Dominions 3 Middle Age "GROGHAMMER" game [running]

Started by JasonPratt, April 03, 2013, 10:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

byrdman57

mkivcs, your ermorian nation seems to be doing pretty well. From what I can tell, you have someone else's capital and a rather larger domain.

Huw the Poo

claes

Quote from: W8taminute on June 07, 2013, 02:47:20 PM
Quote from: Bison on June 07, 2013, 02:44:37 PM
Well I think my kindom might end this turn.  I still have no clue what the hell was going on or what I was doing.

Neither did I going into this game and I fear my end is nigh as well.  However I do know much more now than going into the game.  I'm very grateful to have had a chance to play with a bunch of really good guys.  I will definitely want to play another PBEM game of Dom3.
I couldn't have said it better myself ;)

mkivcs

Quote from: byrdman57 on June 07, 2013, 03:44:05 PM
mkivcs, your ermorian nation seems to be doing pretty well. From what I can tell, you have someone else's capital and a rather larger domain.

I'm just house sitting for a friend, As a nation we're as poor as church mice, forced to scratch a living in the badlands that no one else wants. I'm sure the great lord Huw would like to send us gold'is

W8taminute

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 07, 2013, 03:05:53 PM
One or two nations failed last turn, too. (Not Agartha.)

I love how this map is so epic that these tragedies (or victories) can happen off somewhere else I never even know about. :)

I agree.  Lends to the realism of the time period in an age without t.v., radio, or the internets.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Huw the Poo

Quote from: W8taminute on June 07, 2013, 05:24:28 PM
I agree.  Lends to the realism of the time period in an age without t.v., radio, or the internets.

Pah!  I don't know about you primitive savages in Vanheim, but we in Arcoscephale do have an internet - although it seems to be mostly used for looking up this season's hottest breastplates and "barely legal Ermorian sluts".   ???

W8taminute

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

elitesix

Jason:

1) You forgot to post the hosting interval in the game status (currently 144 hours). It's always important to write down the number and post it in the game status info.

2) it is time to reset the hosting interval to 48 hours since it is 48 hours till Monday.

Thanks again for admining the game - it is work!!

elitesix

At this point agartha, if you are reading this, I recommend not sending your 2h until the last minute if you want to give Jason a chance to reset The hosting interval to 48 hours.

Otherwise, if you submit, the next turn will be scheduled 144 hours out as that is the current delay dragging the game out as someone will probably use that entire period and that only leaves force hosting or preponing the posted due date to correct that, both which are bad solutions imho.

I'll ask other admins how they deal with this hosting interval stuff because it seems like our interval gets messed up a lot more than in my other games which also give players weekend delays.

Edit: a quick read over the hosting options yields three settings:
1) change hosting interval
2) postpone current turn due date
3) turn off quick hosting

It seems our problems seem to revolve around changing the hosting interval. I would suggest, in the future, leaving the hosting interval at 48 hours but postponing the turn due date and turn off quick hosting till the delay period is up.

Thus, for example in your case Jason when you were unsure about getting a turn in before monday, you would have post poned the hosting till Monday and turn quick hosting off. It's not a perfect solution, but I think it's better than risking an unneccessary turn of extended hosting intervals.

It might seem nice in theory that you have an extended hosting interval w/quick host so that there is a possibility that the turns go much faster if everyone submits, but I think the reality is because someone typically will use the entire timer on average at least once every two turns, it's actually slower than just delaying the host of the turn while players are unavailable but keeping the game turns at a steady interval once the weekend is over.

At least, those are my humble thoughts on the matter! After all, you are the admin and only you have the password :)

Phobos

Jason Pratt is away, hence the extended interval in this turn.

It's also the 3rd year of the game.  I can understand the rush to get turns in during the early, development phase of the game, but not after that has passed.

JasonPratt

I'm back from the weekend, and the schedule has been reset to 48 hours once Agartha sends in their turn. (Yes, turning off the autohosting might be better if I know someone will be AFK for a protracted time; good advice E6. :) )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

W8taminute

Vlam has not logged in since 2.June 2013

Does anyone here know if he's ok or if he needed to be away for a while?  Is there any way someone can contact him? 

JasonPratt

The turn is about to go anyway (if it hasn't already), and he could still be just holding off until the last minute. I have his email, and I'll ping him directly as well as through the forum if it looks like he's going to stale next turn later this week (around Wednesday).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Vlam

Hey there!
Just stalked a bit yesterday, and saw the warning of elitesix.
So I sent my turn as late as possible :) .