Dominions 3 Middle Age "GROGHAMMER" game [running]

Started by JasonPratt, April 03, 2013, 10:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

And kind of weird. Atlantis routed but you must have assigned troops to move in. (Although I noticed you didn't risk your pretender this time.  :P But no real reason to do so either.  :D)

Your Tritons zerg-rushed my pretender before he finished his setup script, although he mowed down several before dying toward the end of the fight. Apparently after Atlantis retreated, too.

So it ends, I'm the first to go out. :( Well, maybe I can take over someone else's position if they have to quit. With literally no troops and no way to gain troops, and with my pretender dead, I've set the AI to take over the final defense of the castle.

A well-played Supercombatant rush by Atlantis sets him up to utterly dominate the seas. Be warned, all ye along the coast -- be very a-warned!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

claes

In general, what should one do with an indy province that they have acquired?

elitesix

Quote from: claes on April 21, 2013, 04:07:20 PM

Not much, unless it has something especially of value like:
(1) good troops or commanders to recruit (recruit em, or maybe build a fort to get more)
(2) gem sites (gem site tend to cluster, so search in other magic paths there)
(3) high resources (might be a good location for a fort, b/c forts double resources and let you produce your national troops)
(4) in a strategic location, then you may want to increase the province defense more than other places, or place a fort/lab and recruit more troops to defend.
(5) have different scales even under your dominion (though scales change slowly under your dominion) - usually this means there is a hidden magic site affecting the scales. You can google to find the correlations, but growth = nature, cold = water (I think), heat = fire, order = earth, death = death, astral = magic (I think), blood = unrest, not sure on the others offhand

Always check the indie for scouts and mages that have magic paths outside your nation - the latter are gold, the former is important for intel.

Also, indie commanders are very useful, because you are limited to recruiting one commander out of your forts at a time, and usually you want them dedicated to armies or research. If you can use indie commanders for your armies, your forts can more specialize on pumping out your nation's researchers.

Philippe

The turn clock seems to have advanced but the Llama server hasn't sent me the next turn e-mail  yet.

I've checked my spam filter and there's nothing in it.

Is there a way of checking to see if something was sent out to me?  Or is there a way to resend it?
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

elitesix

Quote from: Philippe on April 21, 2013, 04:16:21 PM
The turn clock seems to have advanced but the Llama server hasn't sent me the next turn e-mail  yet.

I've checked my spam filter and there's nothing in it.

Is there a way of checking to see if something was sent out to me?  Or is there a way to resend it?

http://www.llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=Groghammer
Bottom of page: "request turn resend"

Philippe

Just discovered I don't know how to read.

Pressing re-send now.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

undercovergeek

Quote from: elitesix on April 21, 2013, 04:13:45 PM

(1) good troops or commanders to recruit (recruit em, or maybe build a fort to get more)
(2) gem sites (gem site tend to cluster, so search in other magic paths there)
(3) high resources (might be a good location for a fort, b/c forts double resources and let you produce your national troops)
(4) in a strategic location, then you may want to increase the province defense more than other places, or place a fort/lab and recruit more troops to defend.
(5) have different scales even under your dominion (though scales change slowly under your dominion) - usually this means there is a hidden magic site affecting the scales. You can google to find the correlations, but growth = nature, cold = water (I think), heat = fire, order = earth, death = death, astral = magic (I think), blood = unrest, not sure on the others offhand

Always check the indie for scouts and mages that have magic paths outside your nation - the latter are gold, the former is important for intel.

Also, indie commanders are very useful, because you are limited to recruiting one commander out of your forts at a time, and usually you want them dedicated to armies or research. If you can use indie commanders for your armies, your forts can more specialize on pumping out your nation's researchers.

unless the main ethos of your forces is a poisonous attack - then they'll more than likely die - like mine did - twice!

Lunaje

Quote from: elitesix on April 21, 2013, 04:13:45 PM

Regarding this, a very useful post detailing what sites you can expect to find based on province information:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=39973

Of course, this info doesn't replace normal/ritual site searching. But when you see abnormal scales or unrest in a province, or your units getting diseased there, you know what to expect.

JasonPratt

It's certainly important information so as not to waste time and gems on searching for something else there (until later anyway--not every magical site creates scale disturbances or other effects like that.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

elitesix

Has anyone else started bumping heads and going to war? There are a few close capitals on the map...and 2/3s through the first year.

Bison

I have not yet ran into another players army.  Just a matter of time I suspect.

PsiSoldier

Eriu and R'lyhe are neighbors but peaceful relations have been established so we are not at war. On the other hand it will be interesting if R'lyhe bumps into the remaining water nations  SC pretender. Will be fun to see how he fairs being mindblasted 30 or 50 times per turn

JasonPratt

Even more interesting considering your bodies of water are separated by a couple of land territories at the closest point. ;)

W8taminute

Quote from: Bison on April 22, 2013, 11:11:29 AM
I have not yet ran into another players army.  Just a matter of time I suspect.

Same here but I'm not complaining.  I need more time to setup operations and grab some more land.   8)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk