Russia Government Shakeup

Started by airboy, January 16, 2020, 12:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

The #2 person in the Russian Government resigned and Putin has proposed new power to an executive council that he heads.  Large revamps of the government structure have been submitted to the Duma.

This was story #3 in the paper today (behind the US/China trade deal & the impeachment transmission).

I've read that Putin is scared that if he does not maintain power that whomever comes into power will have him shot.  The WSJ reported that Russians are mad about the corruption in the economy, and that Medvid (the recent #2 guy) was in charge of that and was removed as the fall guy.

Personally, I'm not seeing that much change in how Russia is run compared to the 1800s.  We have a current Czar (Putin).  He appoints people and delegates power.  He removes them when he deems necessary.  There is the sideshow of the Duma - but it does not act to oppose the Czar.

Gusington

The historical roots of the way Russia is run now go back to the 16th century and Ivan the Terrible. I've read and seen many portrayals of the Russian people as always craving a 'strongman' like many of the czars, Lenin, Stalin, Kruschev, Brezhnev and now Putin. From what I have read Gorbachev is a pariah in Russia even now in 2020.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

Another example of how "our" form of Democracy doesn't work/is not wanted by many places in the world.

Gusington

I wish more people could recognize and accept that.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

Sir Slash

Welcome to Putinland! Or, Putinstan. Or maybe, Nippleopole.  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.