Main Menu

Wars of Succession

Started by Hofstadter, July 07, 2016, 05:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ubercat

I don't trust Wargamer reviews of Matrix games since they have the same owner. Nevertheless the game is probably great and I've already bought it.

I printed the manual and read most of it. It will definitely have to be updated at some point. There are references to Roman legions, trains, and at one point it refers to itself as the manual for Wars of Napoleon! It also appears to describe the supply system as the same as that for ACW2. I doubt that's the case in the game as other 18th century titles don't use that (more advanced) system of depot supply forwarding. The book also implies that this game uses the same army/corps structure as ACW2. Again, not likely. I'll find out soon enough.

I just realized that the manual for AJE has never been updated past 1.0. Maybe it didn't start with so many errors and so never needed fixing.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

IronX

One thing I can't find in the manual is a breakdown of what the information on the unit card pertains to, particularly the three bars. I'm assuming the last one is supply of some sort. Any idea on what they mean?

WallysWorld

Quote from: IronX on February 07, 2018, 02:58:49 PM
One thing I can't find in the manual is a breakdown of what the information on the unit card pertains to, particularly the three bars. I'm assuming the last one is supply of some sort. Any idea on what they mean?
I had to search for that too and now have a document with the answer ready for any Ageod games. Retrieved from different posts on the Ageod forum.

Bars on the force counter:

Red = Strength
Blue = Cohesion
Green= Supply

The three bars on stacks are, from left to right:

-- hit-points of present/hit-points possible

-- average current cohesion/full cohesion

-- average current supply/full supply
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

IronX

Thanks. I've not played an AGEOD game in a long time and forgot. It really should be one of the first things in a manual.

panzerde

Quote from: IronX on February 07, 2018, 04:04:52 PM
Thanks. I've not played an AGEOD game in a long time and forgot. It really should be one of the first things in a manual.

It's ridiculously hard to find that information. It should be right in the section describing the UI and what's on the counters. Unfortunately as noted above, AGEOD doesn't seem to be keeping their manuals current. During playtesting I assumed that the obviously incomplete manual was just a placeholder. Looks like it shipped with that one.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

mikeck

Your best bet is to go to Steam and download the manual for "thirty years war".
Frankly, that's the most similar
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

IronX

mikeck

Review. He says the same I did....that as an avid fanboy, this is one of the best AGEOD offerings

http://www.awargamersneedfulthings.co.uk/2018/02/wars-of-succession-by-ageod.html?spref=fb&m=1
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

MengJiao

Quote from: mikeck on February 12, 2018, 10:02:34 AM
Review. He says the same I did....that as an avid fanboy, this is one of the best AGEOD offerings

http://www.awargamersneedfulthings.co.uk/2018/02/wars-of-succession-by-ageod.html?spref=fb&m=1

I just got it on sale on Steam (25% off or something).  It is HUGE!  And looks FANTASTIC!  And that's ALL I KNOW.

mikeck

They did a great job with it. I was happy to see with The 30 years war, English civil war and Wars of Succession that AGEOD moves away from the overly complex versions and went back to its roots.
Let's face it, they game in areas that not a lot of other games cover so it's a good engine to be famiar with

MengJiao

Quote from: mikeck on July 08, 2016, 06:14:17 PM
The engine is fine for some games doesn't do well for the ones more epic in scale unfortunately.  I still love RoP, ACW2 and AJE especially.  The engine is just fine when they keep the proper scale. The smaller wars of the Romans is a great example versus the epic scale of World War I which was horrible

I'm usually repeating myself about AGEOD, but here goes:  RoP is a great game.  The Roman stuff is good.  RUS was okay.  The Napoleonic things seem okay (not sure since I've very tired of 1805 and 1809).  Everything else (except probably Wars of Succession) has pretty serious problems of one kind or another (not necessarily the engine's problems)

mikeck

I think I'm games like Wars of Napoleon and End all Wars, they are pushing the engine too hard. The AI simply cannot properly use diplomacy or grand strategy. Limit it to recruiting, building armies and moving them operationally and it's great. But I think most realize that.

I would just say that if you have any interest in operational 18th century warfare and don't dislike the AGEOD system, you should check this one out

MengJiao

Quote from: mikeck on June 15, 2018, 02:52:44 PM
I think I'm games like Wars of Napoleon and End all Wars, they are pushing the engine too hard. The AI simply cannot properly use diplomacy or grand strategy. Limit it to recruiting, building armies and moving them operationally and it's great. But I think most realize that.

I would just say that if you have any interest in operational 18th century warfare and don't dislike the AGEOD system, you should check this one out

And, meanwhile, ships go sailing under an early-18th-century Sun:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on June 15, 2018, 06:33:15 PM

And, meanwhile, ships go sailing under an early-18th-century Sun:

And the war has been on for 9 months.  It is now early 1702 and all that has happened is that Prince Eugene scared the Bourbons in Italy and vanished and I (as a cunning Bourboneer) launched a winter raid with the Archbishop of Cologne's army under Westerloo -- who can command French people and Germans! --  Westerloo's little army reached Koblentz and was about to perish of bad food, glanders and the icy cold of the Lower Rhine -- I belatedly assembled some rescue forces -- but all might have been lost except that the garrison of Koblentz accepted the Honors of War and Westerloo and company were able to get out of the cold and recover:

dinsdale

I think I’m games like Wars of Napoleon and End all Wars, they are pushing the engine too hard. The AI simply cannot properly use diplomacy or grand strategy. Limit it to recruiting, building armies and moving them operationally and it’s great. But I think most realize that.

I think Napoleonic games have additional problems. For the early campaigns its like designing a 1940 France game: Napoleon is expected to win easily or the game is 'broken.' So 1806, 1806 and 1807 games all end up on rails where hapless Prussians, Austrians and Russians are hamstrung by some mechanic so that France can win the decisive battle. Its just tedious, and no one in board or PC games has come up with a design which really models what happened.

Spain is the same but you have to make Wellington to be invincible, Russia is too big, so that really only leaves 1813 as a competitive campaign.

I thought Wars of Napoleon was less good than Mark Zucker's board game representation of the yearly campaigns, but not because of the engine, just because napoleonic campaigns are boring.

To end all wars, like any grand ww1 game, had to simulate 3-4 different types of warfare, but didn't really get any of them right. Wars of Succession and Brit Civil War are great, they hit the engines sweet spot, and somehow the US Civil War game is superb despite it not really being a suitable war. Whatever they did to the combat engine just seems to make it feel right.