Obituaries / Death Notices

Started by Greybriar, September 16, 2017, 09:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greybriar

Am I the only one who misses seeing posts about famous people who have died recently in the General Discussion or Current Events forums? Now it appears to be necessary to visit the Music, TV, Movies board to find the news about recent deaths of musicians and actors; the Sports board to read the news about recent deaths of athletes; the Books & Reading forum to read the news about recent deaths of authors; etc. It seems a waste of time to me.

When I read the obituaries in my local paper, there is a section devoted to them. The famous personalities are on the front page. Can't we do something similar here? I'm not suggesting a subforum devoted entirely to the subject of deaths of notable people (or perhaps even us forum members some day in the distant future), but permit threads to be started in the Current Events forum, for example.

What do you think?
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

OJsDad

I would say if anything, I'd make a sub category for obits.  I've always tried to put the obits that I post in the appropriate section for what the person was know for, except for politicians, whom I would place in current events. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

I'm interested to hear what others think, too.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Steelgrave

I think OJsDads' solution is good. Putting it under Current Events will keep folks from having to dig around and it does make sense to have obits in one place. And old guys like me, well....it will be the first place I check every morning to make sure I'm not listed.   :buck2:

Pete Dero

I click on 'Show unread posts since last visit'  (above left of the screen) and then it doesn't matter where it is was posted.

mirth

I'm not sure I need a constant reminder of my impending demise.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus