WoW: The Boardgame - found!

Started by BanzaiCat, August 23, 2013, 06:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

I had obtained a copy of World of Warcraft: The Boardgame at (I think) GenCon in 2006. I brought it home among a plethora of other games, then promptly lost it. I could not find the damn thing to save my life; admittedly once I got home with it I put it up somewhere and then when I finally had a chance to get to it again...well jeez, where the hell did I put it? I never did find it, and maybe once a year I'd go tearing apart the house trying to find it, but it was always no joy.

In preparation for re-doing my home office to fit my new job, I was cleaning out my computer hutch tonight and guess what I found...freaking World of Warcraft: The Boardgame hidden away on top. $@#&!#$*%.

Completely preserved and intact, not even punched.

My daughter's seen it and is all "How do you play? How do you play?" Looks like I know what I'll be doing this weekend. I can't believe I had it pretty much right by my head on top of this stupid hutch. I'm glad I'm getting rid of the hutch so things don't go disappearing into the top hidden black hole any more.

Martok

LOL! 

Believe me when I say that I'm laughing in sympathy, though, not scorn.  I had a similar situation two years ago where, when I'd moved back to my hometown, I somehow lost/misplaced a box containing some of my favorite PC games and films (plus my case with all seven seasons of The West Wing).  It drove me absolutely bonkers that I couldn't find the bloody thing...and then just a couple months ago, it magically appeared at the top of a stack of boxes that I *know* I'd already searched before.  :o  Go figure. 

In any case, glad you finally found the game again, and here's hoping you enjoy it!  If it turns out to be any good, please let us know.  :) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

BanzaiCat

What's more of a pisser is this damn WoW game is like six feet long and weighs 40 pounds. I'm still kicking myself, but at least I can laugh about it.

Arctic Blast

I had that one for awhile, along with the big expansion that adds another freaking board to the mix. Took up more table space than any other board game that I have ever owned (including Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition). Didn't get played too much, and I got offered a decent chunk of coin, so away it went. Has some really neat ideas, though.

BanzaiCat

I saw it on Amazon for $225, on Ebay for a lot less but still pretty decent. I'm thinking about selling it now - maybe my daughter will forget she saw it, especially now that I have the X-Wing minis game coming to the house soon.

I saw Twilight Imperium (3rd ed.) at the hobby store for $89, and was sorely tempted to buy it.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 24, 2013, 09:43:00 AM
I saw it on Amazon for $225, on Ebay for a lot less but still pretty decent. I'm thinking about selling it now - maybe my daughter will forget she saw it, especially now that I have the X-Wing minis game coming to the house soon.

I saw Twilight Imperium (3rd ed.) at the hobby store for $89, and was sorely tempted to buy it.

Yeah, if WoW is in decent shape, you can make some money. Keeping in mind that your shipping costs with that monster are going to be nasty.

TI3 is an outstanding game, BUT...it isn't going to be played much. It's one of those twice a year 'Hey, everyone actually has time!' things that get planned out weeks in advance.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Arctic Blast on August 24, 2013, 04:48:45 PMIt's one of those twice a year 'Hey, everyone actually has time!' things that get planned out weeks in advance.

I can't think of any FFG game for which that is not a true statement :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Martok

Quote from: Arctic Blast on August 24, 2013, 04:48:45 PM
TI3 is an outstanding game, BUT...it isn't going to be played much. It's one of those twice a year 'Hey, everyone actually has time!' things that get planned out weeks in advance.
I can personally testify that this is so.  *wistful sigh* 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

GJK

How much do you want to sell the hutch for?

Heh!

I found a copy of Civilization the boardgame (original) at a thrift store for $1.00.  It had a 1000 mini's laying in the box and I wasn't sure how much, if any was missing.  Got it home and did an inventory and surprisingly, it is complete.  The map for this thing is huge as well and mounted on heavy card stock.  I haven't played it yet, but I do know where I've put it.  :)
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

BanzaiCat

^ See, stories like this drive me crazy, how someone goes into a thrift shop and finds some awesome nearly-intact game for a buck or two. I never, ever have this luck.  :'(

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 27, 2013, 07:50:41 AM
^ See, stories like this drive me crazy, how someone goes into a thrift shop and finds some awesome nearly-intact game for a buck or two. I never, ever have this luck.  :'(

You gotta shop more thrift stores!  Take a fashion cue from Gary :)

(oh yeah, and he's probably the closest guy to your location on here, too, so odds are he found that Civ boardgame at a store in easy driving distance to you ;) )
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GJK

No - we're talking Texas here where it's 2 to 6 hours between any of the major cities.  In this case, I'm about 4  hours away.  But the Civ game was at a Goodwill store.  We have several around the Austin area and if I finish a service call early and I'm near one of them, I'll poke my head in real quick and check it out.  I also picked up a copy of Settlers of Catan for $10, brand new in shrink.  I got Blood Bowl at a Half Price Books store for $50. I've seen Car Wars, NATO: Next War in Europe and a few others at either Goodwill or Half Price (usually Half Price). 
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer