The 2014 Running Football Thread (College & Pro)

Started by bayonetbrant, February 07, 2014, 10:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Quote from: MetalDog on January 01, 2015, 10:24:41 AM
That sounds like a bunch of sour grapes from someone who -thinks- he wants what's best.  But when you get Boise State versus Marshall for the National Championship, you won't watch, you won't care and you'll wonder why, "USC, Alabama, Ohio State, fill in the blank," isn't in the championship game. 

I'm with you on the Committee being dunderheads.  A bunch of biased people who don't have to explain how they got to their conclusions.  But what's the alternative?  The BCS?  According to you guys, they failed by giving us a LSU/Alabama rematch in 2011.  Maybe we should go back to a 'mythical' National Champion as voted on by the AP.  Oh, wait.  We had ties in that system, giving split National Champs.  Even a playoff system isn't perfect.  Regardless of what number you limit it to, there will always be a team or six that could argue that they were just as deserving as, x, and they should have gotten in instead of x.  And there will DEFINITELY be times in a playoff where the best team DOESN'T win, they just got outplayed that day.  A key turnover or injury.  Some one we never expected, playing out their mind in a once for the ages performance.  It happens.

No if you are going to call a school a FBS school and a conference of those same schools a FBS conference then that should mean something.  If it does, the answer is a playoff with the champion from each conference being represented.  And if it does end up being Boise State and Marshall then so be it.  I don't see the downside in that game other than "power" conference fay boys being all ass hurt, because they had a harder schedule and conference.  If you aren't going to give the opportunity for Boise State or Marshal or TCU or Fresno State or Bowling Green or Toledo or pick your school, the opportunity to ever play for the championship based on conference affiliation then tell them so and remove the FBS status from the schools and conferences.  Also I didn't watch the Alabama and LSU game.  It held no interest for me and the fact it was a rematch didn't help lure me into watching the game.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on January 01, 2015, 10:27:57 AMI gotta ask though, how did Louisville do?

Not as well as Clemson.  Or NC State, for that matter :D
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

Quote from: Bison on January 01, 2015, 10:38:39 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on January 01, 2015, 10:24:41 AM
That sounds like a bunch of sour grapes from someone who -thinks- he wants what's best.  But when you get Boise State versus Marshall for the National Championship, you won't watch, you won't care and you'll wonder why, "USC, Alabama, Ohio State, fill in the blank," isn't in the championship game. 

I'm with you on the Committee being dunderheads.  A bunch of biased people who don't have to explain how they got to their conclusions.  But what's the alternative?  The BCS?  According to you guys, they failed by giving us a LSU/Alabama rematch in 2011.  Maybe we should go back to a 'mythical' National Champion as voted on by the AP.  Oh, wait.  We had ties in that system, giving split National Champs.  Even a playoff system isn't perfect.  Regardless of what number you limit it to, there will always be a team or six that could argue that they were just as deserving as, x, and they should have gotten in instead of x.  And there will DEFINITELY be times in a playoff where the best team DOESN'T win, they just got outplayed that day.  A key turnover or injury.  Some one we never expected, playing out their mind in a once for the ages performance.  It happens.

No if you are going to call a school a FBS school and a conference of those same schools a FBS conference then that should mean something.  If it does, the answer is a playoff with the champion from each conference being represented.  And if it does end up being Boise State and Marshall then so be it.  I don't see the downside in that game other than "power" conference fay boys being all ass hurt, because they had a harder schedule and conference.  If you aren't going to give the opportunity for Boise State or Marshal or TCU or Fresno State or Bowling Green or Toledo or pick your school, the opportunity to ever play for the championship based on conference affiliation then tell them so and remove the FBS status from the schools and conferences.  Also I didn't watch the Alabama and LSU game.  It held no interest for me and the fact it was a rematch didn't help lure me into watching the game.

In a world that made more sense, it would be four 16 team conferences and everyone else.  There would be two divisions in each of the four conferences of eight teams apiece.You play a fourteen game schedule, the seven in your own division, four from the other division and one each from the other three conferences.  Eight teams get in at the end.  It would be all of the division winners.  First round of the playoff is the conference championship game.  The winners go to a regional semi, located on a rotating basis by geography and bowl.  The winners of the semi play for the National Championship.  That way, all of the winning is done on the field and none of the whining matters.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Bison

^ Exactly although the number and size of conferences could be negotiable.  The end state is conference champions earn a right to play for the national title.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on January 01, 2015, 12:57:52 PM
In a world that made more sense, it would be four 16 team conferences and everyone else.  There would be two divisions in each of the four conferences of eight teams apiece.You play a fourteen game schedule, the seven in your own division, four from the other division and one each from the other three conferences.  Eight teams get in at the end.  It would be all of the division winners.  First round of the playoff is the conference championship game.  The winners go to a regional semi, located on a rotating basis by geography and bowl.  The winners of the semi play for the National Championship.  That way, all of the winning is done on the field and none of the whining matters.

they call that the NFL
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 01, 2015, 02:10:53 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on January 01, 2015, 12:57:52 PM

they call that the NFL

Some fairly obvious technical issues calling MD's scheme the NFL.   O:-)

MetalDog

Look.  Neither of the last two NFL Commissioners were idiots.  They have expanded their influence to every month of the season.  Part of baseballs demise is directly attributed to that.  Fans have an insatiable appetite for 'insider' information.  It's easy to figure out how to bet on it and it's presented in an easily consumable form in a visual medium.  Football is the 800 pound gorilla and college football is the free feeder system.  Part of the reason owners have so much money is because they don't have to pay for a minor league.  And that's what it is ultimately about.  Money.  And what better model for college to follow than the pros?  So, my scenario, while not original to me, I see being what we will get in the future.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

OJsDad

YES!!!!  Michigan State just came from 20 points down at the start of the 4th and beat Baylor and their whiny arse coach.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Bison

Bison

Wow.  Oregon and Florida State's defenses suck.

bayonetbrant

That's probably the nail in FSU's coffin right there.

Next steps?  'Bama beats OSU like a rented mule, then get killed by Oregon at Jerryworld.

Bison

BAHAHAHAHA!   The fumble by Winston will live right up there with the Sanchez butt fumble in infamy.   HAHAHAHA!  Hilarious. 

Bison

So I guess the computers and the committee had completely overrated Florida State ...

Bison

Frankly if I was Jumbo, I'd just break out the lawn chair, a bucket of crab legs, and a six pack and enjoy the rest of the Rose Bowl in relaxing comfort.  And no I wouldn't offer Winston any of my crab legs.

Bison

Well hopefully losing the coin toss is the worst thing that happens to OSU in the game tonight.