Today's Article: Napoleonic Battles & Travels

Started by bayonetbrant, September 08, 2016, 10:49:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The first of a planned series, Cyrano talks about Jena-Auerstadt in preparation for a road trip

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

airboy

That was very interesting.  Will this be an AAR combined with a trip to the battlefield?

Was that Jar Jar Binks with the miniatures?  If so, please double-tap to ensure his demise.

Sir Slash

Enjoyed the article as well. I hope there will be some modern photos of the battlefield during the trip.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Cyrano

Thanks for the kind words.

The intent is to appear periodically hereabouts and discuss the campaign, games about the campaign, the kriegsspiel that's organizing about the campaign (HINT: Players wanted!), and to end it all with the visit itself.

Many photographs will be provided.

Looking forward to the exercise.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

JasonPratt

Quote from: airboy on September 08, 2016, 09:09:28 PM
Was that Jar Jar Binks with the miniatures?  If so, please double-tap to ensure his demise.

{squinting}

...a dinosaur?! I think there were still some pterodactyl sightings going on in Europe in the early 1800s, but not that kind of dinosaur!  ::)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Cyrano

Ha!

Most perceptive.

Gift from the child of a dear friend who admired my toy soldier collection and felt it needed a friend.

Surprised none of commented on the Heroclix Trooper also evident fighting for the British.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

airboy

Quote from: Cyrano on September 10, 2016, 11:47:39 AM
Ha!

Most perceptive.

Gift from the child of a dear friend who admired my toy soldier collection and felt it needed a friend.

Surprised none of commented on the Heroclix Trooper also evident fighting for the British.

When I saw Jar Jar I thought bang, bang (double-tap).  That blocked out everything else.

Cyrano

Back from a long day of work and I see it made the page.  Hoorah.

Reading it over again at some weeks remove, the only thing I might have added is that the counters for Saalfeld are very nicely done.  I particularly like the color palette.  If DG could sort out their QC, they'd be amongst my favorite companies...

panzerde

I'll note that I like DG's Saalfeld enough that I bought a copy for myself after playing it, Despite a couple of wonky rules - largely cleared up in errata - it's a good game. I think the system as a whole is very interesting, and wish they had more games using it.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Boggit

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

MetalDog

Hopefully, by the next installment, you will be telling of the great Prussian victory led by Blucher and destined to live in the annals of history as the battle that got Napoleon his A$$ handed to him!  ;)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

besilarius

Nice idea, and I look forward to your commentary when the battlefields are visited.
Was not able to visit battlefields in Germany, but found that Aspern-Essling/Wagram was a great disappointment.  Development has filled up the Marchfeld and little remains of the terrain that was fought over.
Even so, Vienna is a great place for a history buff, and the tourist bureau can help you find many locations that are off the beaten path.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Cyrano

@besilarius:  I realize the world marches on, but I do so hate it when they vandalize my battlefields.  It's one of the reasons I'm giving so little time to Leipzig:  there's so little of it it left.

I am told and remain hopeful that Jena and Auerstadt are in far better condition.

Cyrano

Good gravy has it been so long.

Part four (of what's shaping up to be six) is up:

http://grogheads.com/aars/16420

Jena proper is next.