Alita: Battle Angel

Started by Huw the Poo, February 16, 2019, 06:10:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

I'm surprised there isn't a thread about this yet.  I took my daughter to see it last weekend.  I only went for her sake, with no interest on my part, but I was very pleasantly surprised.  It's no masterpiece and one of the principal cast is way out of his depth, but in all it's a thoroughly entertaining spectacle.  The main character Alita was particularly good, and whoever did her voice completely nailed it.  Christoph Waltz and Jennifer Connelly are superb as always, although Connelly was underused in my opinion.

There are a couple of plot holes, the usual pointless love story, and I've no idea how well it's gone down with fans of the original manga - but yeah on the whole I really enjoyed it.  A surprise hit in my opinion.

Sir Slash

I've been thinking this one would be a great IMAX movie to see. Did you do 2-D, 3-D, or IMAX?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Huw the Poo

2D, I don't care for the other stuff.  But if you do, I would definitely do either IMAX or 3D because the whole film is visually excellent.

MetalDog

It just came out here on Valentine's Day.  It looks really good visually from the commercials, but, it's better to have that confirmed.  Wasn't expecting an Oscar worthy script so I won't be disappointed.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Sir Slash

Dr. Strange in 3-D was FAN-tastic! It made wearing those stupid glasses worth it.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.