What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Currently reading Ferdinand and Elefant Tank Destroyers by Thomas Anderson and A Frozen Hell by Will Trotter!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: Toonces on January 20, 2019, 09:57:53 PM
I'm thinking, after Don Quixote, of starting Winston Churchill's multi-volume account of WW2.  I already have the first volume, The Gathering Storm, that I picked up somewhere a few years ago. 

Has anybody read it and have an opinion on Churchill the author?

I want to read that series, too; but I was not overly impressed with the recent two-film adaptation starring Michael Gambon Albert Finney. How does someone make Churchill, in WW2's buildup and outbreak no less, as dull as dishwater!? -- apparently by filming him flopping around his house in the nude, like the Grinch.  :hide:

(Around the same time I watched Gambon playing Lyndon B. Johnson during his presidency; in my head the two garrulous twerps merged together.  :buck2: )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

besilarius

Churchill is a great read.  Coming out relatively soon after the war, and with his eyewitness to history, it is involving and carries you on.  Sometimes he can really surprise you with events.
However, he did rewrite some things to make himself look better.  And, many things, like Enigma, were not revealed, so he does not discuss them.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Gusington

Now reading Panther by Thomas Anderson and Nomonhan 1939 by Stuart Goodman.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

Whew!

I finally finished Don Quixote.  I bought the physical book last April when we were out here looking at houses; finished it on Kindle with a different, easier translation in the house we bought.  That is one seriously long book.

I enjoyed it for the most part although I didn't like the end at all. 

I don't see me reading it a second time!  Honestly the last third was a bit of a chore, but I simply wouldn't give up after all that sunk cost getting to that point.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

Currently reading Iron Dragoons (#1) by Richard Fox which is quite good (going to pick up the first Ember War and the first Strike Marines too) and the Battletech Succession Wars Technical Readout.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Puttering along with Case Red (back and forth with several other things), and I can report that at the 50% mark (including whatever end material) Dunkirk was just evacuated. So despite my concern, the author did include a solid Fall Gelb account after all.  O0

What he doesn't provide, which I bought the book hoping for (but after about 10% in was worried he wouldn't), is an eyewitness source account mixed in with the AAR (so to speak), as with other books I've been collecting about the Western Front campaigns.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MetalDog

Quote from: Gusington on February 18, 2019, 02:32:45 PM
Currently reading Iron Dragoons (#1) by Richard Fox which is quite good (going to pick up the first Ember War and the first Strike Marines too) and the Battletech Succession Wars Technical Readout.

:smitten:
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

^You like the Battletech, eh? I did not know this.

Can you recommend any good (full color) books, similar to the one listed above? I'm a little bummed it's only in black and white.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

Most of what I saw from FASA has great covers in color, but, nothing inside the books.  Especially not the Technical Readouts.  There was a series of game supplements that covered the Houses and Clans that might have had some good color illustrations inside.  I just can't get to any of my books as they are in storage right now.  The first Battletech sourcebook I got was the 3025 Technical Readout.  So, I am more of a pre Clans guy than Kerensky Returning.  The pilot blurbs for each mech added soooooooooooooo much flavor and information.  Fired my imagination UP!!!  Love me some Battletech!

Gusington

^After that post I really hope you have the new game. I am just a couple of hours in, know next to nothing about Battletech, and am falling in love with it.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

I do not.  And I suspect my machine might be on the low end of required specs, if it qualifies at all.  But, I have a feeling I could disappear into that game if it's all I've read about it.

Gusington

It's very solid. My one complaint is the slow loading time/general sluggishness of the game under the hood...I can feel the game churning along. Other than that, I love it.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

Once they pry Windows 7 from my cold, angry, hands, I will upgrade to a machine that can handle it.  Then it's just a matter of time before I get me some Mech goodness!

Toonces

I've been working my way through Matterhorn

Man alive, what a fucking clusterfuck Vietnam was, if this book is even remotely representative of real life.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs