REAL Wargaming

Started by GJK, May 22, 2013, 06:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

I've been playing Lost Battalion Games' Sergeants Miniature Game lately. It's a blast and sort of a cross over minis/boardgame.

http://www.lostbattaliongames.com/c-49-sergeants-miniatures-game.aspx

You get really detailed pre-painted mini soldiers and all the terrain is printed on map boards, so for the un-artistic like me it looks great when you play.  :P
The combat mechanic is done through card draw: I fire by drawing a card from my pile to see if I hit, then the other player draws from his pile to see what the damage is.
It's certainly no ASL but it is fun to play. They are even making 3D terrain features for it now.

The major con of the system is it's not cheap.... in fact it's fairly expensive. Minis general cost about $10 a piece, though a bit cheaper in bundles. Base game that has map pieces for small areas and 5 soldiers for each the US and Germans is $89. 3D terrain sets go for about $40.

GJK

Ah yes, I had meant to go back and have a look at Sergeant's Mini's.  I have the original "Sergeants" game (non-mini's) that came out many years ago and thought that it was an ok lite wargame.  Those mini's for the game now look really good - but yeah, not cheap.  Marco Arnaud did a review of Sergeant's Mini's I think...I'll have to go watch his review.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Toonces

Heaven help me, but I've been reading the rules- and might just break out and play- Magic Realm.  The copy I acquired is already completely punched and is a total player's copy, so there's no reason not to spread it out on the table and give it a go.

The rules so far haven't been quite as intimidating as I've been led to believe.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

GJK

I've always heard good things about MR.  Never played or even seen it myself but that genre of game usually isn't my style.  Still, I just pulled it up on BGG and it has some really good reviews.  This 3D mini's version looks really good too!

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1094878/magic-realm?size=large
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

There were some CABS folks back in Ohio that loves that game
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

I'd really like to download Barbarian Prince and go print a high-quality copy at Kinko's...

I remember Magic Realm - my dad had that game and it was one of the first I'd go through. I was too young to understand the rules (or too lazy to read them, perhaps a bit of both), but that game fascinated me. That's the one with the hexagon tiles, right?

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: GJK on July 30, 2013, 11:06:23 PM
Wow, great response that sparks some good dialogue.  I hadn't thought of the "buckets o' dice" (BOD) as a "system".  I have John Prados' Third Reich (boardgame) and if you read some of the ratings comments on BGG, many complain about the BOD system and many also have praise.  I haven't played that game much so never really had any thoughts on it personally.  I also own, have played and rather enjoy "Fire in the Sky" (MMP).  It too uses a similar BOG system and I thought that it was very innovative when I first learned and started playing it.  No CRT's, you roll x number of dice, and 5's and 6's are "hits".  Easy enough.  Hmmmm, so where do I stand on the BOD system.  I guess I'm mixed about it.  The "traditionalist" in me loves charts, charts and more charts as it seems (on outward appearance) that you are really crunching numbers and getting quite detailed in historical accuracy.  I guess the other half of me likes the quite simplicity of the BOD system.  Man, that is some thought proviking stuff.  Looks like we have a sub-sub-topic Q here; what do you think of the BOD system vs traditional CRT's?  Thinking more on it, I think I'd lean tables and charts but can certainly put up with BOD systems in certain games.  I don't see ASL running a BOD system, that's for sure.

Admittedly jumping into this almost a year later, but some interesting comments in the thread.

It's funny that you suggest ASL players would jump all over a 'bucket of dice' system for being nothing more a luck-driven game, when ASL is probably one of the more "dicey" game systems in its own right. The only game I recall with any clarity as being related to the BOD concept is Axis & Allies, so perhaps I'm not understanding the principles correctly - please correct me if I am way off base.

But having said that, anyone who has invested the time in learning ASL generally considers it fun, and I think it is often the quirky turns of fate that make it so. Not that there isn't skill involved - I suppose that would go for Axis & Allies, too, and I am sure one could be a competitive player at it if one really wanted. Figuring out where one ends and the other begins is always the problem, and it isn't always related to the dice.

QuoteWhen we enjoy a good outcome due to luck, we are naturally inclined to chalk up our success to skill. Similarly, if we suffer an adverse outcome because of poor skill, we blame our bad luck.

Untangling Skill and Luck

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GJK

Nice looking map - game?

It is a trick to get the beveling just right in Photoshop (or whatever) when doing mountains/hills.  If not done properly, sitting on one side of the board and you get what looks like a bump but from the other side, it looks like a depression.  This map doesn't appear to have that issue (turning my laptop all around to look at it from different angles).
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

it's vaporware...  it's maybe / kinda / supposed to be Starkweather's Doomsday game that's been discussed on CSW since 2006.

bayonetbrant

Barthheart

WOW! What's that from?  :o

bayonetbrant

Barthheart

bayonetbrant