New column: Tracer Rounds!

Started by bayonetbrant, January 04, 2016, 11:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arctic Blast

Another similar article posted by Ken Burnside (Ad Astra Games) that was pretty well put together : https://medium.com/@ken.burnside/for-good-men-to-see-nothing-c1be3e65c52f#.hdz421h6d

Basically : Of course we aren't all sex predators in the making. But maybe we should stop pretending everything is A-OK.

bayonetbrant

I'm taking this week off on Tracer Rounds.  Will be back next week
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

yes it's late this week.  but at least Tracer Rounds is back

http://grogheads.com/?p=11133
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Emeraldlis

Hi mate , just read your article , and , wow , I'm sorry to hear you've lost a good friend over the last subject topic in your tracer rounds column , that just sucks  :( honestly though Brant , I think you didn't have much of a choice in getting involved because the topic of women and war gaming was being discussed on this site , and I think that someone who's in charge here should have stepped up and put across their opinions , which you , sir, did admirably O0  I'm thinking that maybe you and your friend probably share the same opinions , but maybe he's just misunderstood how you've come across to him , taken it personally when their was no harm intended by you  :-\  your opinions were aimed at the wider community , not him personally , I hope when you've both had some space to think things through , that you can just reiterate that to him . Good friends are hard to come by , I doubt that anyone deep down ever wants to let go of a meaningful friendship , I really hope you guys work this out  :) keep your chin up mate , I think you did the right thing , being true to oneself is always the right thing to do .

I enjoyed your article , I agree that ideally gaming should be social . We are supposed to interact with a game , otherwise how do you grow , learn .....have fun !!!! I know solitaire gaming is fun also , but I don't think in the long run that solo gaming is as much fun as having a group of like minded people all interacting, playing a game together that they love , that's just pure unadulterated bliss , Imo :)  Also that was a great track at the end , really cool :)  My daughter happens to be in America right now , and listening to that track just made me doubley jealous that I'm not there myself !!!!!! I have a question that is maybe very stupid , but what does FLGS stand for !?!?!? As a newb to all of this ,the abbreviations are not obvious to me  :idiot2: I'm guessing it's some kind of gaming/hobby store in America maybe ?
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

bayonetbrant

Boggit

Blimey Brant, Tracer Rounds 1 got some steam let out.

FWIW, I don't disagree with your assessment of the way women get treated, and frankly I wouldn't want my wife or daughter treated like you mentioned either, whether they're gaming or not.

I'm sorry you had a falling out  with your friend, but if he's offended so easy because you have an opinion, then he needs to either grow up a little, or develop a thicker skin. I didn't see anything particularly vindictive on your part for him to get so upset.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Boggit on May 03, 2016, 06:38:05 PMFWIW, I don't disagree with your assessment of the way women get treated, and frankly I wouldn't want my wife or daughter treated like you mentioned either, whether they're gaming or not.

I'm sorry you had a falling out  with your friend, but if he's offended so easy because you have an opinion, then he needs to either grow up a little, or develop a thicker skin. I didn't see anything particularly vindictive on your part for him to get so upset.

That actually wasn't the first column.  That was just the one that forced me to take a break.  They go back to January, and there's a few in there that I'm pretty proud of :)

MetalDog

As you should be.  Some of them are very good.  All the Friendly Local Game Stores in my area are comics and CCG's.  The biggest in the area has an upstairs gaming area and throws in D&D and board games and minis. 
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Emeraldlis

Thanks , I now know what FLGS stands for , along with a whole host of other unobvious abbreviations!!!  O0
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

Steelgrave

Quote from: Emeraldlis on May 04, 2016, 07:27:57 AM
Thanks , I now know what FLGS stands for , along with a whole host of other unobvious abbreviations!!!  O0

Hang around here long enough and you'll learn lots of abbreviations you didn't know before....and some will describe things you'd rather not know.  Urban dictionary is not my friend  :crazy2:

mirth

Quote from: Steelgrave on May 04, 2016, 08:48:16 AM
Hang around here long enough and you'll learn lots of abbreviations you didn't know before....and some will describe things you'd rather not know.  Urban dictionary is not my friend  :crazy2:

Dude, you're referenced in half those Urban Dictionary definitions.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

he's the inspiration of half those Urban Dictionary definitions.

MetalDog

Is he one of the girls?  Or the cup?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

mirth

Quote from: MetalDog on May 04, 2016, 05:25:00 PM

He is all things to many pervs.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Emeraldlis

Quote from: Steelgrave on May 04, 2016, 08:48:16 AM
Quote from: Emeraldlis on May 04, 2016, 07:27:57 AM

Hanging around with you guys is definately an education in of itself  ;D  I actually thought I knew quite a bit about the inner workings of the male mind , and now I find after being around you guys that I don't know as much as I thought  :o  you guys are definately a lot of fun !!, and your ability to "euphemism " knows no bounds , it's a skill you all seem to have in abundance , and I think I'm being slowly corrupted    ;D

Quote from: MetalDog on May 04, 2016, 05:25:00 PM

Is this girl and this cup something I should know about , now that I'm more acquainted with you guys  ::) or will it more than likely shock my .....um .....long lost innocence  O:-)