Star Trek series coming in 2017

Started by steve58, November 02, 2015, 11:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

I lasted about 20 minutes before turning it off.  I found myself disliking the character right from the start as soon as she started off with the whole sassy chick cliche.  Then when I found out that she was supposedly raised and educated by Vulcans, her personality made less sense and was even more grating.  The Uruk-Ha....I mean Klingons made no sense.  Why not just come up with a new race if you're going to alter things that radically?  Did anyone else think their armour looked like Dracula's from the Gary Oldman movie but with more spikey bits?  And their ship looked like something the Orks would cobble together in 40K.

SirAndrewD

Watched it all.   Both episodes.  Actually had a trial for CBS All Access, but managed to watch it by "other means" before All Access could stream. 

My reactions.  As a guy who came to Star Trek watching TOS on UHF on his little semi-portable TV under his blankets at midnight in the early 80's.

Well...ok....um.....

Nah, not Star Trek, not canon, not even trying.  Not visually, not thematically. 

Not going to give up.  I also remember tuning into The Next Generation in 1989 and thinking the same thing.  So I'm going to hold on.  But yeah, not a positive first impression. 

Especially with the Klingons.  I mean, THOSE KLINGONS!  Absolutel warm crap.  I would be ok with the different houses looking different and having some different goals, but they set that concept up and then shot it right the hell down by showing they all look and act sort of the same. 

Federation Holo-tech.  Well, ok, fine, you want to look slick.  But I watched me some DS9 and they couldnt' even get that tech to work right then.  Great job. 

Klingons with cloaks...before the Romulans..before Balance of Terror. 

YEEAH!  Sorry.  I'm too much of an old school Star Trek nerd.  This probably isn't for me.  This is why I wanted to piss on my TV once when Enterprise aired.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

GDS_Starfury

the man dropped the Balance of Terror cloak mic.......
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

as far as the first episode......

no teeth, deep throat, minimal lens flair and just enough ball tickling.   3.5 stars on yelp but why do my Klingon waiters look different again?
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 21, 2017, 04:36:35 PM
Trek showrunner essentially confirms that the new Klingons are meant to reflect Trump supporters, and that their cultural split represents the electoral divide of the US 2016 election.
People read way too much into things.

I'll be watching it without listening to BS from people who have nothing better to do than spoil something by sticking their agenda sticker on it to inform people about what they think it's about. Shit - even if it was about that, why would you watch it with a "real current life" view in your head anyway - it's sci-fi.

Some people just go out their way to spoil things - for themselves and others

I'm going to watch it with fresh eyes personally  :nerd:
Alba gu' brath

bbmike

Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 24, 2017, 10:52:03 PM
Watched it all.   Both episodes.  Actually had a trial for CBS All Access, but managed to watch it by "other means" before All Access could stream. 

My reactions.  As a guy who came to Star Trek watching TOS on UHF on his little semi-portable TV under his blankets at midnight in the early 80's.

Well...ok....um.....

Nah, not Star Trek, not canon, not even trying.  Not visually, not thematically. 

Not going to give up.  I also remember tuning into The Next Generation in 1989 and thinking the same thing.  So I'm going to hold on.  But yeah, not a positive first impression. 

Especially with the Klingons.  I mean, THOSE KLINGONS!  Absolutel warm crap.  I would be ok with the different houses looking different and having some different goals, but they set that concept up and then shot it right the hell down by showing they all look and act sort of the same. 

Federation Holo-tech.  Well, ok, fine, you want to look slick.  But I watched me some DS9 and they couldnt' even get that tech to work right then.  Great job. 

Klingons with cloaks...before the Romulans..before Balance of Terror. 

YEEAH!  Sorry.  I'm too much of an old school Star Trek nerd.  This probably isn't for me.  This is why I wanted to piss on my TV once when Enterprise aired.

Good summary. I'll add a few:

"We haven't encountered Klingons in over 100 years" followed by "Klingons killed your parents"

I keep hearing how the explanation for everything looking more tech advanced than TOS is "Oh, this is a modern interpretation of it". They why the TOS hand phaser? Even Pike didn't use the TOS hand phaser.

Sybok was a dumb idea. This character's background story is even worse.

Critical moment on the bridge: Let's go meet in the briefing room! -and- I'm gonna run make a phone call. Okay!  ???

Starships do not enter atmospheres unless crashing. Period.

The delta shield was specific to the TOS USS Enterprise. Each starship had a different insignia. Now it's everywhere, even in the past.

Not only are those not Klingons, those are not Klingon ships! Not even close! Those are Lyran ships at best! (look it up).

What was with all of the "60s Batman TV show angled villain shots" and lens flares?

Hey, there's a strange reading in the debris field. Should we launch a shuttle? Nah. A nice probe then? Nope. Suit up and fly out 'cause it worked so well for an hour in Star Trek The Motion Picture? That's the one!

Phase cannons? 100 years later and they are still using Phase cannons?

That's good for now. I'm sure there's more but I need to go see if vomit guy's okay. He was up all night last night.  ::)

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

bbmike: you're coming across unclear. Please elaborate on your disgust. ;D

mirth

Don't mince words. Tell us what you really think.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

The site-that-shall-not-be-named has both episodes on it, so I've got it ready to go later when I have more time. I'll reserve my judgement until I've seen it, but I know how dangerous it is for anyone to F with Star Trek and canon, especially among the more rabid fan base out there. Sounds like they took a lot of liberties with it.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

BanzaiCat

mirth

Quote from: BanzaiCat on September 25, 2017, 05:45:52 AM
The site-that-shall-not-be-named has both episodes on it

Wargamer has both epiosdes?!

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on September 25, 2017, 05:52:22 AM
Wargamer has both epiosdes?!

...suuuuuure. Both episodes of regret and shame.

bbmike

Oh, and another thing. This is 10 years before TOS and I'm supposed to believe the Klingon war started 10 years before TOS? From Whom Gods Destroy:

KIRK (to Garth): I agree there was a time when war was necessary, and you were our greatest warrior. I studied your victory at Axanar when I was a cadet. In fact it's still required reading at the Academy.

Now, it was never said that Axanar was part of the Klingon war in TOS. I think FASA said it later in their RPG books. But let's say it was. "There was a time when war was necessary". You know, way, way, way back in the long ago of ten years. "...it's still required reading at the Academy". I know, I graduated from there just last year.  ::)

I need some more coffee.....
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Barthheart

Still not quite sure how you feel about the show there bbmike.....