Middle Provincial Era GROGPUBLIC game thread

Started by JasonPratt, September 17, 2018, 05:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malize

The populists also cannot accept the recombination of these offices, something the people have expended their sons and fathers just lately to keep from one mans control.

I fear it is a bad precedent to make for our republic

Populist faction votes nay. 

JasonPratt

I.I.'s Aristocrats next!

(I'm at work where I can't double-check the vote tallies yet, although I'm pretty sure the Conservatives have got 11 votes for, and the Progressives as previously noted would have 5 votes against due to their activist knight triggering. Populists may be 5 or 6 votes, can't recall -- one of their senators is being held captive by the barbarians from the north.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

IncompetentIdiot

JasonPratt

Currently it's a pretty close vote: the Conservatives bring 11 Ora votes in favor, but the Progressives bring 3 Ora + 2 (1 knight x2 activist trigger) and the Populists bring 3 Ora +1 knight +1 Pop.

So we stand at net +1 for, with 24 potential votes pro or con remaining.

And, while I was accounting that, the Aristocrats block voted "for", adding 7 Ora + 1 knight = 8 votes!

This brings the net vote to +9 for, with 16 potential votes pro or con remaining.

It also prevents Fabius from losing 1 Influence in this vote, since not every other Faction voted against his proposal.

The Frog's Plutocrats are next. They have a total of 9 votes at stake, and will be the deciding factor if they agree 'for'. If they vote 'against', the Militarists will cast the deciding votes!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Ethel the Frog

I believe I am next, and will vote FOR.  I think that seals it. 

JasonPratt

Yep, that brings the net vote to +18, leaving over only 7 votes potentially against which wouldn't be enough to win, nor is there any benefit to the Militarists to vote now.

I resolve things out this afternoon, after work. But Fabius will gain 5 Influence, along with the responsibilities and prerogatives of being PontMax.

From this point, Fabius can appoint one senator to the priesthood per Turn.

JasonPratt

Okay, I've updated the board: Fabius has the (lifetime) office of Pontifex Maximus, and punched his influence up 5 points to 13. Conservative total Influence is now 24.

AzTank can have Fabius appoint one senator per Turn to the priesthood, pretty much at will during any Senate phase. (And take a priesthood office away, one per turn I think. Update: Erax below correctly states that a priesthood can only be re-assigned, not simply taken away.)

Now that the Mandatory business is settled, Fabius can make a Proposal about raising more Legions. The PontMax (and priesthood) voting bonus does not apply to raising (or disbanding) units, by the way -- only when units and/or senators as commanders are sent to or recalled from a War.

Erax

It says he can 'assign or reassign one per turn', so I don't think he can remove a priesthood outright, he has to move it to someone else.

JasonPratt

Ah, yep, good catch!

For those wondering, the post with the Living Rules and my Sabrerules modification flowchart attached, can be found here. Updated to October 5th. http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=22819.msg628536#msg628536

JasonPratt

A question also came up concerning whether the PontMax must appoint a priest every Turn during the Senate Phase. That was true back in version 2.16 of the Living Rules, but this requirement was eliminated by the current set.

Note that the "2.16" version of the rules applies as a number to the original Avalon Hill edition. The current Living Rules are version 1.06, and apply to the Valley Games edition which is what we're using as a base. (The prologue and epilogue Eras use 2.16 of the AH rules, but anything different has been superseded by the VG rules.)

ArizonaTank

I will elevate the Frog's Fulvius to the Priesthood

Is there anyone among the coalition who feels we need to raise legions?  Since we are not at war, I am inclined not to raise any, but certainly will listen to a counter discussion

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

Quote from: ArizonaTank on October 13, 2018, 10:58:22 AM
I will elevate the Frog's Fulvius to the Priesthood

Is there anyone among the coalition who feels we need to raise legions?  Since we are not at war, I am inclined not to raise any, but certainly will listen to a counter discussion

I'll make the adjustment this afternoon after work. (Overtime on Saturday today.)

Quote from: Erax on October 09, 2018, 06:17:41 PM
The Republic has 39 talents now, and there won't be any expenses (besides raising legions) between now and next turn's revenue phase, so I suggest we raise 3 legions; we won't go bankrupt before new income rolls in. Yes, we'll need to spend 6 talents on upkeep that we'd save if we didn't raise them now, but there are circumstances (unrest and events, if I remember right) which could make legions harder or even impossible to raise next turn, and right now we have no such restrictions.

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 09, 2018, 08:16:30 PM
The projected budget would look something like this:

Current: 39
Three Legions: -30 = 9
Upkeep next Turn: -2 per Legion x 4 Legions = 1
Regular Republic Income: +30 = 31
Allied Enthusiasm Event resolves: +25 = 56 Talents, up from 39.

Those two Allied Enthusiasm Events y'all have rolled randomly, have been absolute windfalls!

High unrest can make legions harder to raise, including manpower shortages, which can also trigger as a random event in itself.

I think this is all the discussion about raising more Legions this Turn, between the time we settled the Consul election, and the time when I remembered there's a PontMax office needing filled now.

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

Fulvius now updated with a Priest marker. Fulvius' influence +1 to 6, Plutocrat influence total now 15.

JasonPratt

Quote from: ArizonaTank on October 13, 2018, 03:32:19 PM
Then let's raise three.

Is that a proposal calling for a vote? And if so, are you ready to provide the Faction voting order?