The 2014 Running Football Thread (College & Pro)

Started by bayonetbrant, February 07, 2014, 10:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

So far I am 2 for 2 picking winners against the spread.  I've got the Colts giving 3 and 1/2 and the Lions getting 6 and 1/2.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

just a heads-up for those of you still salivating over the Odell Beckham catch...  that Calvin Johnson guy is pretty good, too :)

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

The Bengals imploded as was bound to happen since they had no receivers suited up today.  Freaking Lions let Romo look good in a comeback.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

I think the zebras had a hand in that one.  I'm not usually a fan of bashing the refs, but it seemed like a lot of 'borderline' calls all managed to break the Cowboys' way.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GDS_Starfury

DOLPHINS IN THE SUPER BOWL!!!!!

............ oh wait.who put something in my drink?
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 04, 2015, 08:13:49 PM
I think the zebras had a hand in that one.  I'm not usually a fan of bashing the refs, but it seemed like a lot of 'borderline' calls all managed to break the Cowboys' way.

It's the Lions. No one is really going to question them sucking.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Martok

...And my nightmare scenario of a Cowboys-Patriots Super Bowl comes one step closer.  Should such a calamity come to pass, I will know beyond any doubt that there is no God. 

Quote from: Marty Ward on January 03, 2015, 11:26:38 PM
How 'bout dem Ravens!!!!!!!!
All credit to Baltimore, but I'm still bummed about the Steelers losing.  :( 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

OJsDad

Quote from: MetalDog on January 02, 2015, 11:04:11 PM
So, let's quit jerking around.  Tell me what criteria you use to judge the 'best' conference around?  Until we rely on something more concrete than opinion and conjecture, we are not going to have a consensus.  Bowl record?  Win/loss records?  Number of NFL graduates?  National Championships?  Recruiting classes?  Head to head record?  Is there a metric for strength of schedule?  What are we using?

This is why I think they need a playoff system.  Do I think they need to expand it to six or eight teams, yes, but they need some kind of playoff system.  In many articles that I've read, they all point out the same thing, if we were still in the BCS era, than neither Oregon or Ohio State would be playing for a national title, instead you would have Alabama and Florida State playing for it.

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Marty Ward

Quote from: Martok on January 04, 2015, 11:56:59 PM

All credit to Baltimore, but I'm still bummed about the Steelers losing.  :(

This was the first Ravens game in a long time where I wasn't nervous before the game started. I was just hoping we didn't get blown out or play like ass. I sure didn't expect them to win.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

Marty Ward

Quote from: OJsDad on January 05, 2015, 09:20:41 AM

This is why I think they need a playoff system.  Do I think they need to expand it to six or eight teams, yes, but they need some kind of playoff system.  In many articles that I've read, they all point out the same thing, if we were still in the BCS era, than neither Oregon or Ohio State would be playing for a national title, instead you would have Alabama and Florida State playing for it.

Personally I'd rather see the two best collage teams, chosen by consensus, play for the title.
With 4 you can sometimes make a case that the two best will end up in the title game. Expand it to 8 teams and try to make that case when #8 upsets #1 and wins it all. I mean do you really think Mississippi State would be considered the best team this year?
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

MetalDog

Quote from: MetalDog on January 04, 2015, 09:51:29 AM
So far I am 2 for 2 picking winners against the spread.  I've got the Colts giving 3 and 1/2 and the Lions getting 6 and 1/2.

I got all four of them right!  I won all you can eat Popeye's chicken and hockey tickets!

In response to OJsDad and Marty, concerning college playoffs/champions.  Let me start out by saying, I don't really like college football.  It's an inferior brand to the pros and with the 100+ teams that play every year and the 60 odd that make a bowl, I think it makes a farce out of any attempt to crown a "true" National Champion.  There is no way to determine who belongs where and what is the criteria for including/denying participants.  The NCAA is a outdated institution upholding a standard, amateurism, that is no longer true about any of the sports played by the member schools.  Any outside body that can pick a "consensus" to play for the championship is fraught with bias, lack of transparency and no concrete criteria for making said selections.  In other words, college football is fuc*ed!

Having said all that, if you still want a way to determine a "true" National Champion, I really think the NFL model is the only way.  I mentioned it upthread and the gist is, four 16 team super conferences, two divisions a piece.  Division winners play for the Conference Championship.  Conference champions play a national semifinal and the winners play for the National Championship.  The Super Bowl isn't always won by the "best" team and neither will the National Championship.  Doing it this way leaves no doubt who actually did win it though.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Steelgrave

^+1

Can you imagine a four team NFL playoff or selecting the NFL champion by consensus vote???   :P

OJsDad

MD, I agree with what you say about a play off for college football.  The biggest problem is going to get schools that are in Div I, or whatever they call the top division now, out that have never fielded a competitive team and never will. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Martok on January 04, 2015, 11:56:59 PM
...And my nightmare scenario of a Cowboys-Patriots Super Bowl comes one step closer.  Should such a calamity come to pass, I will know beyond any doubt that there is no God. 

if that shit show happens I'm rooting for the Cowboys.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.