Screen Capture Software?

Started by airboy, May 28, 2018, 10:31:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

I'm thinking of doing an AAR of the Russian Civil War with Strategic Command WW1 - Breakthroughs.

But that software does not come with a screenshot feature.

Last AAR I did with this I used greenshot.  But I've changed computers.

What do you recommend?

bbmike

Not 100% sure but I think you can run non-Steam games under Steam and use their built in screenshot app.

[edit]Looks like it is possible
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Barthheart

If you have a newer NVidia graphics card, thye have a screen capture, and video, function built in to their software now.

Also simply using the Prt Src button and then pasting in the MS paint works too.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Barthheart on May 28, 2018, 10:44:05 AM
Also simply using the Prt Src button and then pasting in the MS paint works too.

I think that's how Greenshot works, just automated.

Airboy, can you not reinstall Greenshot on your new computer? Here's the link if you've lost it: http://getgreenshot.org
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

I'd grab CTRL-PRT SCRN and paste it into an image editor. 

Forget MS Paint, I'd highly recommend Paint.NET
https://www.getpaint.net

it lets you do multiple layers, so you can past the screenshot into the file, then create a new layer to type some text, then just move that one layer around until you get it where you need it.

The other thing you can do is paste it into PowerPoint, resize/crop it onto the slide you need, then annotate it with text boxes / arrows.

I don't normally recommend PowerPoint to anyone who has access to a better layout app like InDesign, but for someone who doesn't work with a lot of graphics layouts, PPT can handle the basic just fine, with minimal learning curve.

The advantage to PowerPoint is that you can edit text easier, once it's typed, and you can move the arrows around easier, too.
The disadvantage to PowerPoint is that when you export the slides as JPGs, you get them at a relatively lower resolution to what you can do w/ Paint.NET, so enlarging the screenshots on a bigger monitor is easier.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers