JTS' "The Seven Years War" -- RELEASED

Started by Cyrano, August 23, 2018, 11:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philippe

Since you're here, I've noticed that dragoons can fire when they're mounted on horseback.

Was that the practise in the mid-eighteenth century? 

If it was, shouldn't there be some kind of difference between firing mounted and firing dismounted?  I think dismounted dragoons only fire with 80% strength.  If mounted and dismounted are using the same values that would imply a 20% penalty for firing mounted.

(Very nice game, by the way).
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

GaryMc

The dragoon's carbines are a bit tricky in all cases.  Really, they were more meant for skirmishing than battlefield use (and the team debated back and forth just rating them as Light Cav and taking away the carbines.)

That said, because of various modifiers, they're generally going to fire with almost negligible values.  I just did a fast test here, and an entire squadron was firing at a value of "1".

Ideally, it shouldn't happen at all, and I can see if John will change it in a future patch, but for the time being, it's another of those things I missed.

Philippe

The problem comes when you're charging and are then prompted to fire in the offensive fire phase before you close.  While I suppose it's realistic enough that the dragoons would incur a penalty if they go in blazing, I thought that kind of thing went out of fashion with Gustavus Adolphus.

On a side note, one of the things that makes this game so much fun to play is that there aren't dozens of skirmisher units cluttering things up. 

GaryMc

Yeah, as late as the era of Marlborough, some armies would still do a last pistol fire before they charged home (not the English though, that was one of Marlborough's reforms, to get rid of that.) Certainly not by this era.

As I said, it is something I'll look at. 

Yeah, I do like the fact that the only skirms you find are from the dedicated light infantry units. 

Philippe

There may simply be something about this that I should understand but that I don't.

This is the end of the getting started scenario.  I'm playing as the Austrians against the AI.

The Austrians have captured all of the Prussian guns.  Just before they did that they also destroyed one Prussian gun.

The victory results only seem to take the one destroyed gun into account, but not the captured guns.

Apart from that, this doesn't look like a draw to me. 

Austrian infantry casualties were a bit high, but not that high.

The Prussian position has been completely overrun, and the Prussians have been driven into the forest: the few surviving infantry seem to be routed and heading off the map.

Am I missing something?  It won't be the first time

(And yes, my unit counters have beveled edges, but that's just a personal mod).

GaryMc

Actually, you are getting credit for the captured guns.  It doesn't show in the Losses Column, but does show in the VP column (200 VP is enough points for all the guns, not just one tube.)

Hrms, you're right on the victory conditions, I'll look at that.

GaryMc

I've got a running entry of things "to be fixed" in the first patch that just keeps growing :(

Rest assured though, I'm making note of all this stuff.

panzerde

Quote from: GaryMc on September 01, 2018, 03:00:32 PM
Actually, you are getting credit for the captured guns.  It doesn't show in the Losses Column, but does show in the VP column (200 VP is enough points for all the guns, not just one tube.)

Hrms, you're right on the victory conditions, I'll look at that.

I'm not sure if something changed between when I tested that and release or what. With similar results to when Philippe describes, I score minor victories twice.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

GaryMc

He's right on the edge (35 points short) of going into minor victory.

rahamy

I made multiple changes to this scenario and spent a lot of time on the A/I here to ensure it wasn't a walk in the park. Apparently I was successful.  ;)  I can look at tweaking the thresholds a bit for the first update.
Wargame Design Studio
Operations Manager
https://wargameds.com/

Philippe

Seven Years War doesn't need modding, but one thing that is missing is a game-specific shortcut icon.

I've found that you often need two of them, one for the battles and one for the campaigns.  Here's what I've come up with so far:

Here's a link:

https://app.box.com/s/729rownrhfpz2rs0qsxyulc5rl9xdc3y

stolypin

Quote from: GaryMc on September 01, 2018, 03:05:04 PM
I've got a running entry of things "to be fixed" in the first patch that just keeps growing :(

Rest assured though, I'm making note of all this stuff.

Greatly appreciated!

MengJiao

Quote from: Philippe on September 02, 2018, 11:12:49 AM
Seven Years War doesn't need modding, but one thing that is missing is a game-specific shortcut icon.

I've found that you often need two of them, one for the battles and one for the campaigns.  Here's what I've come up with so far:

If anyone is interested I can post a link.

I like the early-twentieth century rendition of Seydlitz throwing away his pipe.  Mean while, I did a version of Moys in which "Bevern" (ie really Winterfelt as played by Frederick II in this scenario) tries to escape only to be possibly cornered by Grenzer (as played by the Grenzers from the Kolin.oob):

Philippe

I've added a link for downloading the icons to my earlier post above.

rahamy

I've adjusted the victory conditions on the Getting Started scenario and that will go with the next update.

We're also in the process of working on the expansion package for this. Rich White did a lot of work during development on company scale scenarios. We'll be adding to that some new scenarios from Gary and I will be putting together some hypothetical actions for meeting engagements, etc. 3D is also in the works, so hopefully it all can come together around the same time. And as always for anything we do post-release, this will be a free addition.

Over all we've had pretty positive feedback on this release. Hope those who have picked it up are enjoying it!
Wargame Design Studio
Operations Manager
https://wargameds.com/