The 2014 Running Football Thread (College & Pro)

Started by bayonetbrant, February 07, 2014, 10:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Well I think TCU or Baylor deserves to be in the playoffs, but my early prediction is that the four teams will be Alabama, Oregon, Ohio State, and Florida State.  Frankly FSU doesn't deserve it, but how do you not let an undefeated defending champion no play to defend their title.

I'd like to see the NCAA drop a few regular season games and expand the playoffs.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on December 07, 2014, 08:18:00 AMFrankly FSU doesn't deserve it, but how do you not let an undefeated defending champion no play to defend their title.

They're the only team in the top 25 to play all FBS-level opponents.  No I-AA teams on their schedule.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 07, 2014, 08:27:13 AM
They're the only team in the top 25 to play all FBS-level opponents.  No I-AA teams on their schedule.

The Citadal is FCS team.

OJsDad

Quote from: Bison on December 07, 2014, 08:18:00 AMFrankly FSU doesn't deserve it, but how do you not let an undefeated defending champion no play to defend their title.

Which non FBS-level team did Ohio State play this year.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

Quote from: Bison on December 07, 2014, 08:18:00 AM
Well I think TCU or Baylor deserves to be in the playoffs, but my early prediction is that the four teams will be Alabama, Oregon, Ohio State, and Florida State.  Frankly FSU doesn't deserve it, but how do you not let an undefeated defending champion no play to defend their title.

I'd like to see the NCAA drop a few regular season games and expand the playoffs.

I think they only need to expand it to eight teams.  The conference champions from the power 5 conferences and three at large.  That would add one week.  This should be easy to do.  The first round games are played 1 Jan. and the championship game is played on the 12th.  The time is there to play a third round. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: OJsDad on December 07, 2014, 09:12:52 AM

I mis-spoke - I didn't hear it right on the radio earlier.

FSU is the only team to beat 12 power-5 teams.  They did play an FCS team, but other than that 1, they only played power 5 teams.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

OJsDad

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 07, 2014, 09:28:18 AM
Quote from: OJsDad on December 07, 2014, 09:12:52 AM

I mis-spoke - I didn't hear it right on the radio earlier.

FSU is the only team to beat 12 power-5 teams.  They did play an FCS team, but other than that 1, they only played power 5 teams.

No problems.  I'm glad I'm not the only one that does that :)

bayonetbrant

Quote from: OJsDad on December 07, 2014, 09:18:59 AM
I think they only need to expand it to eight teams.  The conference champions from the power 5 conferences and three at large.  That would add one week.  This should be easy to do.  The first round games are played 1 Jan. and the championship game is played on the 12th.  The time is there to play a third round. 

In what universe - ever - did the #7 team in any college football season have the remotest claim on "we should play for the title?"

You'd rather have an 8-5 conference champ (like UConn back in 2010) in the tournament?
Or how about a 9-3 Va Tech team (ACC 2008)
What claim did the 2012 Wisconsin Badgers have on a playoff berth, when rolling through the Big 10 er... 14, at a devastating 8-4?
10-3 K-State (Big XII, 2003)?
9-3 Nebraska (Big XII, 2006)?
9-2 Georgia (SEC, 2005)?
8-3 LSU (SEC, 2001)?

I agree that conference championships should mean something.  But let's face it, there have been some real stinkers of conference champs out there, and there's no way they should get in.

For 90 years, we argued over who was #1
For the past 16 years, we argued over who was #1 and #2
Now we're arguing over who is #s 1-4
Do you *really* think you're going to get any more precision arguing over #s 1-8?

Bison

Yes.
Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 07, 2014, 09:46:21 AM

In what universe - ever - did the #7 team in any college football season have the remotest claim on "we should play for the title?"

You'd rather have an 8-5 conference champ (like UConn back in 2010) in the tournament?
What claim did the 2012 Wisconsin Badgers have on a playoff berth, when rolling through the Big 10 er... 14, at a devastating 8-4?
9-2 Georgia (SEC, 2005)?
8-3 LSU (SEC, 2001)?

I agree that conference championships should mean something.  But let's face it, there have been some real stinkers of conference champs out there, and there's no way they should get in.

Do you *really* think you're going to get any more precision arguing over #s 1-8?

Yes.  And it'd end all the this conference is better b.s.   

Martok

That was a bullshit called fumble by the refs.  Patterson does need to learn to hold on to the ball better, though. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

OJsDad

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 07, 2014, 09:46:21 AM

9-2 Georgia (SEC, 2005)?
8-3 LSU (SEC, 2001)?

Your right.  Why would we ever think that the 8th ranked team would ever have a chance of betting the first ranked team.

bayonetbrant

The question isn't "can they"

It's "should they even have a chance to"

Bison

I think the NCAA basketball tourney really proves the greatness that is American college sports.  On any given day...

Martok

Ha!  Well that was an unexpected ending.  I actually thought the Jets were going to pull it off there. 

Sorry Gus
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on December 07, 2014, 04:21:59 PM
I think the NCAA basketball tourney really proves the greatness that is American college sports.  On any given day...

Without hitting Wikipedia, who was the best team in baseball in 2001...