What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

Very early Cold War Espionage.
If you're interestted in that, this is turning into a great read.

https://kansaspress.ku.edu/978-0-7006-2192-7.html
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Gusington

Reading Day of the Barbarians by Alessandro Barbero.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Just finished, "Rebel Yell" by S.C. Gwynne, an excellent biography of Stonewall Jackson.  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 05, 2018, 03:15:40 PM
Is this where you got a lot of those regimental histories you've been reporting in the other category? Those are good reading.  O0

Actually, all of those I got as free PDF downloads from either the US Army Center for Military History, Google Books, or the Internet Archive.

I usually just do a search on the regiment. Say the "305th infantry", and then came up with all sorts of good stuff, including the regimental histories.

WWI is easier than WWII because most of the books are out of copyright.   

Here are some samples:

305th Infantry, 77th Division
https://archive.org/details/cu31924027818461

From Upton the Meuse, 307th Infantry, 77th Division
https://archive.org/details/fromuptontomeuse00rainrich/page/n7

313th Infantry, 79th Division, "Baltimore's Own"
https://archive.org/details/historyof313thus00thor/page/n5

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Toonces

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 10, 2018, 10:57:30 PM
Just finished, "Rebel Yell" by S.C. Gwynne, an excellent biography of Stonewall Jackson.  :bd:

I've got Rebel Yell here on my nightstand.  I'm not enjoying it as much as I'd hoped, though.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Sir Slash

How far along are you Toonces?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Toonces

Early.  Maybe 100 pages; I think I stopped just after he earned his first star.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

bob48

I recently read Sherman's autobiography which I thought was very interesting. Enjoyed it, it was a good read.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

Just started The Indian World of George Washington. Fascinating topic, but this is very dense, like a college text.

May skim it and then move on to Autumn of the Black Snake, about the founding of the US Army in the late 18th century, to expand US borders and fight Indian tribes.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 10, 2018, 10:57:30 PM

I really enjoyed this as well.

Toonces

I decided to jump into Rebel Yell again, but it's still not grabbing me like y'all.  I'm on page 173, so about a quarter of the way through.  I may shelve it and give it another try next summer or something.

Meantime, last weekend I decided to read Rick Atkinson's Crusade again (3rd or 4th time I think) and re-started his Guns at Last Light last of the Liberation Trilogy.

I'm about a third of the way through A Bright Shining Lie as well.  I'm sort of bouncing between these books as the mood strikes me.  I'm still looking for a "can't put it down, just one more page" book...haven't read anything like that until the last 200 pages of The Rules of the Game.

Barthheart

Just finished Clockwork Dynasty by Daniel H. Wilson. Not high art but definitely something different in S.F. Fun read.

Adam13th

I have just started reading the running man from stephen king, I am on the page 3 I really hope it will be ok

Gusington

Reading the Kindle version of Warrior Dynasty - The Rise and Fall of Sweden as a Military Power 1611-1721 by Henrik O. Lunde.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

airboy

In Plain Sight - Dan Willis

The protagonist is a rune-maker, a flexible but generally not a terribly powerful mage. He is a detective and there are multiple mysteries going on simultaneously:
a] A disease constructed through magic killed everyone at a soup kitchen
b] A man is missing and his sister hires our detective to look for him
c] A murder investigation of a guy who works for a major import/export warehouse
d] Then two more mysteries branch out from this.

This was a very tightly written book. Parts of this I could figure out, but other parts I could not until revealed by the author. The clues were mostly there but were not obviously related.

Six super powerful sorcers are in New York. They use their powers for money (one makes things which broadcasts power, another makes tiny bits of metal that operate as refigeration/cooling devices, etc.....

I finished this in a couple of days.

Seldom have I read a book with this complex of a plot so clearly laid out in so few pages.

https://www.amazon.com/Plain-Sight-Arcane-Casebook-Book-ebook/dp/B07KVP3DN2/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

a "Smuckatelli" also rated this highly on Amazon.