Dominions 3 Middle Age "GROGHAMMER" game [running]

Started by JasonPratt, April 03, 2013, 10:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elitesix

JasonPratt

I'm going to boot the timeclock ahead to Monday night central US time, in order to help any American players make sure they don't feel like they have to rush to get their turns in over the Independence Day weekend.

(You can still rush to get your turns in, of course. Just no pressure to choose between game and family/friends/other-vacation.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mkivcs

Hi Jason,
           Did you or someone else need the extension tonight? If so fine, otherwise I'm just wondering why you didn't wait till after tonight's turn to extend the deadline. This would have allowed us to get the scheduled turn in which I actually put a couple of hour aside for and which now find rather less need for. Then people would have been aware of the longer period before the next turn and could have gone off to celebrate you acquisition of the natives territory in peace ;) Speaking for myself only, and quiet happy if it turns out that the others think otherwise, I find such a long delay at short notice does little for my immersion in the game.
I know the game will trigger if everyone submits a turn but past experience has tended to suggest that this does not happen and we all sit around waiting for one person who has forgotten, lost interest, died or been abducted by aliens.
Just my 2 cents worth in the interests of keeping momentum
Cheers

byrdman57

Well if everyone has time tonight, they can still get in their turns. I for one, am glad for the extension though. I will try to get it in tonight, but I have evening plans and won't be home until late tomorrow and will then be immediately leaving again and will be gone all weekend. If I don't get it in tonight, it won't be til Monday.

mkivcs

Quote from: byrdman57 on July 03, 2013, 02:54:57 PM
Well if everyone has time tonight, they can still get in their turns. I for one, am glad for the extension though. I will try to get it in tonight, but I have evening plans and won't be home until late tomorrow and will then be immediately leaving again and will be gone all weekend. If I don't get it in tonight, it won't be til Monday.

But presumably you were planning to put your turn in tonight or did you request a delay? Sorry to bore everyone with this but I'm just trying to understand where we are coming from. I have no issue with delays but would find it much more agreeable if anyone needing one posted a quick note on here. Otherwise it like the magic fairy has been in the night.

elitesix

Quote from: mkivcs on July 03, 2013, 03:17:06 PM
Quote from: byrdman57 on July 03, 2013, 02:54:57 PM

But presumably you were planning to put your turn in tonight or did you request a delay? Sorry to bore everyone with this but I'm just trying to understand where we are coming from. I have no issue with delays but would find it much more agreeable if anyone needing one posted a quick note on here.

+1
It's always important to explain if the delay was on request, the delay length requested.

And I think it's to be expected that in a game of this size, there is going to be around one stale a turn. Looking back over the staling logs confirms this. One stale in 15 players in one turn I think is more conducive to a fun newbie game than waiting and waiting for everyone to put their turn in, when the turns are a week apart. After all, there is something to be said to keep the game moving, and one stale isn't the end of the world!

JasonPratt

As it happened, I wasn't sure I was going to get back in time tonight myself, and that turned out to be true -- I only just now got back (and have played my DomGrog turn, and am about to play Groghammer), but I would have been three hours stale.

I didn't know for sure this was going to be a problem, but it occurred to me that other people might have holiday issues, so I figured I should err on the side of caution.

I did however explain the reason for the delay: Americans have a busy and long holiday weekend coming up and seeing as I'm the one currently responsible for time crunching I didn't want to be the one pressuring someone else to play or stale during the somewhat chaotic time that occurs on a major holiday.

Obviously, this is not an issue for non-American players, but I have always been willing to grant extensions when other people are going to be out on vacation or holiday (official or otherwise). Someone just has to let me know. In this case, I let me know (and let the thread know), and having heard my request I granted the delay, for myself and others in my position this weekend.

