS stuff for sale or maybe trade of CoH stuff  ;)

QuoteBand of Brothers board game series with remastered editions of Screaming Eagles, Ghost Panzer, and the new Texas Arrows.

$125 plus shipping.

It's $195 less shipping for all three titles less the Kick Starter goals.

Brand new and never opened.

1 copy of the remastered edition of GHOST PANZER, 1 copy of the remastered edition SCREAMING EAGLES, plus the new TEXAS ARROWS. Also all stretch goals reached during campaign.

Stretch Goal #1
A Full Color Printed Battle Manual. Like Big Foot or the Yeti, this has previously only been rumored to exist and never seen in the wild. The Battle Manual will contain ALL of the designer notes, extended examples of play, a brief description of all the units in all three games, and other things.

Stretch Goal #2 is a Screaming Eagles Patch in addition to the battle manual.

Stretch Goal #3 is a Ghost Panzer Patch in addition to the battle manual and the Screaming Eagles patch.

Complete the collection with Stretch Goal #4; a Texas Arrows Patch in addition to the battle manual, Screaming Eagles patch and Ghost Panzer Patch.

Stretch Goal #5 - ONE Extra Cross Over Scenario. This scenario, Shooting Arrows at Ghosts, pits the US 36th Infantry Division of Texas Arrows against the 11th Panzer Division of Ghost Panzer.

Stretch Goal #6- THREE Extra Screaming Eagles Scenarios. These scenarios focus on the 101st Airborne (Screaming Eagles). They are Holy Ground, Cole's Medal of Honor, and The Next Day.

Stretch Goal #7 - THREE Extra Ghost Panzer Scenarios and 16 Extra Counters. These scenarios focus on Eastern Front Battles (Ghost Panzer), although not necessarily those of the 11th Panzer. They are Here They Come, Tiger Paw, and Hitler Meets Churchill. The extra counters are: 2 PzIIIN, 2 T34M43, 2 JU87G Tank Killers, 2 Marder IIIH, 2 SU76M, 2 SU122, 4 Russian Churchill Tanks.

Stretch Goal #8 - THREE Extra Texas Arrows Scenarios. These scenarios focus on the US 36th Infantry Division (Texas Arrows). They are Hi-Wire Jinx, Blue Beach, and Oklahoma Wildcat.

Stretch Goal #9 - You asked for it and we are designing it.  A custom Plastic tray for each game will be included when this goal is reached.
Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

acctingman

Ed

Which board games do you like (WW2 squad level)? I always like hearing other more experienced players views.

Thanks

Richie61

Quote from: acctingman on September 24, 2017, 01:07:46 PM
Ed

Which board games do you like (WW2 squad level)? I always like hearing other more experienced players views.

Thanks

I like Old School Tactical and Conflicts of Heroes. I am a big Panzer GMT gamer too. Panzer has all the bells & whistles, like armor, infantry, artillery, air planes etc and solo rules are coming inthe soon to be released France 1940 module.  I loved Squad Leader as a kid, but never got into ASL. ASL is too complex for my liking. I had the LnL Band of Heroes games, but the series wasn't to my liking - so I sold them all off.

I bought BoB based on reviews and watching videos. I messed with the Vassal version and liked it. But after beating cancer, I have been looking to thin out my games. Looking to buy the CoH solo package and Poland & Pacific, but I am out of a job right now. Long story, but the place I worked for 23 years will only take me back if I except a 25% pay cut. So I am job less and broke - LOL!

So it's Old School and Panzer mostly right now.
Ed
aka Richie61

acctingman

Quote from: Richie61 on September 24, 2017, 05:59:22 PM
Quote from: acctingman on September 24, 2017, 01:07:46 PM
Ed

Thanks

I like Old School Tactical and Conflicts of Heroes. I am a big Panzer GMT gamer too. Panzer has all the bells & whistles, like armor, infantry, artillery, air planes etc and solo rules are coming inthe soon to be released France 1940 module.  I loved Squad Leader as a kid, but never got into ASL. ASL is too complex for my liking. I had the LnL Band of Heroes games, but the series wasn't to my liking - so I sold them all off.

I bought BoB based on reviews and watching videos. I messed with the Vassal version and liked it. But after beating cancer, I have been looking to thin out my games. Looking to buy the CoH solo package and Poland & Pacific, but I am out of a job right now. Long story, but the place I worked for 23 years will only take me back if I except a 25% pay cut. So I am job less and broke - LOL!

