What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Staggerwing

Don't forget Roger Zelazny & Poul Anderson. 'This Immortal' (aka 'Call me Conrad') and 'Boat of a Million Years' are must-reads. I wonder if they are both in that collection, though each is a bit long for a regular size anthology.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bbmike

-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Sir Slash

Just starting, " General Lee's Immortals: The Battles and Campaigns of the Branch-Lane Brigade 1861-1865" by Michael C. Hardy. Slow start so far but lots of good maps and pics promises good things to come.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MetalDog

I, too, read The Sleepwalkers.  Awesome book.  Took an area and an era I knew little about and informed me to overflow.  Really, really good read.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

JasonPratt

Quote from: airboy on May 26, 2018, 02:02:11 PM
I have horrible impulse control on purchasing inexpensive history books.

I have horrible impulse control on purchasing EXPENSIVE history books. I don't dare look at inexpensive history books, because that would be worse. I have some hope at least of turning down a $160 monograph on Porphyry of Tyre and the Pagan-Christian debate in late antiquity. (...and then I find a used copy for $21.50.  :smitten:  :hide: Now it's currently sitting on my car seat next to a $160 monograph on freaking Bardaisan of Syria, the Persian grand vizier to the first Christian king, in Armenia, in the decades leading up to Emperor Decius.)

Quote from: airboy on May 26, 2018, 02:02:11 PMI'm slowly reading The Sleepwalkers about the origins of World War 1 and it is amazing.

Agreed. I read a Kindle version of that last year (not cheap, though, iirc). I couldn't tell you now what I recall from it, except the general theme of personal relationships between the principal leaders and how that both delayed and contributed to WW1, but I remember being impressed with it.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

IIRC The Sleepwalkers made me tear up a little bit...it does a great job of bringing out the true tragedy of 1914.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

My wife and I took a river cruise through the Balkans.  We went from Bulgaria in the East to Vienna in the West.  Throughout the Balkan countries there is amazing hostility to Muslims in general and the Turks specifically.  The number of war monuments to the various wars in the Balkans which overthrew the rule of the Ottomans is amazing.  Similar to what you see in the South for Confederate dead.

The foreign policy and desire for a "greater Serbia" and what happens when the Serbs get the upper hand in my lifetime in the 1990s and in the 1910s is remarkably similar.  Seeing the mass graves and the destruction of Sebrenicia is shocking.  The Serbs are also building a national cathedrial to their form of Catholicism which is another manafestation of the greater serbian ideology. 

The Sleepwalkers is the first book I've read on the Balkans wars of the late 1800s to the 1910s.  The methods used by the Serbs then were pretty similar to those used in the 1990s.

Gusington

^I hope to go on a similar cruise one day.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Just began Cataphracts by Erich Anderson.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth