Discuss GrogCast Episode 10!

Started by bayonetbrant, May 12, 2015, 08:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: mirth on May 13, 2015, 10:49:13 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 13, 2015, 10:43:50 AM
the podcast was already long enough

you do tend to ramble on :P

Ramble, ha. Everyone is paying close attention. The gulf between gaming and real world is fascinating.

Good job Cyrano, the history is very interesting. Glad you were back MD and BB.

Cat, you the man for keeping these going. These are great. In fact im going to listen to that one again.  O0
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

MetalDog

Thanks, Biggs!  You are entirely too good for the ego :)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Mr. Bigglesworth

You have to encourage good things. This is good work by good people.

Back when I used to do planning for corporations, I did a lot of research on the most advanced scheduling algorithms. One of the best I found was a description of the system used on the Hubble telescope. The problem they had was various teams would always be vieing for telescope time. Things would get booked far in advance. Needs would change and people would relinquish their time for more important work, knowing the favor would be returned in the future. The point is that the very valuable schedule would get constatly broken with holes, overlaps, all kinds of errors. They adopted a technique called simulated annealing to repair the sequence.

When I look at military plans encoutering the enemy, the same kind of repair is required. You reorganize time and vectors to reoptimize based on the current real world situation. There is a smorgasbord of techniques to use, none of which I see in consumer games.

MetalDog

I would think there is only so much you can do with an AI.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Especially when all processor cycles are prioritized to eye candy.

Cyrano

First, many thanks for your kind words, they're appreciated.

Second, I love this discussion.  One of the things Doc Sterrett and Brant have impressed on me is that few (if any?) wargames commercially available build in the planning that's so much a part of what the real military does.  Some -- notably those used in the War College at Origins -- make it easier than others because of the tools available, &c., but few seem to require it.  The reasons probably run to the marketability of such a sim to a broad audience, but it places the sort of things you describe at an even further remove from what the game can do.

I prepare and keep the calendar for the council I serve and, just this week, I was commenting on how changing circumstances -- we've an election next year -- are punching holes in my precious document.  I think we'll need some real annealing...the simulated stuff may be insufficient.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Barthheart

Best one they Guys.  O0

MD we have to meet up and go for beers some day.  :D You too Banzai. I've met the other two and will prolly be drinking with them in a couple of weeks... oops sorry BB.  :coolsmiley:

MetalDog

It is my goal, come Hell or high water, to be at Origins next year.  We'll have some fun :)

Martok

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 14, 2015, 02:43:05 PM
Damned kids!
Well I was twenty years ago.  :P 

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on May 17, 2015, 12:54:18 AM
Good job Cyrano, the history is very interesting. Glad you were back MD and BB.
Seconded.  I generally have the attention span of a gnat, so the fact that I was able to sit down and actually listen to pretty much the whole thing (I admittedly skipped ahead in a couple spots -- mostly when discussion turned to professional military wargaming -- but that was it) is quite the testament to you guys.  Seriously, well done! 

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on May 17, 2015, 12:54:18 AM
Cat, you the man for keeping these going. These are great. In fact im going to listen to that one again.  O0
Again, seconded.  I know that has to require a fair amount of work & effort -- more so than I can probably guess -- but it's definitely appreciated.  :) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

BanzaiCat

Thanks, guys. It's good to know you're enjoying these.

stalintom

SPAM!