"Such nepotism makes me tired," as the great American author Mark Twain might say in response. But to him I would reply:

(Possibly with some lyrical modifications...)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Huw the Poo

No worries Jason, and thank you.  And we all managed to make the turn anyway by the look of it. :)

mkivcs

Hi Jason, I don't have a problem with you lot wanting a chance to have a beer and celebrate your holiday. The only reason I raised it was that I was unclear if anyone needed it. Had you message added 'I may not myself be able make tonight's deadline' I would have understood why we were having the delay this (last)  turn as well as the next.( Which you did explain. ) With 2 stales in the last turn I had visions of a long wait till Tuesday. However I'm glad I raised the subject as we now know that byrdman is away till Monday night and can do the next turn at leisure.
As Huw said, everyone got their turn in within a few hours of the deadline so the Aliens must hast have been on vacation as well.
Have a nice holiday all

PsiSoldier

Can we please set the clock back to 48 hours? We have already greatly surpassed what I believe you intended for the timer to be set to when you changed it for the fourth.

PsiSoldier

By the way I think you guys are way off base with all your talk of alliances in this game anyways.. I have NEVER played any Dominions game in which the game ended with some sort of allied victory with the exception of a game that was setup as teams of 2 from the start in which every nation in the game had a teammate they were allied with but that was of course part of the conditions at the start of the game.   

Essentially in all games temporary alliances form through the use of NAP's and players use diplomacy for their advantage to target the nation they believe to be the biggest threat and progressively changing allegiances as one nation or another is defeated and as circumstances change NAP's or alliances are broken as one player tries to achieve ultimate victory..  Of course by that point or shortly after most players tend to surrender and loose interest in the game and I am often the only one in the game still wanting to fight (whether I am the ultimate power or not) which sucks.  But there have been a number of times when I was reduced to only one province and managed to come back and retake large numbers of provinces before that said crash happened and everyone quit.

From my experience in games with score graphs on this is why I usually try to maintain my nation in a solid third place position until I am ready to take on all comers and then increase my strength in area's that are more threatening on the graphs. For example playing MA Ermor I tend not to reanimate huge numbers of undead undead until I am either seriously threatened myself or until I am ready to take on all other nations that may feel threatened by me.    Not such a big deal in games with score graphs off but it still applies in some ways.

JasonPratt

Quote from: PsiSoldier on July 04, 2013, 11:59:23 AM
Can we please set the clock back to 48 hours? We have already greatly surpassed what I believe you intended for the timer to be set to when you changed it for the fourth.

I'll set it back Saturday night, so it'll go for Monday night Central Standard Time. I found out how to pull the timer back, too. Ignore what it looks like right now, that isn't real.

claes

Quote from: W8taminute on June 18, 2013, 01:28:28 PM
The other flaw with this game that affected me personally was the experience levels of the players involved.  I should have found a game with players who have the same skill level as I do.  I joined this one knowing that quite a few players are very proficient with this game figuring I'd learn something.  I was wrong and instead what I got was absolutely annihilated without any chance of doing damage.  What did I learn?  I learned that A) I will only play PBEM games with people at the same skill level as I am until I become more proficient B) when playing with others who's skill level exceeds your own you learn nothing in this game.

I would be very interested if someone - Jason? - were to set up and host a newb only game where people like W8 and I, and a few others from the sound of it, would be able to just slowly expand, explore, and eventually get into some of the pvp that we are finding very difficult.  It's not necessary, of course, but it would be a nice game and the one I envision would be open field for newbs to ask questions and get answers from the community.  A dream, really, but maybe a possibility... even if it didn't happen for some time.

undercovergeek

I think that was the intention with the massive map he planned so you could try out tactics and experiment against 30 to 40 indys before deciding on your best course of attack

The biggest problem you'll find is that there are so few new games starting that anyone and everyone will jump on a new game whether it says newbie or not - not all, there are honourable people out there - just some

The game should be an open forum of experimentation and practically devoid of 'competition' really whilst new players get their feet, work out magic and forging, ask questions - but you will get someone who will go through you like a knife through butter with all the tricks of the trade who doesn't belong in the game