Most controversial video games?

Started by bayonetbrant, July 26, 2017, 06:07:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

In all honesty, I never understood how people can get their panties in a wad over a game. It's fiction; it's not real, for chrissakes. It's all pixels and algorithms. Most of these idiots are just looking for something to be offended by so they can feel better about themselves when they scream on Twitter or other social media. Same with news agencies blaming video games for violence in the world.  Ugh.  ::)

There's only one or two that I actually can understand the hate on - ironically enough, Hatred is one of them. That game, sort of like Postal, has zero filters about what it is and portrays. I bought the game myself on sale some time ago, but it's pretty meh gameplay wise, so I didn't spend much time with it. (And I remember people getting all offended over Postal back in the day, too.)

I remember Kingpin: Life of Crime. I played that one all the way through. It was probably the first hyper-violent game I ever played and the story was engaging, sort of the way that Goodfellas was engaging.

Anyway, my bottom line with this kind of thing is that they're games, they're fictional, they're not real. There's PLENTY of real death and violence in the world to get pissy about, and using up your energy to take it out on a bunch of 0010101010101s is the epitome of stupid.

jamus34

Yeah I'm mostly in the same boat as BC. Besides a couple of games who were created to solely be offensive (Custer, Hatred, Nighttrap and surprisingly not on the list Rapelay, at least I think that was the name) I do not think having questionable content would consider it controversial. Especially if it is marked with an age appropriate rating.

The original wasteland had a three legged hooker and final fantasy 6 (3 in the US) dealt with genocide, genetic manipulation, teen pregnancy among other topics and not too much outcry.
Insert witty comment here.

Tuna

I remember the Call of Duty 2 airport mission didn't sit well with me. I didn't shoot any of the civilians, it still let you through the mission.

jamus34

Quote from: Tuna on July 26, 2017, 07:59:27 AM
I remember the Call of Duty 2 airport mission didn't sit well with me. I didn't shoot any of the civilians, it still let you through the mission.

That is one I agree with that it wasn't necessary. You could have a had it as a slide show abstraction and had the message conveyed just as well.
Insert witty comment here.

Michael Dorosh

Is JFK Reloaded on the list? Was mildly entertaining but it isn't difficult to see why it would be regarded as tasteless and offensive.

BanzaiCat

^ Yep, JFK Reloaded is on the list. I'd not heard of it before this list.

As for that mission in CoD 2, I get the negativity, but again, I stick to my argument that it's just a game. I think at first I thought "holy hell that's messed up," but then I actually played through it. Once you start engaging the cops it becomes a bit more of a challenge rather than just mowing down e-civilians. And since my sense of humor is warped I thought it was funny when someone posted a video of that scene with "Don't Stop Me Now" by Queen playing through it.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

I really wish someone would grow some balls and release 6 Days in Fallujah. Why the hell is that so damned controversial anyway? Just because it was developed at a time when the war was still actively being fought? The article claims many veterans objected to its release. I call total bull$hit on that. Anyway, my understanding is the game is complete. It just needs a publisher.

I'd add Syrian Warfare to the list. Its a surprisingly good game, but it is shamelessly biased in a political way and is a great example of recreational gaming software as propaganda.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Oche

Brought you by SJW pansification :clap:   

Tuna

Quote from: BanzaiCat on July 26, 2017, 08:40:06 AM

As for that mission in CoD 2, I get the negativity, but again, I stick to my argument that it's just a game. I think at first I thought "holy hell that's messed up," but then I actually played through it. Once you start engaging the cops it becomes a bit more of a challenge rather than just mowing down e-civilians. And since my sense of humor is warped I thought it was funny when someone posted a video of that scene with "Don't Stop Me Now" by Queen playing through it.

Yes but kids play this crap to and then become desensitized. I remember being shocked in the 80s when my nephew thought it was cool when the space shuttle blew up, because there was a teacher on board. As kids in the 60s we had respect for tragic incidents.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Tuna on July 26, 2017, 09:47:27 AM
Quote from: BanzaiCat on July 26, 2017, 08:40:06 AM

Yes but kids play this crap to and then become desensitized. I remember being shocked in the 80s when my nephew thought it was cool when the space shuttle blew up, because there was a teacher on board. As kids in the 60s we had respect for tragic incidents.

No offense,  but your nephew just sounds like a dickhead. I was a kid when the challenger blew up and we definitely didn't think it was "cool".
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Tuna on July 26, 2017, 09:47:27 AM
Yes but kids play this crap to and then become desensitized. I remember being shocked in the 80s when my nephew thought it was cool when the space shuttle blew up, because there was a teacher on board.

I don't ever remember anyone being anything less than reverential and respectful toward the Challenger explosion, and I still talk about it 3-4x/year (minimum) because we use the Reagan address to the nation after the explosion in the Public Speaking classes I teach.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

I still can't help but feel awful anytime I see footage from the Challenger disaster. I didn't watch the launch but we heard about it while I was in class (World History, I remember it well).

I do remember the tasteless jokes that followed, too. Humor is something of a coping mechanism, so I laughed like everyone else.

I'm not convinced that pixelated slaughter causes desensitization; I really think anyone that has a gun put in their hand and told to go mow down a bunch of people at the airport should have the basic humanity to get sick to their stomach at the thought. There's been more than a few exceptions to this (Klebold and Harris, and so on), but these people were already fucked in the head. Games don't cause people to become psychopaths; they were already that way to begin with.

mirth

I was in high school when the Challenger was lost. None of us thought it was 'cool'. There was announcement on the PA and the teacher turned on the TV in study hall. There was lots of stunned silence and "Oh My God".
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus