Check out the latest build of Star Citizen

Started by Jarhead0331, January 17, 2016, 12:00:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

You guys gotta watch this one. It shows off a single player mission, combat against pirates with the assistance of local security forces, EVA in space and a most unexpected ending! Lots of fun here!

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

Griefers. By all rights, that guy should be listed as a pirate now.

Also, hey is Gillian Anderson involved with this thing???  :smitten:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 22, 2016, 02:52:04 PM
Griefers. By all rights, that guy should be listed as a pirate now.

Also, hey is Gillian Anderson involved with this thing???  :smitten:

I don't think it was him, or if it was that it was caused by weapons fire. The area around the station is an armistice zone and weapons are deactivated. He may have crashed into me though.

Yes. Anderson is involved with Squadron 42. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Pete Dero

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15178-Roundup-Free-Fly-212-Patch-And-Other-Updates

On the fence about Star Citizen? Why not give it a try and see what we're building! For the next week, we're enable Free Fly access to all accounts... which means that anyone can jump in to Star Citizen Alpha 2.1.2 today! The Free Fly event gives everyone access to three unique parts of the Star Citizen experience:

Star Citizen Alpha 2.1.2 – Also known as Crusader or the "mini-PU," this is the nucleus of the world we're building! Featuring multiple space stations and environments, scripted missions, places to explore and more, Alpha 2.1.2 is your first look at a much larger universe!
    Arena Commander – Arena Commander is a 'game within a game' that we've used to develop our flight mechanics and ship combat balance. Take on human opponents or an AI swarm in single seat fighter.
    Social Module – Interact with other players while you explore our first landing zone, ArcCorp! The Social Module is intended as a starting point for our world building,

Seems you better get it now if you think of buying it :

At the December livestream, we announced that Squadron 42 and Star Citizen will be split into two separate packages in the near future. To update on this: the split will occur on February 14th. Squadron 42 will be available as either a stand alone game or an optional addon for Star Citizen rather than be included by default. If you want to lock in both games for the lowest possible price, consider pledging before this deadline.

Yskonyn

I am not an insider by any stretch, but doesn't that last blob look like another sleek scheme to get even more money? In effect they are going to release two games now.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

That does seem kind of lame.

Really though, if you have any interest in the game, save yourself the trouble and aggravation and just pledge now. Pick up a $30 ship package and you'll also get Squadron 42 included. If you're one of those guys that knows you're going to want this, just buy in now. Its going to be awesome.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Pete Dero

I think you need a package starting at $54.45  to get Squadron 42 included.  If i'm correct lesser value items only give you a ship.

undercovergeek

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 30, 2016, 10:20:45 AM
If you're one of those guys that knows you're going to want this, just buy in now. Its going to be awesome.

Depends on Linux support, for me.  I'm pretty sure they've said it's planned, but the wise Linux gamer never buys a game on the promise of a port.

Otherwise, I'm 100% in for this after seeing your videos Jarhead.  O0

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Pete Dero on January 30, 2016, 11:35:08 AM
I think you need a package starting at $54.45  to get Squadron 42 included.  If i'm correct lesser value items only give you a ship.

If that is the case, it's new. I bought a $35 dollar ship package and it included squadron 42 access,but that was some time ago.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on January 30, 2016, 12:12:51 PM
whats the difference between the 2 games?

Squadron 42 is a single player campaign similar to the original wing commander series. Star Citizen is more like a massively multiplayer online flight, combat and role playing experience.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

undercovergeek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 30, 2016, 12:36:17 PM

Squadron 42 is a single player campaign similar to the original wing commander series. Star Citizen is more like a massively multiplayer online flight, combat and role playing experience.

are they 2 entirely seperate games or do you use the same character and ship in both - similar to elite

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on January 30, 2016, 01:12:31 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 30, 2016, 12:36:17 PM

are they 2 entirely seperate games or do you use the same character and ship in both - similar to elite

Up until recently, it was all one game, just different modes. However, I would imagine that it would be separate characters and ships without continuity. Squadron 42 is a campaign so it's scripted with missions. It has a story line. I would expect there to be limitations on customizations. In any event, Now that it looks like separate packages, I have no idea how it is going to work.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

I know this game gets a bad rap around here, but it seems that the complaints are always based on the amount of money raised as compared to the level of progress and infrequency of updates, as opposed to the content that is actually in the present build. It's as if, people have gown so turned off by the business aspect of the game that they are unable to actually look objectively at what has been released in game at present.

Anyway, I finally got access to version 2.6 of the alpha in the private test universe (it has not been released publicly yet) and I continue to be amazed by what the team has accomplished. Yes, they have such a long way to go, but it is only because of the limitless nature of their dream. What is there is unlike anything in gaming ever. The ships are marvels of digital engineering. They are beautiful to look at, wonderous to fly in and inspiring to interact with. I picked up my first multi-crewed ship and it's just crazy how you can interact with other people in the universe and team up to crew a ship. The details are simply second to none. From the way parts and components on ships animate, to facial expressions, to the way weapons sway when hanging from slings, the game really comes to life, and everything just looks so damn badass. What other game permits a player to start in a space station, EVA out to a ship, fly in space combat against other ships, EVA out to an objective and engage in FPS combat, before going back to your ship and returning home?

It is always painful waiting for the next build, but each one is more revolutionary than the next. I wish I could convince some of you guys to make just a modest investment in the game to get a starter ship so we could explore this amazing and expanding world together.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

I always appreciate your posts on this game because I am fully expecting to pick it up.

However, my personal "hold off" attitude is down to "will this ever be finished" rather than how much the guy raised or actually how much it costs.

Basically I'm waiting on release to see what the game actually is, what price it's at and what "complete" means in terms of this game. I don't know how complete the game is or even what functionality is there besides what you post here because I'm not particularly interested in jumping in until there's an "end" to development - whatever that end may look like.

I couldn't give a rats arse how much the guy made for development. If people want to pay then they'll pay. I know those aren't particularly insightful words - but it is what it is.
Alba gu' brath