Railway Empires Sale

Started by solops, July 06, 2019, 05:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

Railway Empires is on sale. What is the consensus on this game?  Any good? I still like RR Tycoon 2. My favorite part is building railways, developing industries and watching the trains run and make money -double-tracking, monitoring loads, etc. I am not so enamored of the stock fights and financial wars/takeovers.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

DennisS

Quote from: solops on July 06, 2019, 05:57:18 PM
Railway Empires is on sale. What is the consensus on this game?  Any good? I still like RR Tycoon 2. My favorite part is building railways, developing industries and watching the trains run and make money -double-tracking, monitoring loads, etc. I am not so enamored of the stock fights and financial wars/takeovers.

I have played RR Tycoon 2 more than any other game not named World of Warcraft.

I am not a fan of Railway Empires, for one, MAJOR reason. The missions are on timers. Yep. TIMERS. That is an absolute non-starter for me, and I refunded immediately. You can't turn the timers off.

solops

Thanks. That kills it for me, too.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

JasonPratt

Hm, I hadn't noticed that on the LPs I casually glanced at, but then again "casually glanced at". Sort of surprised those haven't been modded out, tho...  ???
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Pete Dero

Quote from: DennisS on July 06, 2019, 09:31:34 PM
The missions are on timers. Yep. TIMERS. That is an absolute non-starter for me, and I refunded immediately. You can't turn the timers off.

Timers are active in campaign & scenario.

4 different game modes
-> Campaign: Five chapters (including tutorial), each offering 10 challenges per chapter.
-> 11 scenarios with around 10 challenges per scenario.
-> Free Mode with three customizable starting conditions (era, region, number of opponents, starting budget, etc) and 10 challenges.
-> Sandbox mode for fun games without the challenge of finances, time constraints or pressure from opponents.

airboy

I still have my boxed copy of RR Tycoon 2 which I doubt will play on my current machine. 

But I can buy it before the Steam Sale expires in 48 hours for the obscene price of $1.24 - greedy bastards.

I'll probably buy it, at that price it is less than a bag of potato chips at a gas station on a road trip.

Or I might pay the extra $5 and get it from www.gog.com without DRM, playable without Internet connection so it would not vanish if Steam ever dies.

airboy

Quote from: solops on July 06, 2019, 05:57:18 PM

Thanks for bringing this up.  I had a lot of fun with this game back in the day.  And then it would no longer run on my machine.  You can get RR Tycoon 2 Platinum right now on the Steam sale for $1.24 or for $6 on GOG without DRM and you can play it forever even if GOG goes under.  I'm tossing the old box to free up shelf space.  I've got it wishlisted for the next GOG sale since I have a ton of unplayed games already - why not pick it up on sale?

JasonPratt

Quote from: Pete Dero on July 07, 2019, 04:26:09 AM
The missions are on timers. Yep. TIMERS. That is an absolute non-starter for me, and I refunded immediately. You can't turn the timers off.

4 different game modes
-> Campaign: Five chapters (including tutorial), each offering 10 challenges per chapter.
-> Free Mode with three customizable starting conditions (era, region, number of opponents, starting budget, etc) and 10 challenges.
-> Sandbox mode for fun games without the challenge of finances, time constraints or pressure from opponents.

Sandbox mode also takes out the challenge of finances and pressure from opponents, so the lack of time constraints goobles all challenges away completely.

If Free Mode made timers optional as one of the customizable starting conditions, that would be better.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

DennisS

Quote from: airboy on July 07, 2019, 07:57:45 AM
I still have my boxed copy of RR Tycoon 2 which I doubt will play on my current machine. 

But I can buy it before the Steam Sale expires in 48 hours for the obscene price of $1.24 - greedy bastards.

I'll probably buy it, at that price it is less than a bag of potato chips at a gas station on a road trip.

Or I might pay the extra $5 and get it from www.gog.com without DRM, playable without Internet connection so it would not vanish if Steam ever dies.

I love RR Tycoon 2, more than any other RR game. Have you looked at Open Transport Tycoon? That's a pretty good game as well.

One more...Voxel Tycoon is an upcoming game on Steam. It looks to be a successor to Locomotion..which was a brilliant game. Check out Raptor's YouTube videos. It looks VERY good.

airboy

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 07, 2019, 09:42:30 AM
Quote from: Pete Dero on July 07, 2019, 04:26:09 AM

4 different game modes

Sandbox mode also takes out the challenge of finances and pressure from opponents, so the lack of time constraints goobles all challenges away completely.

If Free Mode made timers optional as one of the customizable starting conditions, that would be better.

The whole point of sandbox is watching the pretty choo-choo's zoom around on the rails doing stuff.

JasonPratt

Of course! -- but the original complaint was (paraphrased) "TIMERS! ARGH! NO SALE!" with the context being that other games of this sort don't use timers in their actual competitive missions, so why the hell must they be mandatory for RREmp?

A reply that timers don't exist in the mere sandbox mode is factually true, but doesn't effectively address the original complaint: the sandbox mode is a very different kind of game (more like a nice designer train set.)

I'll add here that timers don't mean anything to me one way or another. In fact I figured all these games have timers in effect, due to the calendar continuing to chug along.