The 2014 Running Football Thread (College & Pro)

Started by bayonetbrant, February 07, 2014, 10:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelgrave

Quote from: Marty Ward on January 06, 2015, 10:07:10 AM
Quote from: Steelgrave on January 05, 2015, 07:56:06 PM
^+1

Can you imagine a four team NFL playoff or selecting the NFL champion by consensus vote???   :P

You mean like when they had the two winners of the two divisions play for the championship? Or when the winners of the two divisions played each other for the right to go to the Super Bowl? Sure I remember that.

Well hell, Marty....how far back do you want to go to make an argument? Leather helmet days? Back then, the NFL wasn't a big deal. I don't want to see Baseball go back to two divisions either.

Bison

No way in hell would they ever promote/demote teams.

MetalDog

That's unfortunate.  I really think it would give incentive to teams like Kansas, Vanderbilt, Washington, Wake Forest, et al, to do a better job.  If they know that Marshall or Boise State or UCONN could take their place, they might make more of them selves each season.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Bison

I get the logic of the argument, but let's not forget that really just a few years ago Alabama would have been a consideration for demotion.  :)  Then you have the historic schools like Notre Dame that were god awful for a long spell. 

OJsDad

Quote from: Marty Ward on January 06, 2015, 10:13:57 AM
Anyway you cut it, the only thing they are trying to do is have a champion crowned but so many people take it as being they are trying to determine the best team. The best team is found over the course of a season, not in a one and done format. So you can have a tourney to crown the champ or you can pick the two best teams over the course of a season to play for the crown and there is really no difference except you probably have a better chance at having a better game if you pick the two teams, not that you can't get a stinker that way either.

Marty, did you think that the so called best team that gets beat in a playoff system, may really not be the best team.  Coming into the playoffs this year, everyone assumed that Alabama was the best in the country.  Why, because they are in the SEC.  I had only seen a couple of their games and I didn't think they were more dominating than any of the other teams in the top 10.  In fact, I would have placed Oregon #1 and not of had FSU in the playoff.  Admittedly, FSU did stay with Oregon longer than I thought they would.  And it was next to impossible to keep them out being undefeated and the defending national champs. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Bison

There is no question FSU was overrated the entire season.  They honestly would have lost 2 or 3 games barring late game comebacks or questionable penalties.  However they did go undefeated and were the reigning champions, it would have been a shame to not put them into the playoffs.

OJsDad

Quote from: MetalDog on January 06, 2015, 09:16:57 PM
That's unfortunate.  I really think it would give incentive to teams like Kansas, Vanderbilt, Washington, Wake Forest, et al, to do a better job.  If they know that Marshall or Boise State or UCONN could take their place, they might make more of them selves each season.

Exactly why it should be implemented. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Steelgrave

Remember when the Patriots had a perfect season, going 20-0 after beating the Giants in the Super Bowl? Oh wait.....

That's why we play the actual games, right?  Every underdog has his day and most every year, it happens in the playoffs somewhere down the line.

I love that we have a college football playoff, finally! I'm looking forward to seeing it expanded.

Bison

Quote from: OJsDad on January 06, 2015, 09:32:22 PM

What's the cut off to be demoted?  1 bad season?  2 seasons?  Is the SEC given more chances then a BIG 12 school?  Is a school that can pack 30000 fans into a game given more leeway then a smaller school?  I don't know, but there be some serious issues.

OJsDad

Quote from: Bison on January 06, 2015, 09:38:07 PM

What's the cut off to be demoted?  1 bad season?  2 seasons?  Is the SEC given more chances then a BIG 12 school?  Is a school that can pack 30000 fans into a game given more leeway then a smaller school?  I don't know, but there be some serious issues.

Brant can probably talk to this better than I can, but if I remember correctly, it's based on you record at the end of the season.  When I lived in England back in the 80's, it was common from some teams to move up and down from one division to the other every year, because they're a top four team in the lower division, but a bottom four team in the upper division. 

MetalDog

Quote from: Bison on January 06, 2015, 09:38:07 PM

You should probably lay off the SEC.  Or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.  DEFINITELY one of them ;)

Given four 16 team conferences, I don't think it would be out of the question to demote the worst, or even the two worst, in each conference.

And just FYI, the last time 'Bama would have been within shouting distance of being demoted was 2003, when they were 4 & 9.  Can you say the same for your team?  Wait...which team is your team?  You make a lot of noise about how everyone elses team sucks, but you don't offer yours for inspection.  Is it because you are ashamed of them?  Could it be because they have lost 11 in a row to Navy?  Or maybe you pull for a powerhouse like the Vikings?

Bison

No because my school is one of the top division I hockey schools.  We played Div II for years before upgrading to being at the bottom of the FCS. 

GO FIGHTING SIOUX!

MetalDog

Being a top hockey school is like the WNBA. 

Bison

Quote from: MetalDog on January 06, 2015, 10:14:19 PM
Being a top hockey school is like the WNBA.

Pfft...your just still suffering from being sold a bill of goods on the greatness of the tide elephants.

MetalDog

Nah.  I knew the D wasn't anything special and I haven't been a fan of Blake Sims, or Lane Kiffin, all year long.  What I do know is, that as long as they play college football, the south will always have a goodly amount of talent.  And a good product lifts the profile of the sport as a whole, so, a strong SEC is good for college football.