Streaming Gems (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.)

Started by BanzaiCat, December 12, 2014, 09:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

It was very mediocre. As are all the other ones.

This fifth one, I've not seen before. I'm a chump because I went to the theater to see the first three. Since they got more and more of a mess, I watched the fourth one offline and the fifth one just yesterday/today.

The first one is interesting just to see the CGI and effects, but I wouldn't waste my time with the rest of them, Gus. They just kept making more of them as each made about a billion dollars, especially thanks to the Asian market (giant robots are their thing apparently). This fifth one is just bad. So much shoehorning and plot holes and unconnected events...it's like watching a screenplay written by a five-year-old.

BanzaiCat

"The first military movie, made for military personnel and veterans, made by military personnel, with a cast made up of at least 75% veterans."

"There were three GWOT Medal of Honor recipients cast in this film, Clint Romesha, Dakota Meyer, and Leroy Petry, all playing themselves."

Warning: very NSFW red-band trailer. ;D

This gem is on Amazon Prime.

The best Amazon review:
QuoteAfter watching Range 15 my beard grew 8 inches, my manhood stood marble hard, and wife became pregnant, gestated for 9mos in front of my eyes, and birthed a cigar smoking, rifle carrying, whiskey swilling bald eagle. I shoot straighter, drink more, and my bench press increased by 25 lbs. That's after one viewing. If you don't enjoy this movie, you might as well join ISIS... you hate America.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I better not watch it. I can't deal with pregnant wives.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

BanzaiCat

That trailer isn't the greatest for conveying the humor in the movie. This montage clip does a much better job:

mirth

This dropped today

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

I've been watching a series called Mind Hunter on Netflix and enjoying it quite a bit so far.  It takes place in the 70's and tells the story of two FBI agents who developed the techniques to identify and track serial killers.  Some great performances and solid writing in there.  Really like the guy who plays serial killer Ed Kemper; the woman who plays the girlfriend of one of the FBI agents (great, sarcastic sense of humour), and the character of FBI agent Bill Tisch. 

Barthheart

Great series. Can't wait for season 2 to start.  O0

Sir Slash

I finished Season 1 of Luke Cage and am almost through with Ironfist. Both are good but Cage takes home the Blue Ribbon.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

BanzaiCat

Finally finished with Watchmen: Ultimate Cut on Amazon Prime late last night. Bloody thing is over 3.5 hours long, but it's oh so worth it if you're a fan of the graphic novel. The movie that came out on this wasn't all that great, but this 'ultimate cut' is VERY close to the graphic novel, including the sub-story of the shipwrecked captain. The ending is slightly different but it's pretty much the same result. Very worthwhile to check out if you have not done so yet.

Staggerwing

Thanks for the tip B_C. I have an unwatched Watchmen DVD box set someone gifted me. I'll have to see if some of that ultimate is in there. I do know that Tales of the Black Freighter is part of it but don't know if it is anime or live action.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Sir Slash

I've been watching Netflix's docu-drama series, "The Roman Empire: Reign of Blood" which I like a lot. The second season is about Julius Ceasar which is great. but one thing about this series that just drives me nuts is every battle scene has to be the Holloywood-esc scenes of soldiers fighting like Bruce Lee with swords. Never the more correct style of the Cohort formation, the Pilums or whatever and of course Ceasar has to be in the middle of every fight like Braveheart.  :pullhair:   Why do Directors do this? Is it cheaper? Or more exciting they think? Or do they just not give a damn about reality?  :hide:

airboy

Quote from: Sir Slash on July 27, 2018, 10:24:56 PM
I finished Season 1 of Luke Cage and am almost through with Ironfist. Both are good but Cage takes home the Blue Ribbon.

Disliked Iron Fist.  Mr. Whiney Girley-Man.

Sir Slash

Finished Season 2 of Luke Cage. A very un-traditional superhero ending that I'm sure if I like or hate. I'm wondering if maybe they're trying to wrap up the series? I guess when you're bullet-proof you can get away with shit.