What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

I live in Florida. The only battlefields here are over parking places at Wal-Mart when the Snowbirds come back in the Fall.  But they are also very sobering.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Skwerl

Thomas Ligotti - The Collected Short Fiction - one creepy guy!

JasonPratt

Bro took the nieces (and wife and various relatives) to see the Shiloh battlefield last year around this time. The nieces were less impressed than everyone else. ;) The rifle demonstration got their attention tho!  :D :hide:

We weren't going during a re-enactment, however. Probably do that later. The nieces BADLY wanted to rush down a grass hill, past the cemetery, to the river's edge, but the parents didn't want to risk them falling in. (They were like 11 and 9 at the time, or 10 and 8, which to me seemed rather old to worry about that problem!)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

Just finished The Fifth Ward: First Watch by Dale Lucas and just began The Bowery Boys: Adventures in Old New York by Greg Young & Tom Meyers.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

So I just came from my village library's book sale and got:

- Instrument of War - The German Army 1914-1918 by Dennis Showalter - perfect hard copy, 1.00
- The Boer War by Thomas Pakenham - perfect paperback, 1.00
- Neptune's Inferno - The U.S. Navy at Guadalcanal by Jaames Hornfischer - perfect library hard copy, 1.00
- Vietnam War Almanac by Harry Summers Jr. - perfect library copy, 1.00

Total: 4.00

If I would have purchased all of these new at Amazon it would have cost me more than 100.00  :smitten:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

Way to go, Gus!  :bd: :bd: :bd:

Gusington

I feel I am getting old...old men swarm library sales. This was my first foray.

I dig it :)

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Nice, Gus!

I received my for-real-actual books over the past week -

- Stalingrad (Beevor)
- Barbarossa (Clark)
- A Bridge Too Far (Ryan)

It's weird to have actual books on my desk! I've missed these things.  :smitten:

Gusington

Books are my drug of choice. I have only very recently bought just a couple of Kindle titles.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

trailrunner

Quote from: Gusington on July 28, 2018, 03:12:54 PM
So I just came from my village library's book sale and got:

- Neptune's Inferno - The U.S. Navy at Guadalcanal by Jaames Hornfischer - perfect library hard copy, 1.00

I recently read this book and liked it a lot. I was at a bookstore last weekend and saw another book that he wrote on the war in the Pacific from 1943-45, so I bought it.

Good finds!

Gusington

^Do you remember the title?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

trailrunner

Quote from: Gusington on July 28, 2018, 08:45:06 PM
^Do you remember the title?

I have the book here in the living room with me:

The Fleet at Flood Tide: America at Total War in the Pacific 1944-1945

(Note that I was off by a year.)

BanzaiCat

^ I have that one too, thanks to mirth. Excellent book.