The 2014 Running Football Thread (College & Pro)

Started by bayonetbrant, February 07, 2014, 10:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

I strong Notre Dame is better, but I digress....

MetalDog

Oh my goodness!  A Golden Domer!!  I always thought I liked you, Bison...now I'm not so sure.  Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Alabama win their last National Championship over the Fighting Mant'i Teo's?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Bison

Quote from: MetalDog on January 06, 2015, 10:25:38 PM
Oh my goodness!  A Golden Domer!!  I always thought I liked you, Bison...now I'm not so sure.  Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Alabama win their last National Championship over the Fighting Mant'i Teo's?

I'm pretty sure he was a made up player. 

MetalDog

Bison

I do like to watch Notre Dame games but honestly I prefer to watch games from non-power conferences like the Mountain West.  And if I have to choose a game from a power conference I'll choose a Big 10 or Big 12 game first.

MetalDog

I don't even really like college football.  And most of the biases I display are learned responses from my father and grandfather. 

bayonetbrant

Quote from: OJsDad on January 06, 2015, 09:45:27 PM
Brant can probably talk to this better than I can, but if I remember correctly, it's based on you record at the end of the season.  When I lived in England back in the 80's, it was common from some teams to move up and down from one division to the other every year, because they're a top four team in the lower division, but a bottom four team in the upper division. 

Bottom 3 go down each season.
Top 2 come up, and #s 3-6 have a 2-round playoff to determine the 3d team coming up.

In the EPL, the top division is 20 teams. You play everyone home-and-home, for a total of 38 games.  The team on top on the last day wins the league; there is no "playoff" afterwards.  There are other concurrent knockout tournaments that go on over top of the league season, such as the FA cup.

The next division down in England - called "the Championship" - is 24 teams, as are League One and League Two (the two divisions below that).  Same thing w/ promotion and relegation there.  So you can earn your way up from the equivalent of single-A to the major leagues by playing well enough to win your way up.

If you want to talk more about this, let's shift over to the soccer thread, and I'll cross post this there.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

What sort of Euro nonsense is this!  I cannot even imagine trying to keep up with that system.

bayonetbrant

it actually makes a shit-ton of sense.  Everyone plays everyone else home-and-home.  The team with the best record at the end of the year wins the title.  They played everyone, everywhere, so there's no need for an end-of-season tournament.  If you suck hard enough, you get to suck in a lower league instead, and someone from the lower league gets to take their shot at the big time.

About 10 years or so ago, Kaiserslautern got promoted to the top division in Germany (1. Bundesliga) and promptly won the title in their first season up.  It'd be the equivalent of the Durham Bulls replacing the Astros, and then winning the World Series that same season.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Ironically the Durham Bulls could probably post as good of a winning percentage of the Astros.  Let's give it a go!

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on January 06, 2015, 11:04:52 PM
Ironically the Durham Bulls could probably post as good of a winning percentage of the Astros.  Let's give it a go!

You, me, and 9 guys from the pub could do better than the Astros.

Bison

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 06, 2015, 11:19:47 PM
Quote from: Bison on January 06, 2015, 11:04:52 PM

You, me, and 9 guys from the pub could do better than the Astros.

I assume we all get to be on the field at the same time as some sort of handicap rule right?

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on January 06, 2015, 11:25:17 PMI assume we all get to be on the field at the same time as some sort of handicap rule right?

Well, between you and me, we still need one more person to a full set of working knees.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: OJsDad on January 05, 2015, 10:54:40 PMThat way the Indiana's, Colorado's, Vanderbilt's, NC States, etc, get moved down

Suck it - over the past 30 years, NC State is 186-150-3 (since Dick Sheridan was hired in '86) and none of the coaches - Sheridan, O'Cain, Amato, O'Brien - had losing records.  Doeren does right now b/c last year's retooling was so painful, but they tied for biggest turnaround in a season this year (going from 3 wins to 8 ).  Hell even the year O'Brien got canned they were an 8-win bowl team.

OJsDad

Before we started talking about relegation, you had been much too quiet.  Had to do something to get your interest back in this thread :)

As for how to structure college football.  Instead of four 16 team conferences, I would go with two 13 team conferences.  Each plays every other team in their conference.  The conferences winners then play for the national championship.  The two bottom teams from each conference could then be relegated to the next division down.  Currently, only the top 25 teams are ranked, so I'm not sure that there is much reason to go beyond 26 in the top division.

The one thing I think most people will miss from the current structure is that the rivalry games will disappear.  No more OSU-Michigan or Alabama-Auburn, etc.  Unless they happen to play each other in the regular season or the championship game.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.