Origins 2018 ~ June 13-17 (Columbus OH)

Started by bayonetbrant, June 21, 2017, 07:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

Damn, that sucks airboy. Glad you made it home safe.  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

Quote from: airboy on June 19, 2018, 01:14:00 PMAfter 11+ hours on the road I spent the night in Athens, AL.

Should have called MetalDog!

glad you're home in one piece
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

The Players Aid posted this one on Twitter, but I haven't seen Origins officially release it

QuoteAttendance hit another record high at 18,648, an increase of 1,647 or 8.8% over 2017. Turnstile attendance also hit a record high at 70,765, an increase of 11,807 or 16.7% over 2017.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

airboy

According to Rogue Cthulhu leadership, average events in previous years have a 60% attendance.  This year the Rogue events were running 70%+.  The Ogre events were all full.  My event had no preregistration, but sold out with newbies who got tickets that day.

bbmike

^Probably because Steve Jackson was there.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

the first of several gameplay galleries from Origins, including Larry Bond's battleship minis game

http://grogheads.com/featured-posts/18999

bayonetbrant

panzerde

I heard rumblings about this yesterday.

Honestly, I'm so damn tired after the first day at Origins I can't imagine having the energy to harass anyone even if I wanted to. I can barely work up to taunting my fellow Grogs, let alone have the energy to follow someone back to their hotel. I'm lucky to be able to harass a sammich at lunch time.

Anyone that can manage what's being reported here is not just reprehensible, they're doing Origins really, really wrong.

I'll note that I also had a nice chat with Katie Aidley in the Grogs booth, concerning wargaming - she's a confirmed wargamer - and aside from the fact that she's well-spoken and intelligent (as wargamers tend to be) I also think you'd probably be asking for an ass-kicking if you pulled this crap on her.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

bbmike

Agree, terrible that this is still going on. I also talked to Katie and had the same impression of her. She was even really interested in joining the next Kriegsspiel here! We need people like her in wargaming and those harassing idiots can all go to hell.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

FWIW, it appears the harassing asshat was not from the wargaming world

panzerde

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 21, 2018, 12:31:51 PM
FWIW, it appears the harassing asshat was not from the wargaming world

That was my sense. I mean, if it was we'd probably already know, because anyone that was a major wargame designer was either already in the booth with us or someone we were probably around a good deal.

Goes to show that there's just nothing good about Euros...

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Advocator

I only learned about Katie and her blog due to those reports.  I've since subscribed to her blog, she's got amazing taste in games!  For those who, like me an hour ago, aren't familiar with her blog, you can find it here: https://katiesgamecorner.com/

airboy

Quote from: Advocator on June 21, 2018, 08:07:01 PM
I only learned about Katie and her blog due to those reports.  I've since subscribed to her blog, she's got amazing taste in games!  For those who, like me an hour ago, aren't familiar with her blog, you can find it here: https://katiesgamecorner.com/

Interesting blog.  Some of the games she reviewed are very interesting.

I read the harassment post.  Some of what she describes is terrible, others are not.  Somebody asking her out is not harassment (as long as they can take no for an answer).  Some of it is awful.  Emailing pictures and attempting to force affection is wretched.  People should report this sort of thing. 

I disagree with her statement that the female should just be believed.  If you allow one type of person (insert whatever type you wish) to be automatically right if they make any claim, you get tyranny.  Some of the activities she described have very clear evidence.  And today almost everyone is carrying around a recording device which makes substantiating claims much easier.

I had to deal with some of this BS as an academic administrator.  That included telling a parent that their son was lucky to be alive when he failed to break down the apartment door of the girl he was harassing when drunk.  An off campus apartment with 4 girls has a high likelihood of a firearm - and going through the door before the cops came could have been death by drunken stupidity.  The Dad was aghast that I told him that.  This sort of thing is a horrible pain to deal with, but you have to do it if you have the job.  But you have to do it right to protect everyone involved.  This is not easy and yet another reason I resigned from academic administration.

If asking out somebody you game with is "harassment" I would not have married my wife whom I met through D&D.

Every session I played at Origins, excepting Ogre, had a female GM or female players.  The game I ran had four males and two females.  The game I ran was rated 17+ for content (drugs, murder, gang wars, bent cops, rape, (and human sacrifice to make the drug - not discovered by my Origins group because they used gang contacts to level the cultists)).  Call of Cthulhu is pretty horrible in terms of content, but the sessions were labeled appropriately.  I had 3 female GMs for Cthulhu sessions - and the sessions involved cults, murders, and the opportunity to sacrifice party members to appease Serpent Men and let the rest escape depending on the game.

bayonetbrant

mirth

this is the sort of hardcore wargaming that drew me to Origins in the first place

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus