GMT's MBT

Started by Tinkershuffle, July 05, 2015, 09:54:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

How would you guys rate MBT and its expansions gameplay wise?
How much bang for the buck do you get when buying this and how is its replayability?

I am really searching for a good, fairly detailed, modern warfare game. I am eyeing 1985: Under an Iron Sky for scratching my operational itch, but I'd also like something more tactical like ASL is for WW2 (and now Korea recently).
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Yskonyn on May 08, 2018, 03:01:27 PM
I am really searching for a good, fairly detailed, modern warfare game. I am eyeing 1985: Under an Iron Sky for scratching my operational itch, but I'd also like something more tactical like ASL is for WW2 (and now Korea recently).

have you looked into LNLT w/ Heroes Against the Red Star and Day of Heroes and Heroes of the Falklands?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JudgeDredd

Also if you want tank on tank stuff, then their World at War series.
Alba gu' brath

Yskonyn

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 08, 2018, 03:32:14 PM
Quote from: Yskonyn on May 08, 2018, 03:01:27 PM

have you looked into LNLT w/ Heroes Against the Red Star and Day of Heroes and Heroes of the Falklands?

Yes I have. The system seems like its a fun one, but I am not too sure about the longevity of the contents in the box? With only a handful of boards it doesn't seem to sport much variety?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jack Nastyface

A couple of quick notes...
I have played two games from the Panzer / MBT series, and really enjoy the system.  Gameplay is fairly straight-forward in the basic game, but can be tweaked to include greater complexity, etc.  I also really like the scale, as I prefer to play games that represent individual tanks instead of tank platoons / squads.  I most recently played a game of Panzer, and what I like most is that there is enough detail to show the effect of the many factors that may influence the outcome of a tank battle - range, armament, hit location, armor, shell type, and of course, luck.  Here is a screen shot of some lucky / unlucky hits I had against some stug IVs: 

I have also played the WaW series, which is also very enjoyable and plays fairly easily, but the units represent larger formations (company or troop, I think???).

If you are looking for a somewhat detailed game dealing the modern armor that doesn't require excessive book-keeping and micro-management, I think MBT is probably the best thing on the market right now.

Yours in gaming,

Jack Nastyface
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Bison

Honestly you could ditch the leg unit rules and not miss out on much with Panzer.

Yskonyn

Anyone up for some vassal / skype play soonish?

BanzaiCat

You might reach out to mirth - he owns MBT and at least one expansion (BAOR), but I'm not sure if he's had a chance to read the rules/play it yet.

Nefaro

I've only been familiar with the original series rules.  They were pretty awesome back in the day.  Especially considering the individual vehicle scale.  \m/  The new editions look to be pretty much the same system.  :notworthy:

I actually sold my old 1993 AH version of IDF a couple months ago, but I also used to own AH's MBT and the Excalibre version of Panzer.  Great stuff.  I wouldn't mind picking up the newest MBT but I've actually been trimming my game collection down lately so that may not happen for awhile.  Plus it looks so much better nowadays, compared to the old '80s era quality.  :coolsmiley:

JudgeDredd

I'm surprised to see MBT have a difficulty rating of 3.75. I had it many years ago (90s) and it was very complex iirc.
Alba gu' brath

Crossroads

Quote from: Jack Nastyface on May 09, 2018, 06:00:33 PM

I have also played the WaW series, which is also very enjoyable and plays fairly easily, but the units represent larger formations (company or troop, I think???).

Nations at War (WW2) and World at War (WW3) are both at platoon scale. Nice games for sure, both sets.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

DennisS

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 11, 2018, 05:57:22 AM
I'm surprised to see MBT have a difficulty rating of 3.75. I had it many years ago (90s) and it was very complex iirc.

I played MBT back in the day, and me and my friend struggled with the complexity. Not that we were stupid...my friend had his doctorate in meteorology, but the ruleset wasn't laid out well at all.