Dominions 3 Middle Age "GROGHAMMER" game [running]

Started by JasonPratt, April 03, 2013, 10:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Got it!

Using the math of my brain, I managed to be about 24 hours off, but in the correct direction. :) So you should be safe.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mkivcs

Hi Jason,
            I may be slightly confused here but how does that work, he's already put this turn in so its the next turn that he might need an extension on. That's presuming the clock just goes back to 48 hours after you submit? But maybe its just me in which case its best i stick to playing and not try to admin a game!
cheers

JasonPratt

By setting the deadline that far ahead and then (once I'm sure the system took it) going back to 48 hours, I've set up a situation where anyone could take the deadline if they have to, but we can still play as many turns as everyone manages to send in. So if it turns out Byrd can post turns this weekend after all, it won't be a problem.

Once we all send in a turn less than 48 hours from the deadline, the deadline will start moving ahead again with the normal 48 hour lag.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

mkivcs

Ah I see so in effect the Thursday 30th deadline becomes the deadline for all turns up to any commenced on the 28th.
Another of life's mysteries explored. Thanks for explaining that, not sure it will help me survive in the game but interesting anyway.

Ogaburan

Just did my turn...

Hello from the LlamaServer.
I received an e-mail from you, but unfortunately there seems to be a problem with it.
Your 2h file seems to be for a different turn number to the one the game's currently on. The 2h file is for turn 25, while the game is now on turn 26.

?

JasonPratt

Huh. Weird.

If the game thinks you loaded and played the turn for 25 not 26, but you're sure you saved turn 26, the best (and probably only) thing to try is to go to the Llamaserver page for the game and ask it to resend your turn. Then save that to your folder (making sure to overwrite your turn) -- are you playing the same faction in another game? If so, make sure you're saving to this game's folder not your other one! Then make your moves again and try resending your turn when you've end-turned.

Let me know how that works.

JasonPratt

Also, condolences to Phillipe for being put out as Abysia (or not quite out yet, but with your pretender dead and only one territory remaining you should load up your turn again, go to options, click the button at the top to set your nation to AI, confirm, end turn, and resend the turn to the server.)

I hope you're able to get into another game soon! Phobos' EA game hasn't closed yet I think, although they're close.

elitesix

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 23, 2013, 07:56:47 PM
Also, condolences to Phillipe for being put out as Abysia (or not quite out yet, but with your pretender dead and only one territory remaining you should load up your turn again, go to options, click the button at the top to set your nation to AI, confirm, end turn, and resend the turn to the server.)

I hope you're able to get into another game soon! Phobos' EA game hasn't closed yet I think, although they're close.

Coming back into the game with only 1 province is very doable it you have a fort on it and are holed up inside there with troops to repair. All you need is to convince another nation to attack your aggressor and you can make it back into the game.

But barring that, you are probably out of the game.

Edit: Just loaded the game. Apparently you had no provinces and died! :/

mkivcs

Apologies for that Phillipe, I think that was a war that neither of us wanted but just grew out of a missunderstanding. Still I'm glad not to have anyone hurling fireballs at me this turn.

Ogaburan

Bison

elitesix

How does the shared alliance victory work?

<redacted after reading op>

Edit: reread the op and it seems that shared alliance just is a misnomer for all of the nations agreeing on a winner or  splitting the pot so to speak and declaring everyone a winner. So basically, unless the alliance consists of all remaining nations in the game and there is agreement to stop play, only one nation can claim victory (if by faction we mean race, not an alliance faction...if faction refers to alliance my confusions remains :))

JasonPratt

In principle a shared alliance victory only works if everyone else outside the alliance surrenders or is eliminated (or joins the alliance I suppose.)

The shared allies could of course elect to continue in competition among themselves afterward. No doubt a clearly largest partner would be first among the alliance, but the others could elect to try teaming up against him. Since it's a diplomatic concept external to the game there's nothing forcing partners to abide by particular results; but someone who unexpectedly breaks an SVA is likely to be distrusted in future games.

A victory point win is an independent concept, and one which could be enacted by the server; in fact the server is watching for whoever holds half the victory points simultaneously at which point it will declare a win for that player, and I don't know what happens at that point. This could obviously conflict with an SVA win, so consequently for World of GrogHawk I might not institute an automatic victory point win. However, I also mentioned in the original discussion of the victory point rules that if the game allows us to continue, the other players need not capitulate to the VP holder and might even agree to team up against him (if they haven't done so already).

