Clad in Iron: Sakhalin 1904 Naval Wargame

Started by totemgam, October 11, 2018, 07:47:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

totemgam

Dear Sirs or Madams, it's time to open a topic on the progress of work on creating a new scenario for our "Ironclads/Clad in Iron" naval series. This time we will apply our strength to the game of the Russo-Japanese War of 1904-1905.

Considering our capabilities, we realized that we could not show the grand events of the siege of Port Arthur, the battle in the Yellow Sea and the Tsushima battle. Therefore, we chose a different theater of hostilities - the events on Sakhalin, the Kuril Islands and Kamchatka. Sakhalin Island was the main battlefield in those places, and therefore we called the new game "Clad in Iron: Sakhalin 1904".

In the 19th century, Russia and Japan began to develop wild, but rich in natural resources on the shores of the Sea of Okhotsk. By 1875, the island of Hokkaido and the Kuril Islands were under Japanese rule, and Sakhalin Island and the Kamchatka Peninsula were part of the Russian Empire.
In early 1904, Japan and Russia launched a war for domination in the Far East. The main events in this war took place in Manchuria and around the Russian naval base in China in the city of Port Arthur. But even in the Sea of Okhotsk, the opponents were ready to fight.

We have completed work on 3D models of warships for our new game Clad in Iron - Sakhalin 1904. Soon we hope to show you these models in the first screenshots and videos.

More info on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/totemgamesfcbk/

Maxim Ferapontov
On behalf of Totem Games Team

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

totemgam

It will take at least two months. I hope...

Gusington

Much sooner than I expected. Love this period of history and these ships. How will this compare to previous titles on the subject, like Distant Guns?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

totemgam

When we finish this game, we will offer a number of free Steam keys for review. I hope that in this wonderful place there are several volunteers who will express their opinion on our new project. And, of course, as always, in the future we will gradually improve this scenario.

jomni

Quote from: Gusington on October 11, 2018, 08:19:29 PM
Much sooner than I expected. Love this period of history and these ships. How will this compare to previous titles on the subject, like Distant Guns?

Play their other games to know.

RyanE

Quote from: jomni on October 12, 2018, 02:19:34 AM

How will playing previous games tell you that.  I am also curious about things like OOB and map area.  Is it rigidly focused on that one battle or is there some spill over to game out other parts of the war?  Not sure previous games will tell me anything about that.

jomni

Quote from: RyanE on October 12, 2018, 05:49:33 AM
Quote from: jomni on October 12, 2018, 02:19:34 AM

How will playing previous games tell you that.  I am also curious about things like OOB and map area.  Is it rigidly focused on that one battle or is there some spill over to game out other parts of the war?  Not sure previous games will tell me anything about that.

Ok thought you were talking about game mechanics.

Gusington

I asked about Distant Guns because I always wanted to love that game but it would never let me.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

RyanE

I loved DG.  It was the dev I hated.

edit: Out of curiosity, I went and checked and Storm Eagle website is still running.  Looks like its been on auto pilot for quite a while though.  The facebook page is a little more active, but not much.  I can't imagine they can keep that website running much longer.

em2nought

Quote from: RyanE on October 12, 2018, 08:10:19 AM

I really, really, really wanted to buy Distant Guns, BUT...

I kind of wish Totem wasn't putting so much detail into their models, and could therefore render the main battle fleets.  A product that should mainly appeal to tabletop gamers would only have to beat this level of detail to make them happy I'd think.

But then, I'd be happy with light blue felt for the ocean and seas.   ;)
Stolen elections have consequences.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Quote from: RyanE on October 12, 2018, 08:10:19 AM

edit: Out of curiosity, I went and checked and Storm Eagle website is still running.  Looks like its been on auto pilot for quite a while though.  The facebook page is a little more active, but not much.  I can't imagine they can keep that website running much longer.

I think the publisher Storm Eagle is the problem.

The actual "dev" is Norm Koger, who is one of the early, mythic wargame developers from the golden days of SSI.  He developed such greats as "Age of Rifles", "Stellar Crusade", "The Operational Art of War (TOAW)", and "Tanks".

He seems to have dropped out of game development after "Distant Guns" and "Jutland". His page says he is an independent developer, so maybe he is doing stuff outside of gaming.

Here is his web page:  http://www.normkoger.com/games.html
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

em2nought

Quote from: Gusington on October 12, 2018, 09:48:05 AM
Cool model. Yours?
No, just the first image I could find that I thought the level of detail would be good enough.

Quote from: ArizonaTank

I think the publisher Storm Eagle is the problem.

The actual "dev" is Norm Koger, who is one of the early, mythic wargame developers from the golden days of SSI.  He developed such greats as "Age of Rifles", "Stellar Crusade", "The Operational Art of War (TOAW)", and "Tanks".

He seems to have dropped out of game development after "Distant Guns" and "Jutland". His page says he is an independent developer, so maybe he is doing stuff outside of gaming.

Here is his web page:  http://www.normkoger.com/games.html

Pure conjecture:  Norm Koger probably signed a legal document from hell stealing his intellectual property, and gagging him from speaking about anything in relation to Stormpowered and JR.  :-"
Stolen elections have consequences.

RyanE

I have communicated with Norm before years ago about DG and its state.  IIRC, I just got back that he didn't deal with that part of the business.  I sent an email again this morning to see if he knows what's going on.