Boardgame app, with 100 maps, and many icons to place, even RPG sheets

Started by gameleaper, February 01, 2017, 11:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameleaper

https://numbergamer8.itch.io/sheetsanddots

Ive made an app , to display a sheet on screen, and then display dots, like the SSD in star fleet battles , but you can use it for any game. the sheet and dots will remain on top of the screen, so you can run apps like vassal behind

Ok I added 20 types of dots, so you can have numbers, or different color dots, icons for tanks or planes infantry, missiles, exploisions etc.. you can use maps, wargames,and even RPG character sheets. all types of boardgame

Nefaro

Oooooo!

So we can create ship SSDs with it?  And actually mark the boxes? 

There are probably numerous ship/aircraft combat games that can be done with a simple digital hex map, but need some kind of digital SSD functionality to actually work.

gameleaper

yes, only thing I could not do was move dots with sheet, so don't move sheet , or move dots when you do. hires like you have Nef would be good for this. but I'm finding it good on 1024x768 for a couple of ships

Nefaro

And what's the program you're using for the hex map & 'counters'?  Just a generic Vassal module?

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

gameleaper

the link works for me, but I will attach it here, will someone else try the link?

Nefaro

Quote from: gameleaper on February 01, 2017, 11:21:01 AM
the link works for me, but I will attach it here, will someone else try the link?

Original link didn't work for me.  Got 404 error.

I figured you might end up tweaking this some, per usual, so figured I'd pick it up a little later.

gameleaper

twang , I had saved it as a draft project, I just published it now, should work now.

I have found if you create dots and don't move them, so you would be creating dots precicly ontop of each other they don't drag until you select them in the taskbar, but normal create and move it is fine

I also think GJK multi monitor setup would be great for this app

gameleaper

I have included small sheets so you can have a few on screen, let me know if you want more types and sizes of sheets, I can make dots smaller if needed too

gameleaper

gameleaper

if you create 10 sub folders for dot.exe and dot.gif, you can create numbers from 0 to 9 and add them to energy allocation sheet, screen space is needed though

bbmike

gameleaper, this works but I think it might be too difficult to use when playing a game. If you have a lot of ships to track, rules to look up, etc. it gets difficult because you can't move the windows easily.
Now, if you could put all of the sheets and dots inside one program it might work. Something like your excellent Map It RPG app. You could have multiple sheets and dots on each!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

gameleaper

I just made a small dot so you can cut the space needed, and a multi monitor would help, but yes its hard for a lot of ships, but not all ships have to be used with this JUST IMPORTANT SHIPS and the rest use as normal, and probably best for scenarios with a small number of ships.

is there some way to use the taskbar to select all the sheet and dots? I think you can increase its size and autohide it, but its not best .

I will probably look at putting it in one app, but its not just for SFB

bbmike

gameleaper, your Map It program works for this! Not only that but you can use it to create SSDs as well! I did this in just a couple of seconds:

All you need to do is create a 'Floor Map' tileset with the blocks and text (what I did). You could also pre-draw a ship outline on 'board.bmp' and then add the blocks/text and re-save it. Plus, you can have multiple instances of your app running (not sure if there's a limit). That makes it easier to track more than one ship (though it would be better for one program to track them all). 
I realize this is probably SFB specific but I've been looking for a way to track SSDs and this could be it.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

gameleaper

ok done it, its online now, I did a complete new app, that keeps all ssd info on one app, so just start an ssd for each ship, they also minimise so easy control,