Basically, unless the game forces an end, the game ends when almost everyone is annoyed or unable to play anymore. ;)

With those precepts in mind:

"Is it as easy as 'alliance' nations only publically announcing on the turn they own the required umber of capitals that they are an alliance and therefore they won the game? Sounds anti-climatic?" -- the game doesn't force an end in that case, so remaining players can elect to continue the struggle against the superior bloc.

If one player in an SVA manages to capture half the VPs, the game will automatically end, and (externally to the game) everyone in the SVA shares the victory. Whether the server allows play after that, I don't know, which is why for Groghawk I may not set an automatic end.

"Is there no limit to the alliance size or can say five large nations alliance up and instantly win the game?" -- only if no one else remains. Similarly, if someone manages to broker an SVA among all players five turns after game start, the game would logically be over, because no combatants remain.

"Or is there a requirement to publicly announce the alliance something like two years before they can win?" -- no, the alliance can be held secretly and announced at any time, just like in theory the alliance could be made at any time. Since this isn't something enforced by the game or the server, it depends on the agreement of the allies as to who is and who is not in the alliance; but then again players outside the alliance might elect to continue. Similarly, if the server detects a win condition, and the winner is part of an SVA, it is the responsibility of the players (in external diplomacy) to affirm who is and who isn't part of the alliance. If the server doesn't end the game at that point, disputes could lead to more gameplay of course. :)

In any case the point to an SVA is that multiple nations can win. (By "faction" I mean a nation's different forms from age to age, so for a game with one age I use the terms equivalently.) But they have to win by mutual agreement. That agreement can be made at the tail end of the game, or before the game even starts, or at any time in between. It isn't about all the remaining nations agreeing on one winner.

At the moment I and T'ien Chi have agreed to an SVA; I may possibly be in one with another nation, too, although to be honest I can't quite tell. ;) That's part of the overarching diplomatic game. :) It's possible that I have agreed to another three or four SVAs without announcing it publicly. It's my responsibility to juggle these things (and anyone else's responsibility to who agrees to them or is angling for them), because just like in real life there might be mutual allies of X who never intended to SVA with each other. If the members don't negotiate clearly enough with one another, the alliance could break down and someone be required to decide which 'side' they're going to take.

The game doesn't abritrate any of this, so it's up to us to work it out among ourselves. The game does apparently call a victory (since I set it up that way) for one player who holds half the VPs at the end of any turn, but I don't know for sure what happens afterward.

elitesix

From the OP:

QuoteVictory Conditions: Whoever reaches 14 victory points first. Victory points are only found in capitols, and the player must hold all 14 simultaneously. A shared victory alliance is also allowed: all remaining factions have agreed to share victory and not continue the game. (Note that as a dominating faction approaches 14 points, the remaining factions may request an extension if by alliance or alliances they still think they have a chance against someone who has probably already taken 2/3 of a very large map.)

We have 21 Nations, so per OP we must hold 14 capitals, or 2/3s of the VPs since vp are only found in capitals.

You wrote this:

QuoteA victory point win is an independent concept, and one which could be enacted by the server; in fact the server is watching for whoever holds half the victory points simultaneously at which point it will declare a win for that player, and I don't know what happens at that point. This could obviously conflict with an SVA win, so consequently for World of GrogHawk I might not institute an automatic victory point win. However, I also mentioned in the original discussion of the victory point rules that if the game allows us to continue, the other players need not capitulate to the VP holder and might even agree to team up against him (if they haven't done so already).

The game doesn't abritrate any of this, so it's up to us to work it out among ourselves. The game does apparently call a victory (since I set it up that way) for one player who holds half the VPs at the end of any turn, but I don't know for sure what happens afterward.

Did you set it up for half or 2/3s?

JasonPratt

2/3; originally it was going to be 1/2, but then I upped it to ensure that whoever held the VPs would certainly have a maximally dominant map position over all remaining players, maybe even if they were put together.

What sadder is that I actually remembered the 14, but didn't bother to recall the 21. ;)