Dominions 3 Middle Age "GROGHAMMER" game [running]

Started by JasonPratt, April 03, 2013, 10:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 31, 2013, 08:35:09 AM
As far as U'geek's situation goes, the only thing I object to is the claim that alliances weren't discussed before game start.

He's in a cleft stick and I sympathize with that. He doesn't want to ally with anyone in this game (he and Ermor allied just fine to fight everyone else in The Big Pretenders.) Not allying with anyone else in this game is going to lead to a loss under his current situation, since he's surrounded by hostiles and not yet strong enough to fight against everyone surrounding him with hope of winning. He can probably slow Chi and Ulm down, maybe even cripple one or both of us, but not while defending against sallies on his other borders.

Now is as good a time as any for one of us to switch over to AI -- I have an absolute ton of other things I can be doing with my time that I'll enjoy just as much or more, that won't annoy other people (or not for no good purpose anyway ;) ), so I have no compunction at all against setting my faction to AI, thus ensuring it won't be cooperating with anyone (except incidentally) against Machaka.

Or since U'geek signed up for a game mode he didn't actually want to play in the first place, and is now realizing that that kind of result could be possible in this game, he can go to AI and wait for a non-alliance game to be set up instead.

In fact, I will volunteer the password for my Groghawk experimental game, which I'm kind of swamped elsewhere about anyway (so I'm not moving very fast in setting it up): I was thinking of having it be a non-alliance game anyway, but I'll give that to U'geek as a gesture of good will, and he can finish setting up and activating that game, with the guarantee thereby that no one will possibly ally with one another on pain of being booted from the game by the admin (namely himself).

Also, that way the game may get started quicker than if I keep the reins.  ;D

Everybody wins. Is that a fair offer, U?  :) (I don't mean that the offer is contingent on going AI in this game. You can have Groghawk to manage as a non-alliance game either way, if you want it.)

I appreciate the offer jason, but as stated in my PM to you it is my fault for not revisiting the OP more than I should - I would not have joined if I understood fully the ramifications of your proposed alliance rules - and again this isn't criticism of your proposals merely my choice to disagree with the direction this game has been steered, and as much right as you have to take it there I have as much to withdraw

I don't want to get drawn on what I think is wrong or what you think is right, there are enough games out there catering to my preference and when I have some freetime ill maybe join one or two, until then I'm cycling through the games I do want to play in without taking any new ones on board

As with most people here its a learning experience - my main one has been to read the game set up

So despite your kind offer ill decline thanks - the current machaka turn is in, after that I will not be sending turns in - best to switch to ai

ScottWAR

We should be hitting the timer today,...but its set for Monday, and of course there is always someone who uses the entire timer......hopefully you can advance the clock instead of having to wait until moday if the one person left doesn't get their turn in soon........we all know the turn should end today..........

JasonPratt

U'geek, the offer for you to admin the Groghawk game remains open (until or unless someone else takes it ;) ), in case you change your mind!

If you haven't switched to AI yet this turn, you'll still have to send in one more turn telling the system to switch you to AI. That's done ingame (from the options tab on the main ingame menu after you've loaded your turn).

Scott, I tried to reset the clock back to 48 hours, although I can't tell if it took yet. (I thought I had done so last time, but I guess I did something wrong.)

If it took, then when we all send in our turn, the clock will reset back to 48 hours as the new turn is sent out. (I found that out the hard way earlier in this game when I thought it wouldn't reset until less than 48 hours before the current extended deadline, no matter how often we sent in turns.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

W8taminute

Quote from: ScottWAR on May 31, 2013, 09:05:27 AM
We should be hitting the timer today,...but its set for Monday, and of course there is always someone who uses the entire timer......hopefully you can advance the clock instead of having to wait until moday if the one person left doesn't get their turn in soon........we all know the turn should end today..........

I agree.  I know there is probably a lot of offline discussion going on and players need to sort game negotiations out first before submitting their turns.  Then there are some who are busy with real life and hence can't submit their turns in a timely manner for various reasons.

Still though, sometimes the long wait times between turns (4 or more days) can be frustrating.  Sometimes I forget what's going in game or simply lose interest in playing because when the turn finally does arrive it's almost a chore to play it. 

Guys I know life sucks sometimes and we can't get to what we'd love to get to but I strongly suggest going A.I. if it looks like you're going to be tied up with other stuff.  Committing to a massive PBEM like this one is serious business and if life is getting in the way it might be a good idea to commit to smaller private games or not PBEM at all until real life issues are sorted out.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

elitesix

We could always get a sub. Usually can get a sub if you post on desura within 12-24 hours. And they usually don't require too long to get up to speed - maybe a day or two from what I've seen.

Having a real life player over AI is always more fun, especially for a nation not close to defeat.

Having a player go AI is also closer to turning their provinces independent than having an actual living empire. Meaning it's a large advantage for those players bordering the AI nation. AI nations are horrible at actually doing anything militarily.

Other than the time saved not delaying the game potentially a day or two, I think having real player sub instead of AI is the best option. I can post on desura and find someone if you guys are interested.

undercovergeek

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 31, 2013, 09:37:41 AM
If you haven't switched to AI yet this turn, you'll still have to send in one more turn telling the system to switch you to AI.

done and resent

ScottWAR

Turn has processed and due date is Sunday....looks like everything is back on track....time wise.

elitesix

And then there were only 18 Pretenders left!

JasonPratt

Looks like Pangaea is also out?

If so, be sure to set your team to AI if you have anything left at all to make a turn with, and then send your turn.

Meanwhile, my various allies and quasi-allies ;) should be aware there's a quite massive Machakan army now running loose in the south of their area, which could strike in any direction--but specifically I'm a bit worried about Eriu. Be careful -- the AI doesn't just sit around like an indie when it has a nation.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

elitesix

Just send one neutral fatigue geared thug and you'll kill armies into the hundreds. Unless geek created some armies with mages and scripted them. Then you'll have to use a little bit more strategy.

byrdman57

Looks like now it's a race to carve up his rather large territory.

elitesix

Jason, could you add and update the current hosting interval on The game status page now and whenever you change it so that people will know the interval, because if you submit a turn and the due date is next years, but the interval is 24 hrs, as soon as everyone turns in their file the next due date is 24 hrs out.

We have three nations who haven't submitted yet the turn timer expires  in less than 4 hrs probably due to the above described interaction.

Posting the hosting interval in the game status info will go a long way to alleviating this. For others, I hope you have read this thread and submit your turns. In the meantime, you can also check on the game status page-admin info to get the current hosting interval.

Cheers!

mkivcs

I'm one of the missing ones but no problem I should have my turn in shortly. Just switching over to a new windows 8 machine today and struggling to get everything up and running under this mess of an OS. However just about there and just going to open a beer and plan the move (Or at least push armies around in some vague pretty pattern.)

JasonPratt

E6, now updated. (I had intended to do so after the recent turn, but got distracted on other things and GAAAH IT'S ALMOST NOT THE WEEKEND ANYMORE AND I STILL HAVEN'T PLAYED A SECOND TOWARD FINISHING STRONGooo, wait, after 12, the new Steam deal for the day should be up now.... {clicking}

elitesix

You know, I'm starting to notice in my other games with standard rules (one pretender god takes all, no shared victory), alliances are very common up until the end...

I think unless someone plays a no diplomacy game, you're going to have alliances. And even with no diplo game, there's going to be players who get dogpiled.

Just seems its the way MP dom3 plays out.