Forbidden Stars - WH40K strategy/conquest game

Started by Nefaro, March 18, 2015, 07:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Game is out now.  Has anyone picked it up?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

LongBlade

I have played it - not my copy.

First game was to figure out the dynamics.

We liked it but are scheduling a second game soon to get into it for real.

Each side plays differently.

Objective is to capture a number of tokens, each of which is scattered by other players across the map.

There are shifting "warp" borders which block off one edge of a map board (several of which are in play and are moved by the players each turn). This can make for interesting variations in the game since you cannot cross from one board to another where they block.

There is a production aspect of the game which drives players to create more units and yet is constrained by the systems he controls. So as you expand you cannot cover all the planets you pass through, yet you build factories to produce units. They are permanent, and if you abandon them another faction can take control. So you potentially have a long logistical train to support your conquering fleet and yet are trying to protect your home production worlds.

It makes for some challenging play but seems fun so far.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Arctic Blast

It's on the 'buy eventually' list. Still very interested in having it, but the price tag coupled with the likelihood that this will join TI3 in that 'Maybe we'll play it once or twice a year' space makes it a lower priority than other games more likely to see the table more often.

Nefaro

Quote from: Arctic Blast on July 01, 2015, 11:26:21 PM
It's on the 'buy eventually' list. Still very interested in having it, but the price tag coupled with the likelihood that this will join TI3 in that 'Maybe we'll play it once or twice a year' space makes it a lower priority than other games more likely to see the table more often.

Same.  I plan on getting it at some point.

From the reviews I've seen, most recommend it as a 2-player game.  Due to the long combat resolutions, which seem to be enjoyed but can cause downtime to others who aren't in a battle at any one moment.

W8taminute

LB your comments renew my excitement for the game, thanks.  I've got it on my wishlist and will buy once I get some spare cash. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk