Western Sinai: October 8, 1973

Started by MengJiao, October 31, 2018, 11:01:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

This is the old (1995) Crisis: Sinai 1973, scenario 2: Adan attacks.  However, though historically that is what happened (ie Adan's division did attack),
for solitaire interest I'm going to see if the Egyptians can mop up and get 100 points (-100 in game terms for some reason) before I get tired of the whole thing.  Experience has shown me that in this game at least, the Egyptians can obliterate the Israelis in toto pretty fast so for "balance" (and to give the Egyptians something to chew on) Adan isn't attacking and Israel starts at -10 points and with the US Airlift running and 4 extra tank steps AND ways to get more jets if they pay with points lost.  I think the Egyptians will still clear them off the board pretty fast.  But we will see. 
   As for why the Egyptians didn't push deep into the Sinai early -- well they didn't need to.  Their war aims were basically very simple and they achieved them despite having some big defeats.  Probably blasting in the the Sinai historically would have been worse -- BUT not (I think) in this game.  But we will see:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on October 31, 2018, 11:01:25 AM

This is the old (1995) Crisis: Sinai 1973, scenario 2: Adan attacks.  However, though historically that is what happened (ie Adan's division did attack),
for solitaire interest I'm going to see if the Egyptians can mop up and get 100 points (-100 in game terms for some reason) before I get tired of the whole thing.  Experience has shown me that in this game at least, the Egyptians can obliterate the Israelis in toto pretty fast so for "balance" (and to give the Egyptians something to chew on) Adan isn't attacking and Israel starts at -10 points and with the US Airlift running and 4 extra tank steps AND ways to get more jets if they pay with points lost.  I think the Egyptians will still clear them off the board pretty fast.  But we will see. 
   As for why the Egyptians didn't push deep into the Sinai early -- well they didn't need to.  Their war aims were basically very simple and they achieved them despite having some big defeats.  Probably blasting in the the Sinai historically would have been worse -- BUT not (I think) in this game.  But we will see:

the Israelis spent points to get some aircraft ready and now are at -30.  It's a gamble, but one of the few things they can boost.  I guess they can get Bar-Lev to replace Gonen at Southern Command for a bargin 3 points off!  And they got the US airlift TOW weapons for free.
  So Player2 -- the Egyptians attack pretty carefully (using 12 positive points to bring over 5 brigades and some AT weapons) -- one attack per division to minimize command control problems:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on October 31, 2018, 12:27:14 PM

the Israelis spent points to get some aircraft ready and now are at -30.  It's a gamble, but one of the few things they can boost.  I guess they can get Bar-Lev to replace Gonen at Southern Command for a bargin 3 points off!  And they got the US airlift TOW weapons for free.
  So Player2 -- the Egyptians attack pretty carefully (using 12 positive points to bring over 5 brigades and some AT weapons) -- one attack per division to minimize command control problems:

Morning of the 9th (Turn 3) finds part of Magen's division cut off and Budapest having been captured.   It was a rough night up north.  Magen attacked to clear the road to Budapest and the Egyptians attacked his support echelons with infantry through the marsh and about 800 commandos that choppered in undetected.  The Egyptians might have done better just to make trouble on the supply lines, but the attack was driven back and the supplies are still cut.
   Fighting and troop movements elsewhere left the score at a very sad -3 in Egypt's favor.
   Here's the morning situation up north as the Israelis prepare to counter-attack:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on November 01, 2018, 11:09:57 AM

Morning of the 9th (Turn 3) finds part of Magen's division cut off and Budapest having been captured.   It was a rough night up north.  Magen attacked to clear the road to Budapest and the Egyptians attacked his support echelons with infantry through the marsh and about 800 commandos that choppered in undetected.  The Egyptians might have done better just to make trouble on the supply lines, but the attack was driven back and the supplies are still cut.
   Fighting and troop movements elsewhere left the score at a very sad -3 in Egypt's favor.
   Here's the morning situation up north as the Israelis prepare to counter-attack:

Nightfall on the 9th.  the Israelis have gotten back to a more coherent line and have a full-strength armored bde arriving.  They have a pile of shot-up tanks that they can repair near Televisia (which is now in no-man's land) and the score is -9 in Egypt's favor:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on November 01, 2018, 02:07:16 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on November 01, 2018, 11:09:57 AM

Nightfall on the 9th.  the Israelis have gotten back to a more coherent line and have a full-strength armored bde arriving.  They have a pile of shot-up tanks that they can repair near Televisia (which is now in no-man's land) and the score is -9 in Egypt's favor:

The Israelis attack on the night of the 9th, lose an A-4 step and blast an Egyptian Infantry Bde back a long way (a breakthrough even):

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on November 02, 2018, 04:02:24 PM

The Israelis attack on the night of the 9th, lose an A-4 step and blast an Egyptian Infantry Bde back a long way (a breakthrough even):

The Egyptians attack way south -- hoping to draw off some pressure from the north.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on November 02, 2018, 04:04:17 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on November 02, 2018, 04:02:24 PM

The Egyptians attack way south -- hoping to draw off some pressure from the north.

Nightfall October 10.  The Israelis have retreated down south and face a big Egyptian offensive up north.  The score is -32.  Three or four more days like the 10th and the Egyptians get a scenario victory and all their war aims.  The Egyptians have an armored division that hasn't even crossed the canal yet.  So -- more retreating or another counter-attack?  I'll throw the dice and see what happens.  The game is played with up to 3 dice -- but I'm going with one: 1 or 2 fall back up north, 3-4 adjust with minor attacks, 5-6 as big a counter-attack as possible:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on November 06, 2018, 12:42:18 PM

Nightfall October 10.  The Israelis have retreated down south and face a big Egyptian offensive up north.  The score is -32.  Three or four more days like the 10th and the Egyptians get a scenario victory and all their war aims.  The Egyptians have an armored division that hasn't even crossed the canal yet.  So -- more retreating or another counter-attack?  I'll throw the dice and see what happens.  The game is played with up to 3 dice -- but I'm going with one: 1 or 2 fall back up north, 3-4 adjust with minor attacks, 5-6 as big a counter-attack as possible:

The morning of the 11th finds the Egyptians looking at a large Israeli force on the Canal.  Historically this would have been very good for the Egyptians and even in this scenario -- a probable minor defeat -- but nothing too bad.  So the Israelis rolled themselves a 6 and the score is -34 (due to pretty heavy loses on both sides).  I think this game breaks down at this point for 3 reasons: 1) too much hindsight in the solo player 2) Useless rules for getting Israelis across the canal 3) a need for some kind of political cards and/or a point system -- if there was ever a politically-driven war -- this is it.  So -- End of Game -- minor probably beneficial defeat for Egypt: