The 2014 Running Football Thread (College & Pro)

Started by bayonetbrant, February 07, 2014, 10:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelgrave

OJsDad

Quote from: Steelgrave on January 02, 2015, 07:04:17 AM
Two games, two upsets. You could argue these college playoffs just invalidated every college "championship" ever awarded by polls. This is how championships should be decided....on the field.

Can't wait for an 8 and then a 16 game playoff.

Two upsets?  The Oregon-FSU game was closer for longer than I thought it would be.  Then FSU imploded and just gave up.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Steelgrave

Quote from: OJsDad on January 02, 2015, 09:04:38 AM
Quote from: Steelgrave on January 02, 2015, 07:04:17 AM
Two games, two upsets. You could argue these college playoffs just invalidated every college "championship" ever awarded by polls. This is how championships should be decided....on the field.

Can't wait for an 8 and then a 16 game playoff.

Two upsets?  The Oregon-FSU game was closer for longer than I thought it would be.  Then FSU imploded and just gave up.

I said "two upsets" because I thought both Alabama and FSU were favorites going into the game. No?

OJsDad

You may be correct Steel, but I thought Oregon was the favorite. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Steelgrave

Quote from: OJsDad on January 02, 2015, 09:08:18 AM
You may be correct Steel, but I thought Oregon was the favorite.

Clearly they were the best team, whether favored or not    O0

OJsDad

The Buckeyes started their preseason third string quarterback for only his second start against the #1 ranked team.  One of the biggest passing scores wasn't even made by him, but by one of the receivers, one that was made by inches.

MetalDog

I certainly can't blame you for reveling in OSU's upset of the Tide and that play in particular, but if I never see that lucky a$$ play ever again...it'll be too soon.

As for favorites, both Oregon and Alabama were the favorites in their respective games.  Both were around 9 point favorites.  I had both games, too.  Oregon -9 and OSU  +9 1/2.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Steelgrave

Quote from: MetalDog on January 02, 2015, 06:38:43 PM
As for favorites, both Oregon and Alabama were the favorites in their respective games.  Both were around 9 point favorites.  I had both games, too.  Oregon -9 and OSU  +9 1/2.

Thanks for clarifying that, Dawg.

MetalDog

Bison

Well with K-State's performance so far tonight, the Big 12 joins the SEC as the most inept conferences in bowl games this year.

airboy

Weird finale to the SEC West.  The top teams: Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi St. Ole Miss all lost.  The Mississippi schools looked really bad.  The two weakest teams: Arkansas and Texas A&M both won their games.

I appreciate the post of the Winston fumble.  I did not see the game and the wife and I both thought it was awesome!

MetalDog

Quote from: Bison on January 02, 2015, 08:23:45 PM
Well with K-State's performance so far tonight, the Big 12 joins the SEC as the most inept conferences in bowl games this year.

The SEC will go no worse than .500 in its 12 bowl matchups.  And if Florida wins tomorrow, it will be 7-5 instead of 6-6.  Yes, there is the epic fail of Alabama, Auburn and the Mississippi schools, but, you get that many births, you lose a few games.  The Big 12 has 1 win.  There's no comparison.

Bison

Quote from: MetalDog on January 02, 2015, 10:03:40 PM
Quote from: Bison on January 02, 2015, 08:23:45 PM

The SEC will go no worse than .500 in its 12 bowl matchups.  And if Florida wins tomorrow, it will be 7-5 instead of 6-6.  Yes, there is the epic fail of Alabama, Auburn and the Mississippi schools, but, you get that many births, you lose a few games.  The Big 12 has 1 win.  There's no comparison.

Starting early on the SEC is the greatest conference in the world, I see.  /sigh/ The Big 12 wasn't a strong conference this year overall, but they did have some really good teams.  The PAC 12 and BIG 10+a couple are really proving themselves to be very good.

MetalDog

You're such a jerk :P  Of course I think the SEC is the best!  The wealth of talent down South along with the cream of the crop from other areas of the country MAKE the SEC the best.  But it's not the ONLY conference.  And there's enough talent to populate many really GOOD teams. 

So, let's quit jerking around.  Tell me what criteria you use to judge the 'best' conference around?  Until we rely on something more concrete than opinion and conjecture, we are not going to have a consensus.  Bowl record?  Win/loss records?  Number of NFL graduates?  National Championships?  Recruiting classes?  Head to head record?  Is there a metric for strength of schedule?  What are we using?

Marty Ward

If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!