So it's Old School and Panzer mostly right now.

I've read the knock on Panzer is the infantry rules are lacking. Do you find this to be the case? I do like the look of their armor rules/stats  :smitten:

Richie61

Infantry or as Panzer calls them "Leg units" is very basic compared to say OST, CoH or BoB. The infantry combat is just a die roll with a bunch of modifiers, clean and simple. You have full & 1/2 squads like SL/ ASL. You start as a full squad and damage drops you to a 1/2. 1/2 squad is destroyed ( or technically out of combat action) with another damage hit. DRM's are based on their state and terrain. The main difference is that Old School Tactical, Conflict of Heroes and ASL focus on the infantry whereas Panzer's focus are the tanks. However the infantry rules in Panzer are not "throw away" rules. In any scenario where infantry are involved, they are usually key to winning the game. When in built-up terrain such as towns, they are hard to root out unless you have infantry of your own or commit significant resources and time in suppressing them with fire from your armor. They will suffer step reduction and suppression results but not to the detail of breaking, routing, and battle hardening that you'll find in ASL.

Basically Panzer is based on miniature rules. Jim Day based the board game off his miniature rules, so you could use the board game rules with miniatures. 

As for rules. You start with the basic rules and can add any advanced rule to your game as you go. That is the beauty of this system. You want infantry, then use that advanced rule section. It can be as detailed as you want. 
Ed
aka Richie61

Richie61

Good review of Panzer here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/854853/initial-impressions-gmts-rendition-jim-days-panzer

Not my words  ;)

QuoteI'd think, however, that GMT's Panzer (second edition) might appeal to the Conflict of Heroes and Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles player who wants to "level up" into something more hardcore, or the Combat Commander Series series guy who longs for tanks in his tactical recreations.

Ed
aka Richie61

acctingman

Has anyone played Panzer solo? What about OST solo?

The only game that is mentioned in this post that has solo rules is LnL. Just wondering how the other rules play solo (since that's my only way of gaming)

Barthheart

I Have OST and it plays well solo. No solo rules, just play both sides.
It's impulse driven, ie you move one stack then I move one stack, so it's easy to  just play the best you can for both sides, especially if one side is defending.

Haven't played the new Panzer at all.

bob48

You can obtain solo rules for the CoH games, I think.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

acctingman

Quote from: bob48 on September 26, 2017, 09:25:00 AM

I've only played 1 game with the solo xpac for CoH. They seem to be pretty slick, but I need to play this game before I move onto something else.

Still like the looks of Panzer, OST, BoB and LnL

My book shelf is going to get full isn't it?  :crazy2:

chemkid

Quote from: acctingman on September 26, 2017, 10:12:41 AM
[...]
I've only played 1 game with the solo xpac for CoH
[...]

ok, you're smokin' crack, mate! freebaser dlx - boyeeee! before jumping ship - please play some more of THAT CoH dope, ok?!

...forget the 'looks' of non-academy-games-games!!

cheers!

Barthheart

Quote from: acctingman on September 26, 2017, 10:12:41 AM
Quote from: bob48 on September 26, 2017, 09:25:00 AM

I've only played 1 game with the solo xpac for CoH. They seem to be pretty slick, but I need to play this game before I move onto something else.

Still like the looks of Panzer, OST, BoB and LnL

My book shelf is going to get full isn't it?  :crazy2:

Truly it is the only way to find what you like. I've played Squad Leader, ASL, CoH, Combat Commander, Valor & Victory, LnLT and Advanced Platoon commander.

I've settled on LnLT as my go to squad level game because it gives me what I'm looking for at that scale - lots of action, a good story and reasonably believable combat results.

Will I stop looking at others as they come along? Nope I'll keep buying in just to see what's up and what's new. Another enjoyment aspect of the hobby.

bob48

Well, you have 'The Last 100 yards' from GMT and 'Engage & Destroy' for Compass to look out for :-)
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Barthheart

The Last Hundred Yards....

:o Ugh those counters! The maps are nice though.

Engage and Destroy sounds very armour centric like Panzer and legs are an after thought.

I can afford to be picky at this point.
8)

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Barthheart on September 26, 2017, 11:15:45 AM
:o Ugh those counters! The maps are nice though.

Maybe if you round the corners, they'll look better?  O:-)