Dominions4

Started by parone, June 18, 2013, 01:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

parone

wow.  aren't they a lot cheaper on desura(like, $5)????

JasonPratt

Quote from: parone on July 09, 2013, 06:23:47 PM
wow.  aren't they a lot cheaper on desura(like, $5)????

Dom1 and 2 might be, but I bought Dom2 (and Dom3) back when they were first released through Shrapnel. And Dom3 has never been $5, has it?--I've seen it down in the $7 range when Gamersgate has a supersale, but it's usually $30. (Or is it now $5 with Dom4 on the way?)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

parone

no, I meant I and II.  cheapest I have ever seen III, I think was like $15 on desura.

I paid like $60 I think.  but in $/hr of enjoyment, it's probably the cheapest game I have ever bought :)

Yskonyn

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 09, 2013, 05:36:06 PM
I have no doubt I'll end up buying Dom4, but probably not out of the gate.

Booooo!
Well then you might miss out on the most awesome alliance !
I mean, I might have to ally with Huw and Parone in the mean time, their influence might then, in turn, affect my ability to ally with you later on, you see? ;) ;)
We all know Huw's effect on people and Parone seems to be a rather cutthroat individual too.
Lol! (Kidding guys)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Huw the Poo

:o

...Tell me what you mean, so I can decide whether to be outraged!

undercovergeek

That sounds like the clang of a gauntlet been thrown

Yskonyn

Caelum greets all with an icy smile!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

parone

why are you just kidding?  am I supposed to be offended by the term 'cutthroat'? 

i'm flattered!

Yskonyn

Yarrr!  ;D
So we're going to be joining up when Dom 4 hits?  :-*

JasonPratt

While I appreciate the attempts at building a team structure into the game, I don't recall seeing real diplomatic options still. I much prefer a dynamically evolving geopolitical game.

Still after all the... um... comments about alliances being UTTERLY COMPLETELY FOREIGN TO THE WHOLE INTENT OF THE GAME (which I grant has a lot in favor of it as a point), I had to laugh when I saw the designers build in some kind of alliance code.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Faux

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 10, 2013, 07:59:30 AM
While I appreciate the attempts at building a team structure into the game, I don't recall seeing real diplomatic options still. I much prefer a dynamically evolving geopolitical game.

Still after all the... um... comments about alliances being UTTERLY COMPLETELY FOREIGN TO THE WHOLE INTENT OF THE GAME (which I grant has a lot in favor of it as a point), I had to laugh when I saw the designers build in some kind of alliance code.

Teamplay mechanics like this are great but I still think there should be no actual ingame diplomacy mechanics. Everything should be up to players. Single player might benefit from some kind of hardcoded diplomacy but then again it would be a single player exclusive feature which is silly.

Nefaro

I think the backgrounds behind the leader units, in that first screenshot, need to be more opaque.  Hopefully you can adjust how much you can see through those because the see-through effect is usually just visually annoying IMO.

Minor complaint, I suppose.  Insta-buy!

parone

I don't think anyone ever said in-game alliances are wrong/unfair.

I DO think pre-game or game long alliances put other players at a major and unforeseen disadvantage, so I think a case can be made to say that's not particularly fair to other players.

as far as team play in Dom4, I must say, I am curious but pretty darn skeptical.   idea sounds great, and I have A LOT of faith(haha, faith-get it?) in the Devs, but I don't know...

Yskonyn

One thing I must admit I was wondering about Dom4:

There was never a hint of it coming, even stronger I still remember a discussion about it on the Shrapnel forums where the debs then explicitly told the community that there was no intent at that time to go for Dom4.

Now that they are free of Shrapnel, suddenly rather quickly Dom4 gets shown...
Now I hope they had already been working on Dom 4 secretly and it's not just a quick upgrade to generate some cash.
A year or two making a new game seems short.

But it'll probably be fine. Right?

Huw the Poo

Quote from: parone on July 10, 2013, 01:36:10 PM
I don't think anyone ever said in-game alliances are wrong/unfair.

I DO think pre-game or game long alliances put other players at a major and unforeseen disadvantage, so I think a case can be made to say that's not particularly fair to other players.

as far as team play in Dom4, I must say, I am curious but pretty darn skeptical.   idea sounds great, and I have A LOT of faith(haha, faith-get it?) in the Devs, but I don't know...

I agree 100% with this.  I've always said that one or two early-game alliances to get a territorial foothold are fine, but large blocs lasting the whole game are not what it's all about, in my opinion.

I'd never ask anyone to play in a way they don't want to, but I will try to avoid those situations if at all possible.