Quick build

Started by JudgeDredd, May 11, 2018, 05:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Airfix 1/72 F4F-4 Wildcat

I decided to build something small again to try out painting after my "near" disaster with my Vulcan. It went much better than planned -using Tamiya X20A thinners.

I have noticed I haven't painted the back wheel. I'll be getting that done, another coat of klear and then some cement wash.
Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

Looks like you got the hang of it  O0
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

That's pretty cool. I like the sticker details on the prop.

mirth

Nice job, JD! Love the Wildcat  O0
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

acctingman

That looks great JD. Wildcat is an iconic plane, at least for me it is and you nailed it.

JudgeDredd

Thanks guys.

I used a Humbrol conversion chart to determine the colours...and personally I think the bottom is a bit dark myself. Certainly in the photo it looks more white than grey.

I done a bit of pre-shading on the underside

Also - who'd have thunked that the Wildcat is actually "Dark Sea Grey"? I always thought they looked blue - but the conversion was to Tamiya Dark Sea Grey!!

Collection of aircraft so far

I would like to add a Spitfire, Hurricane, Bearcat, F4U Corsair, Me109, Focke Wulf, Ju-87, Ju-88, Do-17, He-111 - trouble is, I'm running out of space which means a cull would be required and the only one I wouldn't mind getting rid of from that collection is the He111.
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

Seems the only solution is a bigger flat.  :)

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

BanzaiCat

mirth

JudgeDredd

Right - it's finished and I'm moving on

Oh and thanks for the suggestions - but the wife stays  O0 :hug:
Alba gu' brath

GDS_Starfury

you are in desperate need of Microsol decal solution.  it will get them nice and snug and get rid of the silvering around the edges.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

DoctorQuest

Nice bird, JD. Were you tempted to build a Martlet?

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on May 15, 2018, 10:32:52 AM
you are in desperate need of Microsol decal solution.  it will get them nice and snug and get rid of the silvering around the edges.
OI! I used that stuff. Both MicroSet and MicroSol.

I may not have used enough...I have used so much Microsol before that the decal broke. It really depends on the decals I think how much punishment they can take from the MicroSol...there's just no telling until you break them.

But granted - I should experiment.

Quote from: DoctorQuest on May 15, 2018, 11:26:46 AM
Nice bird, JD. Were you tempted to build a Martlet?

Noe because it didn't come with those schemes or, more importantly, decals. Looks nice though. I wonder if I've seen that at Duxford...off to check  ;D
Alba gu' brath

GDS_Starfury

then maybe its an application issue. 
in a perfect world all models get a gloss finish before the decals.  the decals can be moved into place with q-tips not fingers.  also put a dab of solution on the surface before you apply the decals.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.