We like the FRIDAY, we like the disco sound

Started by undercovergeek, June 26, 2015, 03:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

As I noted in another thread recently: the original Shogun: Total War still has play value as a computer adaptation of a famous board game (Ikeda I think it's called now? -- used to be called Shogun), with naturally some extensions to the rules because computers can do that.

And then MTW1 expands those rules for what amounts to a computer adaptation of the Shogun board game to the standard medieval Medi-Europe-PersianGulf-WestAsia map and timeframe.

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on June 26, 2015, 08:34:33 AM
Quote from: Gusington on June 26, 2015, 08:22:39 AM
I love UCG so much I made him a mix tape. Made one for the spider monkeys too.

With that out of the way I will continue on with Grim Dawn (love it) and start an Undead campaign in AoWIII Eternal Lords. Then maybe start AssCreed Black Flag and then maybe some SpecOps -The Line. Pulling up the rear is the TW DLC The Last Roman.

Damn it feels good to be a gamer.

I pretty sure I'll play some Last Roman and possibly some vassal PBEM and maybe some DCS or CLoD or even ARMAIII.

And that's pretty much what happened, except that the Last Roman thing turned out to be pretty epic.  Just before the volcano blew,it looked like the Ostrogoths were about to take over the world.  They were beating the Franks and the Romans and maybe even the Vandals.  As a Visigoth, I could not let that happen.  So I threw everything I had into what I hoped would be a series of whirlwind campaigns to shore up the Franks and wreck the Ostrogoths.  Everything went wrong pretty fast after that.  I lost two fleets and 4 armies.  I was only able to keep going by looting and diplomatic payoffs and pouring the funds into mercenaries.  But eventually the Franks pulled themselves together and defeated the Bretons, while I wiped out the Basques and put some dents into the Burgundians and even the Ostrogoths.  The AI -- especially for the Ostrogoths -- has been doing well I think.  Doing dispersed raids and then concentrating to wipe out any exposed armies that are in their area.
Seems like the best few hours of TW I've ever played. 

Gusington

There are many undead cities but this one is mine...and my capital.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

The Un-Dead keep a very well manicured forest I'll say. And graveyard too.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Martok

The Age of Wonders series has never lacked in the art department.  AoW3 is easily one of the best-looking strategy games I've ever had the joy of playing. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

BanzaiCat

I need to fire it up again (AoW III). I'm just afraid it'll crash again.  :-[

MetalDog

We need to mp that b-hotch.  Maybe go 2v2.  Play out all the tactical battles.  If it does 6, we could go 2v2v2.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

I only had one crash in AoW3 in about 25 hours of play. I would enjoy some MP, this is like Warlock on steroids.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

I'm down.  Should have some time this weekend if you're serious.  The benefit is, guy with the most DLC is what we ALL play with.  So, only one of us needs it to let all of us play :)

BanzaiCat

I have no DLC, so if you guys go that route, I'm out. I still need to put some time into it before I'm comfortable putting more money into it with DLC stuff.

MetalDog

Pretty sure Gus has all of it, B_C.  That means we can play all of them as long as Gus hosts.  Although, I suppose we could all get the benefit of the DLC if someone other than its owner hosted.  Would have to try that theory out first.

BanzaiCat

Oh...geez, okay. I just assumed EVERYONE had to have the DLC in order to play it.

Tuna

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

bob, W8 and I have.  And I have mp'd two player games.  It would be better with more as you still have the option to auto-resolve battles or play them out.  If it's just two guys and several a.i.'s, you kind of feel obligated to auto.  If it's all human players, we can fight out the battles.  Better way to determine the outcome, don't you think?