Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on October 28, 2019, 12:43:59 PM

Inside the I-16.   The sale is here!  This thing only costs 20 bucks!  The Mosquito should work a lot better!

Flak bursts and burning trucks: the nightmare of WWII:

Destraex

I have to admit. Lookong at microsoft flight sim 2030 is making me wish for the same features in dcs
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

JudgeDredd

Jesus...DCS nearly dropped off the first page!

JH - I wanted to ask you a couple of things about DCS and VR. I'm just about ready to jump in and get it set up for VR.

• Do you have two installs - one for normal and one for VR? The reason I ask is navigating the menus or creating missions with the VR headset on is a pain. As far as I remember, when you are playing in VR, you can't "revert" to mouse and normal screen (if you can and I've remembered that wrong, cracking!)
  • Do you have a second install of DCS simply because of the changes you've made to the system setup for VR?
  • You mentioned mapping critical systems to your HOTAS - which ones do you have?
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 09, 2019, 03:16:46 AM

• Do you have two installs - one for normal and one for VR? The reason I ask is navigating the menus or creating missions with the VR headset on is a pain. As far as I remember, when you are playing in VR, you can't "revert" to mouse and normal screen (if you can and I've remembered that wrong, cracking!)

No. I only have one install. If I ever needed to log in without VR, I would just turn off VR mode. The minor inconvenience doesn't justify another 200 GB install.

• Do you have a second install of DCS simply because of the changes you've made to the system setup for VR?

No. See above.

• You mentioned mapping critical systems to your HOTAS - which ones do you have?

You have me at a disadvantage. My flight gear has been packed up for 2 months, so its been awhile since I've played, but just about everything you will need for flight is mapped to my HOTAS...gears, speed brake, communications, sensors, weapons, etc.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

Cool. Thanks. I have an idea of the common controls I'll use so I'll start there and no doubt come across another keybind I want to change.

I'm really looking forward to experiencing DCS in VR again but with my controls mapped properly
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Don't forget to map the VR zoom key. It's a critical feature for spotting targets and focusing on parts of the cockpit in VR.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 09, 2019, 06:08:40 PM
Don't forget to map the VR zoom key. It's a critical feature for spotting targets and focusing on parts of the cockpit in VR.
O0  :notworthy:
Alba gu' brath

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on October 28, 2019, 08:38:04 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on October 28, 2019, 12:43:59 PM

Inside the I-16.   The sale is here!  This thing only costs 20 bucks!  The Mosquito should work a lot better!

Flak bursts and burning trucks: the nightmare of WWII:

Harrier with extra sidewinders:

Jarhead0331

Beautiful...

Looking forward to the JF-17 Thunder on Weds.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

Jarhead I searched on youtube for JF17 vs F16 and got pages and pages of propaganda from Pakistan or India comparing the two aircraft. After the 3rd page I gave up. The comments sections of those videos were live wires as well. Insults being thrown left and right.
It will be interesting to see whether politics plays a part in how the two perform in DCS. I would have assumed the US tech would still hold it's own.

Jarhead0331

My interest lies in the glass cockpit and finally having a modern full fidelity opfor aircraft. In terms of the authenticity and capability of its individual weapons and systems, I'm skeptical. The devs will not divulge where they compiled their data, or whether they had cooperation from any official source.

Still, the previews from Redkite, Jabbers and others look intriguing. The module seems to be nearly feature complete.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Quote from: Destraex on December 02, 2019, 06:52:06 PM
Jarhead I searched on youtube for JF17 vs F16 and got pages and pages of propaganda from Pakistan or India comparing the two aircraft. After the 3rd page I gave up. The comments sections of those videos were live wires as well. Insults being thrown left and right.
It will be interesting to see whether politics plays a part in how the two perform in DCS. I would have assumed the US tech would still hold it's own.

From a first glance on its published specifications it would indicate that the F-16 is the faster of the two, with higher thrust to weight ratio and a higher G-limit. Still, history has shown that aircrew training has often been a deciding factor in the effectiveness of military asset deployment and utilization.
Discussion purely about published aircraft capabilities is pretty pointless in my opinion, especially in an internet environment.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Grim Reapers did a recent video doing a side by side comparison of the published capabilities of the JF-17 and F-16. Those of you who are interested in this data should check it out. Should be easy to find, but I'll post the link when I get to a PC.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

Thanks. Will do.

EDIT:

Jarhead0331

It's out...look forward to trying this out tonight. Also picked up an HP Reverb on sale over the Holiday to replace my Oculus Rift-S for VR simming...big leap in resolution and clarity.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog