Close Combat: The Longest Day

Started by TheFjordFox, February 19, 2022, 07:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFjordFox

Hello again!

So, as I've stated in a previous thread; I am a seasoned veteran of the CC franchise, and have about 25 years of experience with them. Picked up my first CC game in the 90s, when I got a hold of the CC2 demo off a CD from a gaming magazine. Was amazed then, and love the games still! Currently I'm on a mission to play through all CC games with both factions in the grand campaigns of the respective games. I will be putting them all up on youtube, in due time. It's just something I've wanted to do for a while, and at some point I decided "you know what? I'm just gonna do it!" - and so here we are! Prior to this playthrough, I have also finished with both sides in Cross of Iron and Last Stand Arnhem. More to come in the future!

However!

Here's the links to the first episodes in each playthrough: (I'll edit in the German one once I finish the Allied playthrough.)

Hope some of y'all can get something out of it. Have a good one!
I'm just another random.

Boggit

Nice. I hope you post more here! :bd:
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

TheFjordFox

I'm happy to hear you say that :)

I don't wish to be spammy/intrusive, but I'm happy to share my videos here from time to time with people that might be interested in them! :)

And on that note - I am now working my way through the German campaign. And I gotta tell ya... this one hits different. Some nice battles to be had, for sure, but also a lot of frustrations to be had in regards to shortcoming of the game that become very clear when playing as the Germans.

Either way, here's the first video of it;

Have a good one, y'all! :)
I'm just another random.

al_infierno

As one of two Grogheads Spam Commissars, I approve of your non-spammy self promotion  O0  Keep 'em coming!
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

^Totally not spam. Not even a pork product. Totally kosher.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Agree, always looking for a reason to open up a Close Combat title from my library.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

GDS_Starfury

Im tempted to offer myself up as a live opponent but I dont have the time  :'(
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

ffs life was so much simpler back then  :-[

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

that game had some real awesome characters playing! 
that environment was how I go onto the ol' WG site, fast forward and here we are.
and since CC3 no matter what game it is or what team Im a part of Ive never ever changed my name.

TheFjordFox

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 07, 2022, 11:06:23 AM
Im tempted to offer myself up as a live opponent but I dont have the time  :'(

Perhaps some time in the future :) I'm very focused on the vanilla vs. AI experience at the moment with these games anyway, but I would love to challenge myself against opponents with an actual brain that doesn't suffer from horrible programming when I'm done with my project! :)

Quote from: ArizonaTank on March 06, 2022, 11:19:21 AM
Agree, always looking for a reason to open up a Close Combat title from my library.

Happy to hear, and I can certainly relate to that statement! :P

I would also like to thank al_infierno and Gusington, among others, for making me feel welcome and at home here. I truly do appreciate it! :)
I'm just another random.