E3 Trailer for spy tactical XCOM-like - Phantom Doctrine!

Started by GeneralHawk, June 09, 2018, 10:16:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

sandman2575

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 14, 2018, 02:44:49 PM
I lend very little credence to RPS reviews. I almost always disagree with their conclusions.

With the exception of Tim Stone, whose commentary I really enjoy and trust, I have become wary of RPS's take on things. The Phantom Doctrine review has the same kind of exasperated, weary tone of the BattleTech review, like, no matter what the game offers, it's going to be same old tired, derivative, 'we've seen this before' 'naff' in the eyes of RPS's connoisseur reviewers.

Maybe a little unfair of me, but after a while that tone does wear on me. And who knows -- maybe the game really is a disappointment. But I really hope not!

Jarhead0331

A key theme in the RPS review is that an exploit makes some of the game's other systems unnecessary, and therefore, the game is boring because it encourages the player to rely exclusively on the exploit.

Why not just not use the exploit?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

W8taminute

This game looks good.  I'm going to have to check it out further. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Tpek

Oh gawd these devs are idiots.
Their game almost borked-up my computer.

Instead of limiting the game's framerate to something normal (60 or such), their games by default has an FPS of thousands.
It nearly burnt down my new GPU.

By the time I managed to reach RivaTuner program to limit the FPS the motherboard's built-in protection against this sort of thing kicked in and did an emergency restart.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Tpek

Does anyone know when (which year) does the game takes place?
There seems to be some anachronistic stuff in it (90's style hair-dos and clothing).

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Tpek on August 14, 2018, 04:57:25 PM
There seems to be some anachronistic stuff in it (90's style hair-dos and clothing).

Only seen the description say at the peak of the cold war....

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Steelgrave

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 14, 2018, 06:29:26 PM

Coincidentally, I'm on season four of The Americans, which takes place during the same era and makes this game even more tempting  8)

Ian C

Seeing a few negative reviews on STEAM that claims the AI shoots through several walls and hits your characters.

Con

W8taminute

Picked up the game yesterday and played through the opening tutorial mission and the first regular mission.  Also got a chance to play around the headquarters and world map.

I'm digging this game a lot.  The ai seemingly shooting through walls and windows from across the map is a valid complaint that everyone is having.  But guess what?  Your agents can do the same.  Until this problem is patched I find that if you take out as many of the guards as possible during the quiet stealth portion of the mission you won't have to deal with too many reinforcements during the live fire portion of the mission.  Remember to always check to see if your agents can get a shot off through walls and windows  before moving them and you should be fine.

The real fun of the game is during the planning stages.  On the world map you can send agents to different locations to talk to informants and get information, thwart known enemy agent activities, tail suspect enemy agents to learn more about their network, etc.  Then there are the secret files you work on.  Those files are organized into dossier folders that you go through and try to piece together clues about your enemies and their activities.  The clues are arranged about a cork board.  You 'pin' the clues to the board and then tie 'string' between two or more bits of evidence that you discover are related.  Those files that your agent takes pictures of during missions have a lot to do with obtaining these clues but you can also get clues doing other activities such as talking to informants and successfully investigating enemy activity on the world map.

For me the bottom line with this game is not having to deal with the frustration of the random chance stacked heavily in the computers favor of missing a 99.99999999% chance to hit an enemy during combat and then watching your best soldier that you spent centuries on leveling up die to a long shot from the computer that they always seem to nail.  Instead every shot you and the ai takes hits however the amount of damage dealt depends on various factors such as cover, the amount of awareness you and the ai have remaining that turn, etc.  In this way you have more control over how much damage you take and deal out.

I like this game a lot and will never go back to Xcom. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk